5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5.5 Grille in 5th Gen - Can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM

5.5 Grille in 5th Gen - Can it be done?

First off, I know they are not the same, I know the 5th gen grille is part of the bumper. I also know that the physical size of the 5.5 gen Grille is larger. Now that we have the simple stuff out of the way:

I bought my car with a Street Scene's Grille - I didn't have a choice, someone already hacked out the stock grille.

I want to retrofit a 5.5 gen grille in, so here are the Q's:

1. Has anyone done this? If so please post or PM me the details.
2. Does anyone have a picture of the 5.5 gen grille removed from the Car? If so please link/post.
3. Does anyone have the dimensions of either grille? (roughly of course)
4. Can someone tell me if the contour of the grille is close enough to the same shape or if it's completely different? I've looked at 5.5 gens to try and compare but it's tough, and don't want some guy wondering why I'm measuring the front of his grille

Also, I am NOT interested in swapping out the front bumper of my car, I will not be doing this, I like the bumper and lip kit I have, I just hate the grille.
I will be getting 5.5 Headlights as well, I want to pick the grille up from the same place I get the headlights so I need to know if it's possible before I spend $100 on a grille.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:03 PM

You need to swap the bumper out for a 5.5 gen bumper to have the 5.5 gen grille fit. To my knowledge there's no way around that. You may want to consider selling your AE lip (which you will get a sizable sum of money for) and using that to buy a 5.5 bumper and Stillen lip if you like the look of the front lip on your AE.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:54 PM

^^ ur wrong..their is a way and sum1 just done it...here u go...

whas family some of may know me but not alot LOL , but everybody kept sayin that it could never be done so i wanted to be the 1st one to do it so here it is.... 2000-2001 bumper with a 5.5 CF grill

Old 01-25-2011, 03:12 PM

Damn, I knew it could be done but only from what I HEARD. I don't know about it being the first ever, but I'll tell you what, I NEVER saw an application as clean as that. The ones I saw had a not-so-nice looking bulge around the grille. The bulge in that pic is far less obvious.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by maxima dude

whas family some of may know me but not alot LOL , but everybody kept sayin that it could never be done so i wanted to be the 1st one to do it so here it is.... 2000-2001 bumper with a 5.5 CF grill

DAM i never seen the cf grill fitted on before. Wish i could go back in time and get that instead ):
Old 01-25-2011, 03:41 PM

Care to share how you did that? Looks clean.

Not knocking what you did, but I imagine just swapping the bumper with the grille and doing a full 5.5 front end conversion would be easier. I'm willing to bet a lot of slicing and dicing had to be done to make that application work.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:21 PM

^^ its not my car...but the owner set alot of cutting and fitting was needed for it to work...if you have the time it can be done...alot cheaper then a 5.5 front bumper swap...
Old 01-25-2011, 05:16 PM

Will 5.5 bumper/grill fit a 2000 with stock hood and headlights?
Old 01-25-2011, 05:37 PM
That's Mr. Detail to you

To be honest, I like the 5th gen blacked out grill more than the 5.5 gen grills.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:42 PM

Thank you! This gives me some hope. Who is this though do you have a screen name for him?

Looks like he cut the bumper, I was actually thinking about modding the grille, but this looks like it may be a better way to go.. how did he mount it though .....

And I want that exact style of grille just dont need it CF, I'm planning on painting it Body colour.
I haven't seen them for sale though so I was planning on cutting out the Nissan emblem and bondo, whatever needed.

Need some more info before I buy an OEM 5.5 grille though...

----

The cost is what holds me back from the 5.5 bumper swap, by the time I get a bumper, lip, fog lights, and paint I'll be way over $1000, I'd much rather spend the time and retrofit, It'll be more original at the end of the day too.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-25-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by rich p
Will 5.5 bumper/grill fit a 2000 with stock hood and headlights?
Absolutely. Only thing is...w/ 00-01 headlights on a 5.5 bumper, you'll have a small gap between the headlights and bumper, but everything would/should fit seamlessly.
Old 01-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Scottwax
To be honest, I like the 5th gen blacked out grill more than the 5.5 gen grills.
I don't have this option anyways because mine was already chopped out, hacking another one out from a wreck (probably have to buy the bumper) and trying to patch it in seems like too much work just to return it to the bland stock grille.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:06 AM

Still looking for a screen name or more info on fitting this in... Anyone??

-PM'd 'Maxima Dude'

I just bought an OE 5.5 Grille with the emblem for $75, need to go pick it up hopefully today, so I'll try and get some pics up with the 5.5 grille against the 5th gen opening so other's have it for reference.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:14 AM

he's on nycmaximas.org
Old 01-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by phatboislim
he's on nycmaximas.org
Once again you come through man, thanks I found him. Now to bug him for answers.

After examining and measuring, I'm starting to wonder if your post in his thread may be true - PS, see pics...

Here are the pics so far. I'm going to do my best to snap a few along the way so there is at least a mediocre DIY available, but I'll start A new thread for that if this works...

Cutout Minus the 'insert' piece:

Right side gap:

Left side gap

Whodatbull's Picture, with no gaps showing

So I've definately got some more investigating to do, but this is not going to be simple, I have no idea how he accomplished the fitment without doing body work on the bumper and painting it... unless it's a PhotoShop.

Here is the grille just sitting against the gap though, if I can do it clean it's going to look dam good:

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 07:02 PM

it does look photoshopped to me. also the hood doesnt line up with the bumper so something may have to be bent to make it fit right if it is not photoshopped
Old 01-27-2011, 08:42 PM

^^ yepp...it isnt photoshoped...the bumper looks like it was fitted to clear the gap... it does take time and effort to make it work... dam 1 good thing sum1 never seen and think its photoshoped lmao
Old 01-27-2011, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000

Here is the grille just sitting against the gap though, if I can do it clean it's going to look dam good:
Doesn't look bad straight on.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:39 PM

Superglue it in like that and call it a day.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:24 PM

maybe Bull cut the bumper on the sides of the grille and put them on and bondo the **** out of it
Old 01-28-2011, 04:34 AM

^^ yepp...it isnt photoshoped...the bumper looks like it was fitted to clear the gap... it does take time and effort to make it work... dam 1 good thing sum1 never seen and think its photoshoped lmao
its not because i havent seen it before that i think its photoshopped...the pic just shows signs, to me of a photoshop. i'm more than willing to give props where its due, but i didnt see that guy show any more close up pics and parts around the bottom of that bumper look like a little computer generation, making me THINK its a PS.

IMO to make this work, id leave the stock grille in and get one from ebay...and mold it over the old grille and do it like that
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 AM
bald aggression est 78

na its not photo shopped at all i know the owner pretty good. very very clean car
Old 01-28-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kountz430
na its not photo shopped at all i know the owner pretty good. very very clean car
can you get him to post closer pics. i mean from a distant it seems nice...but PS'd i just want to see the work more closely
Old 01-28-2011, 06:46 AM

Here are the measurements as I can see them, please consider they are not accurate, as everything is angled and measurements differ with depth.

5th gen cutout WITHOUT insert:
26 5/8" W
6 7/8" H
3/4" until edge of curve (top) --- See 5.5 grille pic below for clarification of this measurement and it's importance.

5th gen cutout WITH insert:
26 3/8" W
3/4" until edge of curve (top)
6-7" H --- Varies with depth, minimal is 6"

5.5 Grille:

Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by BoDenKai
maybe Bull cut the bumper on the sides of the grille and put them on and bondo the **** out of it
If it's real, that's somewhat along the line I was thinking.
Option 1:

Cut there and you could bring it in a bit, that would eliminate the gap either that, or possibly heat it and fold it over/meld it (this should eliminate some or all body work, and maintain some strength, but is currently just a theory.

Option 2
Another option is to cut out the corner edge of the Insert piece, and fit it in the gap, but I don't think this would turn out very well, unless I bondo the gap in between the insert and the 5.5 grille and paint the whole thing, effectively making the 5.5 grille the proper width:

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-28-2011 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Nexus67
Doesn't look bad straight on.
Need to figure out a good way to relocate the licence plate though, it has to move a bit regardless, and it looks like crap with it there...

its not because i havent seen it before that i think its photoshopped...the pic just shows signs, to me of a photoshop. i'm more than willing to give props where its due, but i didnt see that guy show any more close up pics and parts around the bottom of that bumper look like a little computer generation, making me THINK its a PS.

IMO to make this work, id leave the stock grille in and get one from ebay...and mold it over the old grille and do it like that
Not sure what you mean, are you talking about cutting the 5.5 bumper to fit the hole in the 5th gen and adding material at the side?
Old 01-28-2011, 06:53 AM

i'd leave teh stock grille in the 5th gen bumper and mold the 5.5 gen grille over the grill of the 5th gen grille
Old 01-28-2011, 09:38 AM

i'd leave teh stock grille in the 5th gen bumper and mold the 5.5 gen grille over the grill of the 5th gen grille
I can't even imagine how you'd pull that off, and how it would be worthwhile to go that route as opposed to just cutting the 5th gen bumper and finding a way to fix the gaps.
Maybe I'm still not understanding what you're planning .

Regardless it's not an option for me as my bumper/grille was already chopped up.

I'm happy to hear a few people vouching for the validity of the pics, that gives me great hope. I am still trying to get some answers and close up pics though before I go past the 'point of no return' and start cutting stuff out.

-Matt
Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM

i cant imagine fitting the 5.5 grill period as i wouldnt go through all of that lol but gl with it
Old 01-28-2011, 09:55 AM

i cant imagine fitting the 5.5 grill period as i wouldnt go through all of that lol but gl with it
Ahaha trust me bro I don't want to do it either...
It's this or that BAwliN Yo Street Scenes grille,which actually wouldn't be THAT bad if it wasn't for the bulges when they bend it, if it was flat-ish I think I could live with it, but it looks like a bubble, and I tried really really hard to like it....
Old 01-28-2011, 10:01 AM

since you've cut yours you can get some gutter screen like the people in the 6th gen forum have done and do it like that...paint it all black
Old 01-28-2011, 11:06 AM

Need to figure out a good way to relocate the licence plate though, it has to move a bit regardless, and it looks like crap with it there...
I've got the front license plate frame removed and the license plate directly screwed to the bumper (NJ have to have both). It would definitely give you more clearance.

Ahaha trust me bro I don't want to do it either...

It's this or that BAwliN Yo Street Scenes grille,which actually wouldn't be THAT bad if it wasn't for the bulges when they bend it, if it was flat-ish I think I could live with it, but it looks like a bubble, and I tried really really hard to like it....
It's funny, b/c at first I hated the SS grille. Then I liked it (b/c I started hating my oem 00-01 grille). Had to get used to it, but it seems those around me like it more than I do (which I find backwards).

And yes...it does have a 'bubble' effect on the edges. There's a fella on youtube that fit the 02-03 billet grille on his '01 (if this falls through)
Old 01-28-2011, 11:57 AM

since you've cut yours you can get some gutter screen like the people in the 6th gen forum have done and do it like that...paint it all black
Trust me I didn't cut it, the guy who owned it before me did,
I would never have done that for the precise reason we are chatting about-- now it's a big problem to put a different grille/stock grille in.

I don't know about gutter screen-- In the past I've always hated it, with a passion, but there are a couple decent backset jobs on the .ORG.... so thanks for bringing this option up

Originally Posted by Nexus67
I've got the front license plate frame removed and the license plate directly screwed to the bumper (NJ have to have both). It would definitely give you more clearance.

It's funny, b/c at first I hated the SS grille. Then I liked it (b/c I started hating my oem 00-01 grille). Had to get used to it, but it seems those around me like it more than I do (which I find backwards).

And yes...it does have a 'bubble' effect on the edges. There's a fella on youtube that fit the 02-03 billet grille on his '01 (if this falls through)
Yeah I figured that's what I'd have to do, I hate having the front plate, such an eyesore.

And I thought it would grow on me too, I really tried to let it!!
I agree everyone seems to like it, but I don't, it's just too dam bubbly, I can't get over it.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 01-28-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:48 PM
Got Retrofit?

Originally Posted by Waxima
Superglue it in like that and call it a day.
This or use JB Weld/Stik.
Old 01-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
This or use JB Weld/Stik.
Securement isn't the issue boys, that's easy compared to the fitment
Old 02-01-2011, 10:10 AM

Alright so, WhoDatBull is apparently not going to comment, even though he's been on the site and viewing the thread numerous times since questions were raised.
It's a shame that someone would just hide their work, maybe it's not as good as the pics illustrate and that's why there is no close up. Or maybe he just got a few buddies to say he did it and it's really all a load of crap...

Either way, it seems evident to me that he was NOT the first to do this, but I can't find ANY info on it, or who did it in the past, let alone a DIY or some sort of instruction. Closest thing I found was a guy who was going to try it on a junkyard bumper, but the thread died after that comment.

I am disappointed that someone would be so childish, and for whatever reason post 'HEY I DID THIS I'M AWESOME, here's 2 far away pictures' and then run and hide when questions are raised.

Last edited by TunerMaxima3000; 02-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 12:55 PM

Ok, I apologize for the rant above, let's get down to business.

So I've decided to make the first moves on this to attempt it, also wanted to include a pic with the hood down (angle of grille is off, and couldn't get a good shot where car was sitting).

But I think I can make this work, there will no doubt be some gaps at the side (top) but I'm going to squeeze this thing in there and then figure the gap out, maybe it won't be that noticeable, and the bumper is rather pliable at the top...
If it's bad, then I'll figure out something to fix it when it gets warm enough to do it.

Anyways here's the pic with the hood down and the lic plate bracket off (already gave me more clearance just removing this). Just to give you guys a rough idea.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 PM

^^ dont forget that guy has the cf cmod ebay grill which is the same size as the 5.5 grill but isnt made the same ... i have the non cf cmod grill on my car...its hard to explain but u wuld have to see in person
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

That's WhoDatBuul's 5g.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 PM

^^ dont forget that guy has the cf cmod ebay grill which is the same size as the 5.5 grill but isnt made the same ... i have the non cf cmod grill on my car...its hard to explain but u wuld have to see in person
Yeah it would be interesting to know the difference, I'm sure the support system is completely different.. which will change what is needed to fit it in.

If someone has a pic of one I'll include it for reference when I do my write up (assuming this works lol)

Quick Reply: 5.5 Grille in 5th Gen - Can it be done?