5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tein SS Coilovers Picture Request

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
KSPORTS

THEY ARENT FINE TUNED ATM
TOP RIMS (G35 RAYS 19" IM UP A BUT HIGHER)
BOTTOM RIMS (2005 MAXIMA SLAMMED, BUT NOT ALL THE WAY DOWN.)

The guys at maperformance.com (local shop here) were telling me that ksports are better. I'm not sure if thats because they get a bigger deal with them, but they were saying that Tein is just just plain old technology. My buddy has Tein on his 6th Gen and they look and feel great, but for the price difference and quality I would go with Ksports.
Nice clean ride man!!!

What's the fog set up?

Last edited by 95VQ30; 12-07-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 PM
no more maxima...

Originally Posted by caseyvr6

d2's and i still have about 3 more inches to go lower
Can you please post more pictures of your car? I have never seen a Maxima on C4 sawblades.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Need more pics of the 5th on vette wheels
Old 12-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by MoncefA33
Need more pics of the 5th on vette wheels
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM

+2. And is that a side exit exhaust?

nvm. I just saw the other thread.

Last edited by Ninety9gle; 12-07-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by caseyvr6

d2's and i still have about 3 more inches to go lower
WTF!?!??!?! i swear i was thinking about getting some of these corvette wheels. what size adapters did you use? dear gawd that thing is gawd awfully sexy as hell!! and looks like a I30/35 from that angle...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by 95VQ30
Nice clean ride man!!!

What's the fog set up?

thanks - they are simply 8k hids from maxpowercustoms (6th gen owner)
Old 12-08-2010, 06:12 AM
Play with my balls

Go Tein, or go home.........

Old 12-08-2010, 06:16 AM

yours maxed out Paramy?
Old 12-08-2010, 06:41 AM

jowo9, why are you asking for photos? Seriously, there are a thousands of photos all over the Org for dropped rides. And whether they're dropped because of lowering springs, or dropped because of coilover settings... a drop is a drop. The value of the coilover is in the handling performance, not the visuals. You know that.

I think you're just trolling for external pressure to validate something you want, but are having a difficult time justifying.

"Maybe you have a fear of staircases. That's called Climacophobia."

Old 12-08-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rochester
jowo9, why are you asking for photos? Seriously, there are a thousands of photos all over the Org for dropped rides. And whether they're dropped because of lowering springs, or dropped because of coilover settings... a drop is a drop. The value of the coilover is in the handling performance, not the visuals. You know that.

I think you're just trolling for external pressure to validate something you want, but are having a difficult time justifying.

"Maybe you have a fear of staircases. That's called Climacophobia."

No, I'm not looking for external pressure. Trust me, the suspension is in dire need of replacement and coilovers are already justified. It was just an impulsive thread I started. I realized sometime in the first page that pictures weren't really what I was looking for, but people were contributing current opinions on the different kinds of coilovers I'm considering. I found THAT information useful, so I helped to further the thread (off-topic) because it was assisting me in acquiring some of the knowledge I was REALLY looking for. Call me horrible, but I came a long way in my coilovers decision last night (not there yet) and I don't regret the thread at all... Well, maybe the title... On the positive side, at least it was my own bad thread I was whoring...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:00 AM

what you gettin?
Old 12-08-2010, 07:03 AM

from his OP and what others say id go on a limb and say he's still sticking with Tein SS..if he has the money..do it!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:06 AM

i had the money to get tein, but went with ksports because the recommendation i recieved from my local performance shop was ksports over tein
Old 12-08-2010, 07:09 AM

Throughout the back half of last year, I was heading towards a set of Tein SS coilovers for the following Spring, expense be damned. Even my wife supported the purchase, which was a nice surprise. By this time last year, I had just about made up my mind.

Oddly enough, it was my mechanic who persuaded me otherwise, convincing me that the NVH would be intolerable for these old bones. So I bought some Blues for 1/4 the price, and kept the OEM springs.

Since then, the thing that changed my mind on this mod was the NWP Torque Link Connector. Turns out I *like* a certain amount of NVH.

And now I have regret.

There's a lesson in that story somewhere.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:11 AM

at the same time you've never had Tein either...you're saying that Ksports are better (feel better, ride quality etc) than your springs which you can vouch for because youve had springs/struts and have gone coilovers...

on a real note..unless you've gone from Ksports to Tein or any other coilover, you really cant say which coilover feels the best, and thats just truth..
Old 12-08-2010, 07:13 AM

Throughout the back half of last year, I was heading towards a set of Tein SS coilovers for the following Spring, expense be damned. Even my wife supported the purchase, which was a nice surprise. By this time last year, I had just about made up my mind.

Oddly enough, it was my mechanic who persuaded me otherwise, convincing me that the NVH would be intolerable for these old bones. So I bought some Blues for 1/4 the price, and kept the OEM springs.

Since then, the thing that changed my mind on this mod was the NWP Torque Link Connector. Turns out I *like* a certain amount of NVH.

And now I have regret.

There's a lesson in that story somewhere.
i agree with this statement although my wife never knew about the coilover purchase i was GOING to make at that time...i was told that springs/struts are closer to OEM ride than coilovers and that it was overkill unless you wanted to do road racing/auto-x which i had no plans for at that time. but now i want to do that on top of being slammed...at the end of the day..get what you want. if you dont like it, you have no one to blame but yourself
Old 12-08-2010, 07:14 AM

did i ever say the ride was better.......................?
i clearly posted i went by recommendation of my performance shop and my experience with ksport
Old 12-08-2010, 07:16 AM

did i ever say the ride was better.......................?
i clearly posted i went by recommendation of my performance shop and my experience with ksport
you're missing my point...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
you're missing my point...
youre point was i havent owned them both...and i never said that so i cant compare them....yeah thats obvious we know that...i showed him pics of my car lowered and offered my opinion, also said that i was going to get tein but had a recommendation to get ksports instead.....so again your point is taken however obvious that i cant compare 2 products when ive only had 1 of the 2 in question

now unless youre just telling the op to get what your want as your point then meh
Old 12-08-2010, 07:21 AM

Honestly, I'm on the fence between KSports and Teins. A little ride stiffness isn't going to bother me or my wife. Heck, she's probably the only org member's wife who likes their husband's 3" Cattman cat-back and headers.

I like the ride height adjustability option (for winter and summer) so coilovers are the best bet. I've heard good things about both KSports and Teins. The KSports seem like a pretty awesome purchase for the money. From what I've read, these might be the best "bang for my buck" option... I can get a set for ~$850 shipped I believe whereas Teins will be at least $1160 shipped. That'll leave me $300+ bones for other necessary maintenance. Still haven't made a decision though.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:22 AM

take them off for winter and put youf stock suspension on
Old 12-08-2010, 07:24 AM

i dont know what i want coilover wise so i know i cant tell him what i want LOL. there's at least 3 sets of coilovers id love to have. i can make it happen, but im getting myself situation first before i make a rash decision.

it was a point where you said 'get Ksports period, they ride the best, take my word for it' thats a strong opinion you voiced. i'm not trying to 'get at you' or bash you i'm just saying unless any of us of had the opportunity to ride on the different coilovers offered for our cars, much of us cant say anything but state the facts of what they offer and what not.

at the end of the day GL to the OP with teh selection of coilover you get

Originally Posted by jowo9
Honestly, I'm on the fence between KSports and Teins. A little ride stiffness isn't going to bother me or my wife. Heck, she's probably the only org member's wife who likes their husband's 3" Cattman cat-back and headers.

I like the ride height adjustability option (for winter and summer) so coilovers are the best bet. I've heard good things about both KSports and Teins. The KSports seem like a pretty awesome purchase for the money. From what I've read, these might be the best "bang for my buck" option... I can get a set for ~$850 shipped I believe whereas Teins will be at least $1160 shipped. That'll leave me $300+ bones for other necessary maintenance. Still haven't made a decision though.
yea price is a big thing for me too, but at the same time i do not want to skimp a few hundred bucks and have a real crappy feeling (DD riding). i'm still on the fence...i mean between the D2s (i've really been pushing for) and a new set of BCs, is only $100. thats for their basic CO setup. but the other BCs that are available are another $200 more than the basic ones, they are inverted, and supposedly ride better than BC (and BC are suppose to be one of the top two best riding coilovers out there) so thats my dilemna right now. i think i've settled on BCs..just a matter if i do the basic or the inverted set

Last edited by phatboislim; 12-08-2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 07:29 AM

i dont know what i want coilover wise so i know i cant tell him what i want LOL. there's at least 3 sets of coilovers id love to have. i can make it happen, but im getting myself situation first before i make a rash decision.

it was a point where you said 'get Ksports period, they ride the best, take my word for it' thats a strong opinion you voiced. i'm not trying to 'get at you' or bash you i'm just saying unless any of us of had the opportunity to ride on the different coilovers offered for our cars, much of us cant say anything but state the facts of what they offer and what not.

at the end of the day GL to the OP with teh selection of coilover you get
what i said below is no where near "get Ksports period, they ride the best, take my word for it" - sure it could imply they are the BEST, but below is my opinion based on price and what ive been told

i go on later to say ive been on a few things, but never any other coilovers...though my buddy has teins on his 6th gen, and another buddy is on teins in his 03 altima and said they are awesome.....
i went by recommendation by the shop i trust and said that i like them

dude get ksports....better price and from what im told newer technology

im on ksports and can give ya some pics of the drop, the ride is awesome on both ends of the stiffness
Old 12-08-2010, 07:31 AM

i'm dropping it and allowing this thread to go further with its intended purpose
Old 12-08-2010, 07:50 AM

d2's and like caseyvr6 said i got like 2 more inches to go! d2's go ridiculously low!

check my sig!
Old 12-08-2010, 07:53 AM

oohh almost forgot!!! my 01!
ooonnnn D2's.......

Old 12-08-2010, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by nismoSEXIMA
oohh almost forgot!!! my 01!
ooonnnn D2's.......
DIZZAMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! lol i might just go D2s for the ultimate slam factor...i'm going to have to ride all of the roads around here to make sure i there arent any slightly raised manholes so i wont rip something off the bottom of my car
Old 12-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Play with my balls

yours maxed out Paramy?
I'm 5 threads up from the bottom on each corner. No way I can max them out with 275's. lol I could possibly get the front down more, but I already have a difficult time, and I don't want to be ghetto-slammed. Just a nice clean stance.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I'm 5 threads up from the bottom on each corner. No way I can max them out with 275's. lol I could possibly get the front down more, but I already have a difficult time, and I don't want to be ghetto-slammed. Just a nice clean stance.
so maybe about 3/4" more of a drop you have available. oh lol and i know...275s are no joke..i know if i rubbed as high as i was at certain times, i KNOW you rub!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:21 AM

KSports and D2s are apparently made in the same factory and are pretty much the same from what I can gather. I think the main difference is the way you adjust them? Anyone know?
Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 AM

KSports and D2s are apparently made in the same factory and are pretty much the same from what I can gather. I think the main difference is the way you adjust them? Anyone know?
yea i believe its the D2s that can go the lower than the Ksports, dont hold me to that though. id say first, pick your max price range, then go look at teh coilovers in your max price range and go from there..its just hard to say man. you can go for as low as $600 for a set of C8sport coilovers or pay upwards to $1500 (i believe) for a top set of JICs...just depends on what you dont mind spending on a good suspension/CO
Old 12-08-2010, 08:56 AM

Can someone comment on the difference in ride quality moving from a strut/spring setup (stock or aftermarket) to coilovers? Rochester mention that there's an increase in NVH, but I always thought coilovers provided a 'smoother' ride than stock .

And also, are there any special care required to maintain them---especially during the winter?

Hope this isn't too OT jowo9, but I figured you'd benefit from the answers too.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:59 AM

id also like to know about the difference in the mounts available for these coilovers too, the pros and cons
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by lake985
Can someone comment on the difference in ride quality moving from a strut/spring setup (stock or aftermarket) to coilovers? Rochester mention that there's an increase in NVH, but I always thought coilovers provided a 'smoother' ride than stock .

And also, are there any special care required to maintain them---especially during the winter?

Hope this isn't too OT jowo9, but I figured you'd benefit from the answers too.
No, the whole thread has taken an "off topic" direction, but that's mostly because of me and that's how I want it I'd like to know this too.

id also like to know about the difference in the mounts available for these coilovers too, the pros and cons
Yeah, the Ksports/D2s come with pillow ball upper front mounts and the Tein SSs don't (but they have the option)... Is it a good thing to have the pillow ball mounts so that you can adjust camber the lower you drop, or is there some way to compensate even if you don't have the pillow ball mounts?
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 AM

And what exactly IS NVH??
Old 12-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Here's my contribution to this thread.

IMO, from what I've read over the past years on this forum, it seems that JIC's are the best, then Tein SS, then BC, then D2/K-Sport.

My brother owned a set of K-sports on his 6th gen (bought them used) and the ride wasn't that great, and to top it off, they blew within months of him getting them. Well I think only one did but still. But on the other hand, my friend who owned a SER ran D2 coilovers for about 2 years with no problem and he was slammed. But then again he didn't daily drive his car. I was set on buying Tein SS but couldn't justify the price tag so went with BC's instead. Some say BC's are better, some say Tein's are better, there's just too many variables to tell unless someone has had both on the same car driving on the same roads.

Like you already figured out, pictures of the ride height won't matter as they all go pretty low. And you stated you don't mind the harsh ride, so K-Sport doesn't seem like a bad option for you. (I thought the K-Sport's rode harsh but thats MY opinion). But you can get BC's for $900 shipped so it may be worth the extra $50?

If you want more opinion's on K-sports, I believe Majestic Ken has them and he's pretty darn low. How about Nex Coilovers? I think Perkman has them. But in the end, it'll all depend on how your road quality is and how your driving habit is and the setting you set it at.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:18 AM

Noise, vibration, and harshness
Old 12-08-2010, 09:23 AM

Oh, jowo9... Your newbie slip is showing.

It's like you're just asking for a ribbing, when Wikipedia is right at your finger tips.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by tookrzy4u192
Here's my contribution to this thread.

IMO, from what I've read over the past years on this forum, it seems that JIC's are the best, then Tein SS, then BC, then D2/K-Sport.

My brother owned a set of K-sports on his 6th gen (bought them used) and the ride wasn't that great, and to top it off, they blew within months of him getting them. Well I think only one did but still. But on the other hand, my friend who owned a SER ran D2 coilovers for about 2 years with no problem and he was slammed. But then again he didn't daily drive his car. I was set on buying Tein SS but couldn't justify the price tag so went with BC's instead. Some say BC's are better, some say Tein's are better, there's just too many variables to tell unless someone has had both on the same car driving on the same roads.

Like you already figured out, pictures of the ride height won't matter as they all go pretty low. And you stated you don't mind the harsh ride, so K-Sport doesn't seem like a bad option for you. (I thought the K-Sport's rode harsh but thats MY opinion). But you can get BC's for $900 shipped so it may be worth the extra $50?

If you want more opinion's on K-sports, I believe Majestic Ken has them and he's pretty darn low. How about Nex Coilovers? I think Perkman has them. But in the end, it'll all depend on how your road quality is and how your driving habit is and the setting you set it at.

Thanks for your contribution. That's some good stuff.

You know, I might end up with Ksports, but I've never been one to cheap out. I realize there are some arguments for the quality of Ksports over Teins, but the majority of things I've heard over the last years has been pro Tein. So we'll see...

Oh, jowo9... Your newbie slip is showing.

It's like you're just asking for a ribbing, when Wikipedia is right at your finger tips.
Funny how YOU'RE the only one feeling it necessary to rib me John. I'll argue that it's not so much noobishness as a failure to utilize google. Laziness might be a better word. Again, it doesn't seem to be bothering anyone else

Quick Reply: Tein SS Coilovers Picture Request