5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

need help...electric problems after alternator change

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 11:28 AM

need help...electric problems after alternator change

So about 2 weeks ago I was driving home and all of a sudden I had about every light on dash come on and my dash clock went dim. So I pulled over, turned off the car and tried to re-start it ......it didnt turn over...no cracking ..notihng. I got a jump and the car started right away and as soon as I took off the jumper cables the lights in dash came back on. I was thinking alternator was bad.

So I had that replaced and for a day and half everything seemed okay. Till one morning i was having the same symptoms again. So I took an exit slow down then all the light went away and all was fine till about 3 days later this happened again and it went away.

So when it happened again I noticed I lost the ability to use my keyless entry function. I also noticed that my power doors didn't work anymore. Auto light turn off function was lost too. Oh and my dome light works but the function of turning when the door is open was lost as well. I noticed one more thing after the alternator change im getting a P0740 for the transmission.

I changed out my battery and checked my fuses which all seemed to be fine. I took back the car to the place where I the alternator changed and they were no help.
Oh and I havea 2000 SE with 195k miles

I'm all out of ideas and need some input.
Thanks in advance
D
Old 02-16-2011, 01:07 PM

So now you have a new battery and a new alternator yet all the dash lights are still on, power locks do not work and you're getting a transmission code?

1)have the new alternator checked to make sure it works fine and the same for the battery.
A friend of mine had 3 alternators replaced because they all were not working(all were rebuilt units bought by his mechanic)

I doubt that multiple things fried(though possible) so I am inclined to think not the car is not getting it's 14 volts.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM

Yes new battery and "new alternator"

I did have it checked and it showed 14V on the meter. So I my guess is that it does work.
Also I found out that there do different alternators the max can take. Meaning that there are 2 different amperage offered. Is this true? That didn't sound right to me.
I think I will go back and talk to the mechanic and see if I can get a new one.

Originally Posted by Calcvictim
So now you have a new battery and a new alternator yet all the dash lights are still on, power locks do not work and you're getting a transmission code?

1)have the new alternator checked to make sure it works fine and the same for the battery.
A friend of mine had 3 alternators replaced because they all were not working(all were rebuilt units bought by his mechanic)

I doubt that multiple things fried(though possible) so I am inclined to think not the car is not getting it's 14 volts.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:17 PM

Had a similar issue where my battery was getting drained and the car wouldnt stay running. Did real funny things electronically between my radio and my lights. Turned out to be a crankshaft sensor. Mine had a short and was causin many different problems. I also replaced starter,altenator, and battery before figuring it out
Old 02-16-2011, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 96maxi
Yes new battery and "new alternator"

I did have it checked and it showed 14V on the meter. So I my guess is that it does work.
Also I found out that there do different alternators the max can take. Meaning that there are 2 different amperage offered. Is this true? That didn't sound right to me.
I think I will go back and talk to the mechanic and see if I can get a new one.
yes, there are different alternators. The maximum amperage supplied varies. For example if you have an alternator that has a maximum amperage of 100 amps and the load(engine spark, all accessories, stereo....whatever)exceeds that then the battery will start to drain. I think if the alternator is checked and actually produced 14 volts under load then the maximum supplied current of it is not the issue.

I do not think anything is shorting(though possible)because everything started when your battery died.

Unless off course your battery drained because of the short and then your alternator died because with the short it was being overworked.