5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Transmission Diagnosis/Advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 08:09 PM

Transmission Diagnosis/Advice

I need some advice regarding my 02 Max. The car has about 110k miles and is bone stock. About a month ago, transmission started slipping gears occasionally. It would slip going into every gear, but not all the time. Didn't seem to make a difference if engine was hot or cold. It would even happen from P to Reverse/1st. I would have to rev high then it would finally catch and the car would move as if I was racing off the line! Manually shifting worked though. Again, this wouldn't happen all the time. No CEL on. I did the manual check for codes (car in start, pressing accelerator, etc...), didn't get any codes, however, I think I may have reset it before I was able to do it correctly.

After researching on the forums, I figured it was the revolution sensor and ordered one. A day before it came in, my car stopped slipping, but I lost 3rd and 4th gear! After 2nd, the tranny would rev high as if in neutral, then seem to shift back into 2nd or 1st.

Took the car to a couple shops. One shop drove the car and pretty much said the transmission needs to be replaced. He talked to his reliable junkyard and quoted me $1580 to put in a used tranny (but with 90k miles!). The other shop did a free diagnostic and checked everything externally such as fluids. Couldn't find anything wrong, no codes, fluid looked good, but maybe a slight burnt smell (said could be from the recent events of slipping and missing gears). They wanted to open things up and charge me $450 labor just to find out what's wrong. From there, estimated total worst case scenario remanufactured tranny from nissan, $2500-3000. For a rebuild (I know everyone suggests against it), about $1800-2000. A couple other friends' car guys suggested I do a tranny flush, again everyone recommends against this.

From searching for people with similar problems, vybz05 seems to be almost exactly what my car is going through, but at a much faster rate. See thread: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...lies-lies.html

I can't recall if I ever got the transmission serviced, fluid changed, etc... Now I just don't know what to do. Good thing I have great in-laws that are letting me use their extra cars for the time being.

If I did reset the codes, if there were any, how long would it take to relearn them? Should I just go ahead and try putting in that new revolution sensor I ordered? No harm, but will it even do anything? Should I do a fluid drain and refill? Flush? A 90k mile tranny seems a bit too used, but if it works and last another 100k, worth it?

Any advice and direction will be much appreciated!