5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

questions about mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2001, 04:23 PM

questions about mufflers

i was wondering what kind of mufflers u guyz recommend for my max.
Old 12-24-2001, 04:30 PM

Greddy Cat-Back is good. Comes in components with intructions for the instal which you can do yourself
Old 12-24-2001, 04:47 PM

Re: questions about mufflers

what do u guyz think of the apexi N1 on a 2k max???
Old 12-24-2001, 06:04 PM

havent heard of that one but im happy with the stillen exhaust
Old 12-24-2001, 06:09 PM

Re: Re: questions about mufflers

Originally posted by 2kMax
Last I knew they din't have one for the 2k. Got a link? Anyway greddy is loud as *****, hks is kewl, stillen is big, non add a great deal of power, anywhere from 5hp-10hp at the wheels.
Old 12-24-2001, 06:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: questions about mufflers

Originally posted by max'n out

Last I knew they din't have one for the 2k. Got a link? Anyway greddy is loud as *****, hks is kewl, stillen is big, non add a great deal of power, anywhere from 5hp-10hp at the wheels.
HKS adds 4 hp
Old 12-24-2001, 08:05 PM
ActiveTuning Partner

Try these:
http://www.magnaflow.com/
http://www.ghlmotorsports.com/universal.htm
Old 12-24-2001, 09:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: questions about mufflers

Does apexi have a system for the 5th gen yet? I am waiting for either a nismo or Apexi muffler. Let me know what you know! Apexi is great because you can get a silencer for them .
Old 12-24-2001, 10:38 PM

Can someone detail to me exactly what the sound difference is between the greddy, hks, and stillen exhausts? How loud any of them are and what they sound like at idle, low throttle, and WOT. also, has anyone tried any borla or flowmasters on a max? if so, what do those sound like? sorry i'm so nosy, but i don't think this has ever been answered before and there are almost no souped up maxima's around st. louis...
Old 12-25-2001, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by Ironlord
Can someone detail to me exactly what the sound difference is between the greddy, hks, and stillen exhausts? How loud any of them are and what they sound like at idle, low throttle, and WOT. also, has anyone tried any borla or flowmasters on a max? if so, what do those sound like? sorry i'm so nosy, but i don't think this has ever been answered before and there are almost no souped up maxima's around st. louis...
Flowmast and borla are massivly loud and sound like loud azzz musle cars for the most part. Hks sound just like every other hks, stillen is on kevs site and so is the greddy.
Old 12-26-2001, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

Flowmast and borla are massivly loud and sound like loud azzz musle cars for the most part. Hks sound just like every other hks, stillen is on kevs site and so is the greddy.
the greddy sounds great, but how much of that is the ypipe and supercharger? i didn't find a stillen link on kev's page either. and what doe hks sound like, is that the typical ricer sound? fart can kinda thing? i'm basically looking for someone to help me 9out with how each one sounds on an otherwise stock 5th gen max... like borla or flowmaster, are they really that burbly and loud on a max, or not? etc. thanks.
Old 12-27-2001, 12:43 AM

Re: Re: Re: questions about mufflers

Originally posted by emax95

Does apexi have a system for the 5th gen yet? I am waiting for either a nismo or Apexi muffler. Let me know what you know! Apexi is great because you can get a silencer for them .

If there is no kit for the 5G (haven't checked) you can just get a universal Apex'i muffler and have your favorite muffler shop do the piping for you.

The RS (now WS, I think) and the Dunk are not loud at all, so you probably won't need to worry about a silencer. Even the Universal N1 is not too loud (unless you get one designed for a turbo car, then it will be noticeably louder).

I can barely tell the difference between the stock exhaust and the RS on my car (inside or outside).

Hope this helps,

Quack2x
Old 12-28-2001, 03:05 PM

the greddy sounds great, but how much of that is the ypipe and supercharger? i didn't find a stillen link on kev's page either. and what doe hks sound like, is that the typical ricer sound? fart can kinda thing? i'm basically looking for someone to help me 9out with how each one sounds on an otherwise stock 5th gen max... like borla or flowmaster, are they really that burbly and loud on a max, or not? etc. thanks.
anybody?
Old 12-28-2001, 04:04 PM

ive heard an N1 on a 5g Maxima, its sounds nice, it was the turbo muffler welded on to a custom BPipe with resonator removed. at idle it just sounds deeper, kinda like a domestic, but once it gets going, it sounds a little ricey, but not too bad, but once the revs reach 4500+ the tone entirely changes, from deep to a really ricey sound which i like. its not even that loud unless ur at WOT.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
ive heard an N1 on a 5g Maxima, its sounds nice, it was the turbo muffler welded on to a custom BPipe with resonator removed. at idle it just sounds deeper, kinda like a domestic, but once it gets going, it sounds a little ricey, but not too bad, but once the revs reach 4500+ the tone entirely changes, from deep to a really ricey sound which i like. its not even that loud unless ur at WOT.

ok, the n1 is ricey, so thats not for me. can anyone comment personally on the hks, stillen, or any typical muscle exhausts (like borla or flowmaster). and kev, i love that greddy, but how much is the exhaust and how much your other mods?
Old 12-28-2001, 06:15 PM
Got Bent?

get a y-pipe first and then decide what type of exhaust to get next. The y-pipe alone is not at all loud. Add a b-pipe and keep the stock muffler, and it still won't get loud. Get a full cat-back with the y-pipe, and that will be louder
Old 12-28-2001, 06:23 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
get a y-pipe first and then decide what type of exhaust to get next. The y-pipe alone is not at all loud. Add a b-pipe and keep the stock muffler, and it still won't get loud. Get a full cat-back with the y-pipe, and that will be louder
i would love to get a ypipe, but my dealer is ki9nd of a **** and i don't want to hassle with warranty issues down the road. so i figure i'd get a catback now (and enjoy the nice new sound and the addition 1-3 hp, sound being the important part) and then get the ypipe when my warranty is up. thats why i'm asking what sounds good on a stock max cuz thats how its gonna be for about 4 and a half years.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:27 PM
Got Bent?

i would love to get a ypipe, but my dealer is ki9nd of a **** and i don't want to hassle with warranty issues down the road. so i figure i'd get a catback now (and enjoy the nice new sound and the addition 1-3 hp, sound being the important part) and then get the ypipe when my warranty is up. thats why i'm asking what sounds good on a stock max cuz thats how its gonna be for about 4 and a half years.
i bet a dealer would give you as much trouble over a cat back as they would the y-pipe. When it comes to mods, most are clueless. Either they don't care at all, or they will get for using a K&N drop in filter.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:33 PM

the only thing is, a ypipe changes something, it removes one of the front precats and moves the 02 sensor. a dealership can get a lot more **** about that (plus its much more noticeable) than just replacing one piece of piping and muffler with a virtually identical one. so, can anyone detail to me how the various exhausts sound on a stock 5g auto?
Old 12-28-2001, 06:35 PM

if u want best sound without the ypipe, get the GReddy catback, its louder than the Stillen and HKs bc it replaces the BPipe, the HKS isnt that loud but it makes its presence known when u get on it, same with the Stillen, but i dont really like the sound of the Stillen, sounds kinda like a fart, but i've only heard it on my friends maxima and its without ypipe and bpipe, just the muffler. I personally would get the GReddy, but the HKS looks a lot better, so im kinda fighting over one or the other.
Old 12-28-2001, 06:39 PM

Re: questions about mufflers

i was wondering what kind of mufflers u guyz recommend for my max.
Hey man, I was wondering if you would sell me your stock muffler when you get your exhaust setup????

nismo1989@aol.com
Old 12-28-2001, 06:41 PM

Originally posted by SkylineGTR
if u want best sound without the ypipe, get the GReddy catback, its louder than the Stillen and HKs bc it replaces the BPipe, the HKS isnt that loud but it makes its presence known when u get on it, same with the Stillen, but i dont really like the sound of the Stillen, sounds kinda like a fart, but i've only heard it on my friends maxima and its without ypipe and bpipe, just the muffler. I personally would get the GReddy, but the HKS looks a lot better, so im kinda fighting over one or the other.
ok, so the stillen sound slike a typoical ricer fart can, so its down to the hks and the greddy. greddy is louder? can you tell me what it sounds like and where at in the revs? hks as well...
Old 12-28-2001, 06:51 PM

also, i was wondering if anyone knew the stock diameter of the exhaust pipes? and if anyone had ever replaced the pipies with mandrel bent and a freer flowing muffler but then made the pipe smaller so as to gain some low end torque, which my max at least coul use. would that work, free up the air flow but tighten the pipe by like a quarter of an inch or so? give better down low and up top?
Old 12-28-2001, 07:43 PM

guys, I'm just too lazy to go through search

has anyone with an aftermarket muffler experienced any gains at dyno?? Not that I am going to spend money on any of that, just out of curiosity, since Nissan claimed their muffler creates a dual-exhaust effect. Can aftermarket mufflers beat any of that, besides better looks and high price?
Old 12-28-2001, 07:53 PM

Kev did have the sounds on his site at one point. PM him and ask him for them. The supercharger don't really affect the exhaust sound really. If you hear a whoosh or a lot of air blowing that the sc. Hks is a nice sound for daily driving and then good and low on throttle. Stillen sounds like a wet fart. Greaddy is musle car sound ALL THE TIME VERY LOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUDDDDDDD. Borla and flowmaster will have to be custom made to the car and typicaly go with big v8's I say stay away from that and go with what is known.