5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

help

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 PM

help

alright...

i have been battling a problem with no ses light and its driving me crazy!!!!!
when i start my car in the mornings it turns over fine but its not firing up right away if i let it turn over twice(gr gr gr stop gr gr gr) it fires right up, or i can turn the key to acc,let it prime, then turn the key so its just about to start turning over i can hear the fuel pump run again... let it run for an additional 2 secs then fire it up it starts prefectly!

when the car is cold and i take off it bogs at a certain throttle position but only at low rpm ( like an 1/8throttle) i can take off fast and barley feel it, once the car is warm its almost completly gone. but when its warm i can ever so slightly feel it when im just cruising if i have my foot in that throttle range. i run 89 octane its automatic 135,000 KMS 2000 max.

heres what ive done to resolve this issue
new plugs
cleaned maf
cleaned tb
new air filter
changed upper plenum gaskets and tb gasket
new cts (cool temp sensor)
looked at the intank filter( it was ok)
tested tps ( .43 -3.97ish volts moved smoothly)
p.s. i tested it when it was warm, would the cold ver. hot make a difference with a tps???? being that its worse in the cold??? should i test it in the cold,
it has had a recent oil change with synthetic oil, new tranny fluid.
p.s. its not in the tranny because i can sit when its cold in "park" and very gently rev it to 2k and it will hang there and wobble down to 1500 rpm so its nothing to do with the trans. if i start it 20 mins after it was running it starts right away but a little bit rough for like 2 seconds i can shut it off and fire it up right away and its starts nice, im assuming its not to do with the o2 sensors because when its cold its in a closed loop and the o2 sen. dont kick in until its warmed up right?????

please help me! lead me in a direction to test something.....
Old 12-19-2010, 03:57 PM

On your next tank up of gas I would suggest a full can of seafoam, to help with the bogging issue if your injectors are dirty your car will bog down ... Seafoam is an excellent cleaner for the whole fuel delivery system.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:36 PM

bogging

i cant find seafoam anywhere..... every one looks at me like im stupid hahaha... i have put some other good fuel system cleaners in it along with stabilizers thinking there was condinsation(?) in the tank, nothin... no change, would an ambien temp sensor have anything to do with it this car was maintained verywell by the previous owner im almost certain its a sensor, the tps is reading fine in volts but i havent check resistance, i heard that the tps is only used for fuel air when cold then the 02 sensors take over is that tru, i see your from canada, where did you find seafoam, im from vancouver im sure the same store is around here.... please fill me in
Originally Posted by Ghost_54
On your next tank up of gas I would suggest a full can of seafoam, to help with the bogging issue if your injectors are dirty your car will bog down ... Seafoam is an excellent cleaner for the whole fuel delivery system.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:45 PM

i just dont see it being an injector issue because its only when cold at a certain throttle position, thats why was thinking tps. but when its warm you can barley feel it, like barley but its pretty noticeable when its cold

like what other things could it be
not o2 sensors because they kick in after closed loop, even though i have it the slightest bit when warm, its alot more pronounced when cold, the maf being bad would make it more of a speratic thing thoughout warm and cold wouldnt it, i read on the 4th gen that the tps is in control of air fuel until warm up which is when my problem goes away? its definatley not a missfire because i can go up very steep hills when its warmed up and not feel a bog oor hesitation at all , when its cold its a bog for sure when its warm its more of a skip thing.

so again its only under light acceleration with gentle throttle if i drove the car hard i would probably not have noticed this but i take it easy on my cars so i have picked it up now and need to get down to the bottom of it! no codes at all scaned even though no ses light was on

Originally Posted by getflushed
i cant find seafoam anywhere..... every one looks at me like im stupid hahaha... i have put some other good fuel system cleaners in it along with stabilizers thinking there was condinsation(?) in the tank, nothin... no change, would an ambien temp sensor have anything to do with it this car was maintained verywell by the previous owner im almost certain its a sensor, the tps is reading fine in volts but i havent check resistance, i heard that the tps is only used for fuel air when cold then the 02 sensors take over is that tru, i see your from canada, where did you find seafoam, im from vancouver im sure the same store is around here.... please fill me in
Old 12-19-2010, 07:05 PM

NAPA stores carry it as well as Part Source as you are in Canada both of these stores should be in your area

Just did a quick Google search for your area and "Lordco" "Central Auto Parts and Distribution" & "CarQuest" carries the product, I am not familiar with the name out here in the East.

Last edited by Ghost_54; 12-19-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:29 PM

sea foam....

so i fianlly found sea foam, i can feel a difference in throttle response but i still have trouble starting cold or hot and bogging when cold....... im stumped ive done so much and its still there, i might just have to let it be , i am noticing a little bit of low end power loss to though.... i think it just feels slower, and ive noticed when i come to a stop light but dont fully stop it has troubles when i go to floor it, like it didnt downshift properly, im pretty sure this is all in relation to a bad sensor still but no luck finding it yet....
Originally Posted by Ghost_54
NAPA stores carry it as well as Part Source as you are in Canada both of these stores should be in your area

Just did a quick Google search for your area and "Lordco" "Central Auto Parts and Distribution" & "CarQuest" carries the product, I am not familiar with the name out here in the East.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:37 PM

check compression, and check for vacuum leaks

do you have stock cats?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 PM

I've looked for vac leaks.... nothing turned up, i even replaced the plenum gasket with no luck. I don't see it being bad compression because it only bogs in between 1500 and 1800 to be precise, and if i accelerate fast i dont notice it its only if i were lets say ( driving in a parking lot and im gently accelerating) if i gas it normally i dont really notice it im really leaning towards a fuel issue, it has to be, im taking it to one more place tomorrow hopefully i can figure it out if not ill have to just wait for a engine light..... yea i have stock cats.
Originally Posted by Stormzusmc
check compression, and check for vacuum leaks

do you have stock cats?