5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Radio Buttons Do Not Respond

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 12:49 PM

Radio Buttons Do Not Respond

OK, my 2000 Maxima's Bose radio buttons do not work/respond to touch. Ironically, the CD player players the CD, and has volume, and the display works. Also, I can adjust the volume with the ****. But I cannot turn the unit off with the same ****, nor will any other button work. My guess is something internal is shot, but was hoping someone else had this mysterious ailment they could help me with. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 10-04-2011, 02:15 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your Bose head unit has gone to the great junkyard in the sky. There are places that will repair them, but they are pretty pricey. Either shop e-bay or the Maxima.org classifieds or convert from Bose.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:57 AM

Thanks Dennis, I was hoping that wasn't the case, but suspected it. Pretty bad a factory stereo dies like this.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:13 AM

Excuse to go aftermarket!!! I'm not a fan of that BOSE system in the Maxima's either....I had a 97 Maxima with BOSE system in it volume would go up and down for no reason then ONE of the speakers blew in the rear driver side.....dealer was talking $400 to replace JUST ONE!!! Got rid of the ENTIRE system went aftermarket!!! Sounds SOOO much better! You would think BOSE would be better quality...and I know they are ......perhaps they put the CHEAPER quality versions in these cars......Same thing happened to my 03 Acura MDX BOSE system...with 6 DISC changer, sometimes CDs would get stuck in the unit then finally got an "CHECK ERROR 1" code....AGAIN...needed to repair it...$350...HELL TO THE NAWW......replaced that with an aftermarket system!!! ANd that system was new...truck only had 60k miles on it. Even my CURRENT 02 Maxima...Bose speaker cuts off at times...then cuts back on..CD skips......PIECE OF TRASH!!! BOSE home systems are GREAT.....BOSE car systems.....GARBAGE!!!! that has been my experience with ALL of the ones I owned.

Last edited by ranmas2004; 10-05-2011 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by ranmas2004
Excuse to go aftermarket!!! I'm not a fan of that BOSE system in the Maxima's either....I had a 97 Maxima with BOSE system in it volume would go up and down for no reason then ONE of the speakers blew in the rear driver side.....dealer was talking $400 to replace JUST ONE!!! Got rid of the ENTIRE system went aftermarket!!! Sounds SOOO much better! You would think BOSE would be better quality...and I know they are ......perhaps they put the CHEAPER quality versions in these cars..... Same thing happened to my 03 Acura MDX BOSE system...with 6 DISC changer, sometimes CDs would get stuck in the unit then finally got a "CHECK ERROR 1" code....AGAIN...needed to repair it...$350...HELL TO THE NAWW......replaced that with an aftermarket system!!! ANd that system was new...truck only had 60k miles on it. Even my CURRENT 02 Maxima...Bose speaker cuts off at times...then cuts back on..CD skips......PIECE OF TRASH!!! BOSE home systems are GREAT.....BOSE car systems... GARBAGE!!!! that has been my experience with ALL of the ones I owned.
My goodness, you've taken this a little too personally. Relax, you'll live longer.

Would it make you feel any better to know that the Bose car systems are not made by Bose? Bose licensed the technology to Clarion. I don't know if Clarion makes the radio for all car manufacturers or just Nissan.

Last edited by DennisMik; 10-05-2011 at 09:23 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
My goodness, you've taken this a little too personally. Relax, you'll live longer.

Would it make you feel any better to know that the Bose car systems are not made by Bose? Bose licensed the technology.
Im relaxed....just trash.......they are runing their name putting their "tag" on cheap crap.....but they use the BOSE name....it says "BOSE" system on it...no one advertises..."CLARION." wonder why........hmm..
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 PM
Suspension Yoda

Im relaxed....just trash.......they are runing their name putting their "tag" on cheap crap.....but they use the BOSE name....it says "BOSE" system on it...no one advertises..."CLARION." wonder why........hmm..
A layperson hears Bose - selling point? Yes. By the time the system breaks down Bose has already collected their money and made a decade of interest on it. I highly doubt their reputation is dinged because of a customer has to replace their 10 year old radio.

Also, for any future posts, PLEASE use proper punctuation.

As for the OP, replace the head unit with aftermarket. There is no need to replace the entire system, and the aftermarket HU will make your Bose system sound better.

Last edited by djfrestyl; 10-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 PM

The Bose swystem is okay in the Maxima, but no where near compared to aftermarket, and not in the killing your pocket range either....
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Back on topic please.

And proper punctuation, while not required, really does help others reading the content.
Old 10-06-2011, 07:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I have a 2001 Maxima with a Bose(Clarion) pre-amp unit. Buttons work intermittently...I am doing some LED upgrades so I will tear into the radio & see what I can find out for you. I talked with someone that said there are small pads behind all the various buttons that wear out but are easily replaced. I will let you know if that is the case...
As for all those that trash Bose...I will not...I have a pair of 901's from 30 years ago(I'm not that crusty) that are to this day the best set of speakers I have ever owned. The Bose systems put in various makes are specifically designed for that vehicle and I will grant you they are configured weird to run at 1 Ohm stable but they will be equal or better than any other FACTORY radio. I'm not saying that the Bose system will be better than an aftermarket window shattering system but I understand that it is not fair to draw the comparison.
Old 10-06-2011, 12:59 PM

My only disappointment with the bose system is how behind the times it is in regards to features. No aux input, no USB input, no mp3 capabilities. Com'on Bose/Clarion, lets catch up the the 1990's.
Old 10-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

No Aux?

Originally Posted by DennisMik
My only disappointment with the bose system is how behind the times it is in regards to features. No aux input, no USB input, no mp3 capabilities. Com'on Bose/Clarion, lets catch up the the 1990's.
Dude, it's a ten year old radio. It was made before the iPod. Before any USB-based audio player. Before more than a few aftermarket radios had auxiliary jacks!

Den
Old 10-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Bose has made a fortune in auto and home audio. By selling cheap components at high end prices just because it has the Bose name, as you said "just trash". Bose crowning achievement in this scam, has to be putting a $.50 speaker in a labyrinth horn enclosure and re-naming it "Wave Technology!" Most knowledgeable audio aficionados KNOW this and Bose systems are considered a joke by Mid-Fi/High-Fi audiophiles. The saying goes "No highs, no lows, must be Bose!

To the best of my knowledge, Clarion and Panasonic make the majority of Japanese OEM systems. They make no pretense to being anything but that. My 91 Camry had a Clarion labeled OEM radio/tape unit, that lasted longer than the engine in the car 17yrs./235K miles.

Last edited by BobPezz; 10-06-2011 at 03:52 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by AWhite1
Dude, it's a ten year old radio. It was made before the iPod. Before any USB-based audio player. Before more than a few aftermarket radios had auxiliary jacks!

Den
But when you realize that we have the same featureless radio that was in the 1989 Maxima with just a cosmetic faceplate change, it's pretty pathetic for a product that claims to be a "premium" sound system that is ahead of its time and cost an arm and a leg.