5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Some Brake Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2001, 04:40 PM

Some Brake Questions...

Ever noticed how touchy the brakes are when you first start up your car, head off, and then you step on the brake to slow down for a stop sign? After the 3rd or 4th application, it goes back to being spongy, but not as touchy..

Why?

Also, coming near a stop, I sometimes hear a soft "clank clank" comming from the wheels. Any idea of what it is? I assume it's the brake calliper or the rotors;they are warped. The brakes are covered by which warrenty? I have 33K miles, I hope its not the 36K bumper to bumper
Old 12-30-2001, 05:00 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Re: Some Brake Questions...

Originally posted by ScreamingVQ
Ever noticed how touchy the brakes are when you first start up your car, head off, and then you step on the brake to slow down for a stop sign? After the 3rd or 4th application, it goes back to being spongy, but not as touchy..

Why?

Also, coming near a stop, I sometimes hear a soft "clank clank" comming from the wheels. Any idea of what it is? I assume it's the brake calliper or the rotors;they are warped. The brakes are covered by which warrenty? I have 33K miles, I hope its not the 36K bumper to bumper
change the pads, AXXIS are great i have them on, painted them yellow, with the calipers being red,,they look sharp
axxis metal masters
Old 12-30-2001, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Also, coming near a stop, I sometimes hear a soft "clank clank" comming from the wheels. Any idea of what it is?
I have been told that the sound you are hearing is the universal joints, and that it is normal, and that besides replacing the drive shafts, there is nothing you can do about it.
Dont know if that is true or not.

The spongy feel in the brakes means there is air in the lines and that it needs to be bled.
Old 12-30-2001, 06:20 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Some Brake Questions...

Originally posted by JimmyH

I have been told that the sound you are hearing is the universal joints, and that it is normal, and that besides replacing the drive shafts, there is nothing you can do about it.
Let me guess, the dealer told you that...

"That's normal, they all do that."
Old 12-30-2001, 06:55 PM
Got Bent?

the brakes are 'touchy' when you first start off because they are cold. They tend to bite harder when cold. As the brakes heat up, they feel different. As for the noise you hear, I don't know. I don't hear anything like that.
Old 12-30-2001, 07:08 PM

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
the brakes are 'touchy' when you first start off because they are cold. They tend to bite harder when cold. As the brakes heat up, they feel different.
called brake fade, right?
Old 12-30-2001, 09:22 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Some Brake Questions...

Originally posted by mzmtg

Let me guess, the dealer told you that...

"That's normal, they all do that."
I dont ask the dealer anything. They dont know jack, and will tell you anything so long as they can hear themselves talk...
Old 12-31-2001, 12:00 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why?

what the...my brakes are crap until they're warmed up..
Old 12-31-2001, 12:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Why?

what the...my brakes are crap until they're warmed up..
and the brakes are not covered under warranty..they fall under the 'wear-and-tear' items..
Old 12-31-2001, 04:00 AM

Why?

After the car sits awhile the polished cast iron surface of the rotor develops a fine layer of rust - until this wears off the rotor has higher than normal friction. Note - depending on humidity this only takes an hour or so, sometimes you can even see it.