5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another A/T question

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM
RR5

Another A/T question

Took my 2002 Auto into a transmission shop to look for a leak that's killing my front end suspension bushings.

I was told the torque converter has a seal and if the torque converter is 'wobbling' because some locator bushing that lines up the torque converter to the housing is off, the converter will wobble and stress the seal. This is where the leak develops as seen around the front pump..

I looked over the diagrams in the FSM but can't find any of those parts, except the differential side oil seal.

I've got 229,000 miles on this SE, and the transmission has been serviced twice. Once in 2006, and again in 2009.

Thus, the question is: Used trans or rebuild? Or look into another vehicle?
Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 PM
Get Off My Lawn

If it's just a leak, then replace the transmission seal at the torque converter. IF the others (axles) not been replaced, then replace those too. Assuming these seals were left alone during the prior work, it would make since these have become worn or possibly accidently damanged during previous work. You mention no reason as I can tell as to why you would need to spend hundreds more to replace something that is working fine. So, unless you've got the money to blow and it's simply about peice of mind, just do the seals.
BTW, I believe you would have significant vibrations if the torque converter were "wobbling." Even so, that may be a simple fix with a new flex plate....something new transmission would not resolve anyway.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:36 PM
RR5

Call it being misinformed by a transmission shop only looking to maximize their profits at my expense.

Doing the torque converter seal is a great idea. Near as I can tell, the axels have not been touched. Are we talking picking up two Raxles and call it good? Or replacing some additional seals?

Also, keep in mind this wobble might only be a worn mount some place. Friday I am going to make a run at dropping the transmission pan to look at the magnets.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I'm sorry, I was referring simply to the axle seals, not replacing the entire axles. We were talking bout leaking. If the tranny has had work, been seperated from the engine or axles pulled, it may create additional wear or accidiental damage in coming in/out. So, just talking about seals here....sorry if was not clear. I figured you would have to remove the axles in order to remove the transmission to replace the torque converter seal.....seemed only logical to go ahead and replaced the axle seals.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 PM
RR5

Makes sense! This is one of those problems where it's not easy to describe and many shops I visit are mostly not helpful in trying to diagnose the problem.

I'll call around for some prices on getting those seals replaced. The first shop was looking for the torque converter seal $600 and if the torque converter needed replacing, $1,000.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I know for me the power steering leak is what killed my bushings. Might want to check that also.
Old 10-20-2011, 05:38 PM
RR5

I already did a used power steering rack and pump this year, so I hope I am totally done with power steering system leaks.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Get Off My Lawn

I guess this is not something you could or want to do? I hate this for you!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:09 AM
RR5

I bought the power steering parts used from a salvage yard who also installed them.
Old 10-23-2011, 01:38 AM
RR5

Finding a trustworthy transmission place is difficult, and I hardly trust any shop. I'll have to call around on Monday.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:17 AM

are you sure its the pump seal and not the rear main seal?
how are these seals causing your suspension bushings to go bad? I would think the axle seals would be more responsible for the suspension bushings since the left side axle basically sits just over those parts. If the pump seal or the rear main seal leaks, it would drip down in the center away from the suspension components, if anything, it would be getting on the exhaust and burning off or smelling very bad.

Whenever i have to tackle a leak issue, I first wash the engine bay thoroughly. Wash the are where the leak has developed very thoroughly. Drive the car a few days and revisit the drip area. Depending on how severe the leak is, you might have to drive a few more days before it shows.
Once you locate where its coming from, fix the problem.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by RR5
Makes sense! This is one of those problems where it's not easy to describe and many shops I visit are mostly not helpful in trying to diagnose the problem.

I'll call around for some prices on getting those seals replaced. The first shop was looking for the torque converter seal $600 and if the torque converter needed replacing, $1,000.
sounds like you're getting quotes from the big dealerships. Find a small independent shop, they should be able to do the pump seal for around $400. The seal itself is cheap, it's the labor that kills on this job.

Also, I would strongly recommend doing the rear main seal if you do the pump seal, since you gonna be dropping the tranny, might as well add a bit more for the RMS and save hundreds of dollars later on.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Interesting. I'd still take a second look at the high pressure ps hose since that system uses atf too.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM
RR5

Nope not a dealership quote. And I want to pressure wash the engine bay, problem is getting at the underside. I would have to lift up the front end and doing that in a coin wash place would look funny.

In that case I was considering going with a UV leak detector kit.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 AM
RR5

Going in the morning to get another shops opinion, which costs $60. Sigh. I am betting on being told minimum $1,000 for repairs.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:01 AM

I dunno, something smells. I agree with the others, get a second opinion.

If there is something that's making the torque converter wobble, the vibration would also affect the rear main seal on the flywheel. It might just be that the seal failed and they were making stuff up to answer your "why?" question - sometimes seals just fail. If they end up pulling the transmission to do the work, yes, replace the axle seals too. If they're not on the quote, you know they're looking for a comeback with new work.

As stated, triple-check that steering system because it uses ATF too.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
RR5

Well this shop confirms the trans is leaking, front pump area. Ballpark to cost to repair is $800. Blah blah, who knows what they will find when the trans is opened. Confirmed at this shop the transmission is leaking not steering system.

Sigh, back to the first shop once more.