5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A bunch of problems need alot of help please

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 10:21 PM

A bunch of problems need alot of help please

Well i am new to these forums and new to maximas but not to cars. I am a new mechanic and work at a mechanic spot so i know some stuff about cars. Ok so first this car is my girlfriends and she dont know how to take care of her stuff. So first she her car is a 2000 maxima. It has the SES light on also with the TCS light and SLIP light on. The TCS switch is located right under the TCS light on the dashboard and still does nothing. I researched this problem some people say it could be a bad wheel sensor and/or alternator and/or battery. ANy other things it can be? How can i go on diagnosing this problem? Next her gear sometimes gets stuck when trying to put it in drive from park or any gear from park even when the brake is fully depressed. What could be the problem? Next her car's idle goes under 500 sometimes when started. Like it will start then drop to like 400 then go back up. It happens sometimes. Also related to that problem is that she says sometimes when she starts her car the rpm's go up like its about to start but then just goes down and dies and all the lights come on the dashboard. Can that be a Idle air control valve? What else could it be? Next her car vibrates sometimes when you put it in drive. I thought it might be a motor mount. Any other things it could be? I know this is alot of problems but im ready to fix all of it myself. Thanks guys i appreciate everything.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Have you had the spark plugs changed recently or any work done to the engine? I only ask that because when I changed my spark plugs, one of my ignition coil wires wasn't connected completely and I had the TCS,SES, and SLIP lights on. Also my engine vibrated like crazy especially on start up.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by yankeefan13
Have you had the spark plugs changed recently or any work done to the engine? I only ask that because when I changed my spark plugs, one of my ignition coil wires wasn't connected completely and I had the TCS,SES, and SLIP lights on. Also my engine vibrated like crazy especially on start up.
Good idea! I dont know whens the last time she had it done but i will check them out. On these V6's its hard to get to the plugs arent they? They are behind the engine if im not mistaken. Tomorrow im off so im gonna have the alternator and battery and codes checked at autozone. What are the best plugs and wires to use for these cars? Also its not when the car starts it shakes, its when the car is started,warmed up then when you put it in drive with the foot still on the brake the car vibrates hard. Thanks
Old 07-12-2011, 05:58 AM

Please tell us how many miles on that car and do start by getting the car scanned to find out the code(s) it's throwing.
When I had the SES light, along with the TCS and SLIP, it turned out to be related to a defective pair of coils. I ended up replacing them all and the lights went away.
The next time the gear gets stuck in Park, and while still pressing the brake pedal, check (or have someone check for you) if the brake lights are coming on. If they aren't, then the problem is a defective brake light switch.
Fluctuations in the RPM's could be caused by misfiring (again, scanning the car for codes could tell you).
If the car just goes down and dies the lights on the dashboard are supposed to come on (just like when you put the key in the "On" position without starting the car).
I'm not sure if the car vibrates because of low RPM's or if it is because worn motor mounts.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by diplomat1
Good idea! I dont know whens the last time she had it done but i will check them out. On these V6's its hard to get to the plugs arent they? They are behind the engine if im not mistaken. Tomorrow im off so im gonna have the alternator and battery and codes checked at autozone. What are the best plugs and wires to use for these cars? Also its not when the car starts it shakes, its when the car is started,warmed up then when you put it in drive with the foot still on the brake the car vibrates hard. Thanks
The spark plug replacement could help but I'm not sure it will help your car with the vibrating, I would like to hear what codes come up when you get your car checked tomorrow and go from there. Btw if your still wondering there is three spark plugs right under the VQ plastic covering on the engine which are easy to get to, then there is three in the back of the engine which are kinda a pain to get at, but it is still do-able.