5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Selling my Max and need to put a price on it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM

Selling my Max and need to put a price on it!

http://forums.maxima.org/members-rid...n-se-pics.html

thats the link when i bought the car a couple of months ago, almost half year, but with the gas going $4+ in california i need a 4 banger for sure, so im probably just leasing a sentra for the moment (don't kill me for that) and by the gas ill be saving ill almost pay my lease. the maxima now have 96k instead of 88k, nothing changes, no mechanical problems, 1 of the 8 ways to move the seats is not working in the driver power seat, is missing the small cup holder for 1/2 liter bottles ($5 lol) and prob i think thats it, SE trim recently detailed, and all u can see in the pictures, i want to set a price for the car cuz i can put a set price because its a....... salvage title no frame damage no taiwan parts, front bumper replaced (oem) fender and hood replaced (junk yard not taiwan) and the 3 parts were repainted, no mehcanical issues were found due to the hit, no radiator repalced, no suspesion parts were replaced just cosmetic, so if u guys can help me out to put a price on my car would be great, thanks, located in San Diego CA, currrent plates till october
Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

Being a salvaged title I would say $3,500-4k
Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 PM

Not sure what you paid for it, but you're going to take a loss...especially now with prices high for premium...It's the same with full sized trucks. When gas prices go up for s steady rate, big trucks and SUV's can't give them away...same thing with a used car that uses high-test fuel...you're going to get nickel and dimed all the way man...

Do you own this car outright? Can't see why you'd want to get rid of it now and start a lease on a small car.

Good luck whatever you come up with...
Old 03-02-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by T.One
3.5-4k is what I would see of it, though a non salvage ones only 1k more.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:45 PM
Bad *** Newb

I see your MPG problem in the interior pic :P

Not worth getting a new car. Idk what the dollar amount is, but you have to pay sales tax on a car you don't own. That's too absurd for me right there. It's bad enough alone that income tax is illegal, then have to fork over more for sales tax at such a high rate (state depending). And I almost forgot another (illegal) tax, property tax, on a car you still don't own (state depending as well I think). I wouldn't give the state anymore free money on principle haha.

I don't see how with more taxes and fees that you can come out ahead. Are payments really that low? I'd like to know how many miles per year they limit you to.
I google and saw some cheap rates, but we're also talking base models. Loaded model shoots it up.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 03-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
I see your MPG problem in the interior pic :P

Not worth getting a new car. Idk what the dollar amount is, but you have to pay sales tax on a car you don't own. That's too absurd for me right there. It's bad enough alone that income tax is illegal, then have to fork over more for sales tax at such a high rate (state depending). And I almost forgot another (illegal) tax, property tax, on a car you still don't own (state depending as well I think). I wouldn't give the state anymore free money on principle haha.

I don't see how with more taxes and fees that you can come out ahead. Are payments really that low? I'd like to know how many miles per year they limit you to.
I google and saw some cheap rates, but we're also talking base models. Loaded model shoots it up.
well, im going to lease a sentra not buy it, so i don't pay the full sales tax of the car, and my payment is less than $200/mo depending on options with $2k down, and use the other $1.5k-$2k to pay other small credit card debts and i think ill almost save around $200-$250 in gas a month so ill only pay the extra cost of insurance by going full coverage and being 20 and have a speeding ticket, so thats around $150/mo MORE than liability in the maxima. im still not sure about going with the sentra or with the new jetta.. around $250@mo with leather(well fake leather) sunroof, rims, heated seats, and touchscreen sound system (not premium sound or navigation).
Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM

Most of the time it's cheaper to own a car that's been paid for than make car payments.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:38 PM

Hey just, now i need some advice..
i really want to change my car by two or three things
1.im getting horrible mpg on my max and i definetly don't have time to find out and fix it.
2.i want to get a lease cuz i have the opportunity now to have a co-signer and get me onto a new car
3.ill be saving money on gas, BUT ill have a NEW monthly payment that i didn't had before
4.ill also going to have to pay more for insurance because i have to go Fullcoverage with the new car.
5. one of the most important things.. the lease will help my credit, cuz im 20 and i have that baby score, and by the end of the lease i can have a better credit score and start doing things by myself.

and by doing the full math many times and many different ways, between the gas i spend and the gas ill be saving but the more payments i have etc etc.. thinking about all the things ill be spending about $190-$230 MORE a month between payments gas and insurance, and ill be driving a 2011 instead of an 2000 and ill have full coverage which i don't have in my max right now, and ill probably go with the new jetta (i know its cheaper quality) and the mantainence is free so thats another plus.

NEED ADVICEE!
Old 03-05-2011, 06:15 AM

Stay with the maxima. Once you have a car payment you will regret it. Not to mention when your lease is up you give the car back or need to pay for the rest of it so you will be paying for another few years or be without a car.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:51 PM

This may help... http://www.edmunds.com/calculators/gas-guzzler.html
Old 03-06-2011, 04:25 PM

$4,ooo tops I'd say. No leather interior, wood grain, BOSE etc etc. I think you said 96k's on it? So I'd try to list it for the $4k mark, if you're happy with that. Check local Kijiji/Craigs/Autotrader and get a price idea. Compare it to yours and price it accordingly. Add an extra $5oo to your asking price. That way if people haggle, you can go down.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:37 PM

Lets see now I myself have a 2000 max, Own it free and clear so gas is going up we all know that but to take on a lease payment and then full coverage insurance I dont get your math at all? Spending 200 a month vs 0 and finding the fix to your max and its gas issues.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by Tmax156
Lets see now I myself have a 2000 max, Own it free and clear so gas is going up we all know that but to take on a lease payment and then full coverage insurance I dont get your math at all? Spending 200 a month vs 0 and finding the fix to your max and its gas issues.
cuz my gas spending is aroung $450/mo and if i go leasing a sentra ill spend aroung $150 on gas $200 on insurance and $200 on mo/ payments, thats $550 total, and for my max im just spending $450 on gas and $68 on insurance so bring a total of $518 intead of $550 with my max.
so my point is, for $50 more a month ill get full-coverage insurance and thats a BIG plus ill be driving a 2011 instead of a 2000 and one of the most important, the lease will help me built my credit cuz im 20 and i have the opportunity NOW to have a co-signer i don't know if that opportunity will show up again and by the end of 39 months ill have enought credit history to either buy the car or return the car and get another lease.
so i see a lot of pros with minimal cons, gas money goes to the air, lease money goes into helping my credit, thats the way i see it.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:06 AM

How did you figure the Sentra would save you $300 a month on gas? Going from $450/month to $150/month would mean you are assuming the Sentra gets 66% better gas mileage and it does not. You would probably only be saving more like $100 a month on gas realistically.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by rosader
How did you figure the Sentra would save you $300 a month on gas? Going from $450/month to $150/month would mean you are assuming the Sentra gets 66% better gas mileage and it does not. You would probably only be saving more like $100 a month on gas realistically.
I think what we're missing here is how many miles a month the OP is putting on the car. Would really put it into perspective. I put on just over 500 miles in a month. I fill up like every other week, unless a big trip comes along. However, if he's spending $450 a month, I'd have to guess he's gassing up 10 times a month or so, and could be putting on close to 2000 miles. Getting an efficient car, and less the premium, can save certain people a ton of money.

That said OP, I'f you're actually putting on 2000 miles a month, you'd better re-think the lease idea. Most start around 12000 miles per year, you're going to double that easy.

Also another piece of advice, don't put a dime down. Sure your monthly payment will go up, but it will only go up by the amount you would have put down, divided over the length of the lease...no interest difference like with a conventional loan.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:02 AM

450$ of gas per month is almost insane... I own an X5 with the 4.4l and I spend 50-60$ max per week so that's around 240$ per month. Gee you should move closer to your job or school. I understand your point but you have many option here, driving a new car will definitely save you some $$$ on gas, but then you got an additional monthly payment, higher insurance cost so at the end it result in less money in your pocket. Saving money on gas is smart for yourself and the planet, but if you are at school buying a new car is not an option. I'd say you sell the max and buy a 4 banger with the 4000$ then you wil save a lot, gas, insurance, payment etc. If you are smart enough you put the saved money at the bank and by the time you get your degree you'll have a nice deposit for your next dream car. Think about it, it just make sense. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by doublea
450$ of gas per month is almost insane... I own an X5 with the 4.4l and I spend 50-60$ max per week so that's around 240$ per month. Gee you should move closer to your job or school. I understand your point but you have many option here, driving a new car will definitely save you some $$$ on gas, but then you got an additional monthly payment, higher insurance cost so at the end it result in less money in your pocket. Saving money on gas is smart for yourself and the planet, but if you are at school buying a new car is not an option. I'd say you sell the max and buy a 4 banger with the 4000$ then you wil save a lot, gas, insurance, payment etc. If you are smart enough you put the saved money at the bank and by the time you get your degree you'll have a nice deposit for your next dream car. Think about it, it just make sense. Good luck.
im working.. not in school.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cveega
im working.. not in school.

How many miles are you putting on in a month?
Old 03-15-2011, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by MadMax07SL
How many miles are you putting on in a month?
around 13-14k a year, soo. thats around 1000-1200 a month
Old 03-15-2011, 07:30 PM
L36

Shame the gas prices so high there, here in PA that car even with salvage title would get 5.5K easily.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Cveega
around 13-14k a year, soo. thats around 1000-1200 a month

Yet you've managed to put 8k miles in 5 months. That's closer to 1600 per month.....and closer to 20k per year. Most leases are going to cap you at 12k per year......maybe 15k if you pay a little more.

Still, if you're spending $450 on gas, with a 15 gallon tank (I know the car has a 18.5 gal tank, but my average fill-up is 15 gal) @ $4/gal, that's 7 1/2 tanks per month. That means you're getting around 14 mpg.

EPA estimates are 18-26, or 20-21 combined. I'd say you have some issues with the car.....or the way you drive.

Why even look at another VW? You're post back in Oct said you got rid of 3 of them in 1 year......what makes you think you'll be happy with a new VW? And personally I think the VWs look like crap....but that's just my opinion.

And the Jetta is only rated at 24/34 mpg (Sentra is 24/31). Even if you manage to get 6 mpg better than the Max, you're looking at still spending $320 on gas.

Realistically, if you're getting 14 mpg from a car that should be getting at least 18, don't think that you're going to get a new car and suddenly get 28 mpg.

Even if you're going to save $150 on gas, it's going to cost you $200-250 for the lease, plus however much more your insurance is going to go up.

Then you have to deal with the salvage title and/or carfax report. Edmunds says you're looking at $4600 in clean shape - let's be honest, very few cars qualify for "excellent".....especially if you're only getting 14 mpg! - so, you're probably looking at no more than $4k.....probably more like $3500.

And honestly, if you're looking at a lease, you might as well be looking at an outright purchase. Sentra has a $2000 rebate, so you're looking at right around $16k for an SR. If you're getting somebody to co-sign the loan, and depending on the interest rate, the monthly cost isn't going to be much higher......probably even works out better if you figure in the time/value of the upfront costs (usually around $2000 - that's $34 per month for 5 years!)

Or, Hyundai has lease deals on the Elantra ($169/mnth) and Sonata ($199/mnth). Elantra mpg is rated at 29/40 and Sonata is at 24/35. See those on TV all the time.

Maybe even look at the Fiesta or Mazda 2 - they are rated at 28/37 and 29/35.

Can't really tell you want to do. I can tell you that the market loves people that make knee-jerk reactions to gas prices. Watched my buddy dump his F-150 when gas prices hit $4+ per gallon for a couple of grand less than it was worth - and he had another vehicle to drive! Meanwhile, I scored a smoking deal on a diesel ($5/gal...yikes!). First thing he did when gas prices went back down? Yep, you guessed it........ran out and bought himself another truck!
Old 03-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Also, just my .02, but you mentioned one of the benefits from leasing a vehicle being increased credit. I'm not sure I would subscribe to that idea, I bought an 06 SI under the same impression last year, taking advantage of low interest rates. Well, the car ended up getting stolen three months after purchase, then recovered and was totaled by the insurance. In the end the actual benefit to my credit which was already in the VG range went up all of 10 pts, not really worth it IMO. Now I understand your leasing, but I'm sure it would impact your credit similar where your locked into

If I were you, I'd fix your current car, it's more than likely something small like an 02 sensor, dragging caliper, low tire pressure, spark plugs etc. And like the poster above said, your really not going to see the most stellar improvement in monthly gas expenses. Not to mention with your monthly payment AND downpayment it's going to take a while before you actually benefit with the improved gas mileage.

That aside, I'd imagine your looking at the lower end of 3k being a salvage title vehicle.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:36 PM

90ish Diesel VW. 55+ mpg