5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 Maxima $30k???

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2002, 07:14 AM

02 Maxima $30k???

Visited the local Nissan Dealership this weekend. Who the hell would pay $30K for a maxima? I saw a 2.5 Altima at the dealership for $28K?! Do you guys think they are really worth that much money? I much rather have the new Audi A4 1.8T for that $$$. How much did you guys pay for your 01-02 maxima???
Old 01-01-2002, 08:32 AM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

Originally posted by Tetsuo
Do you guys think they are really worth that much money?
no
Old 01-01-2002, 08:53 AM

Visited the local Nissan Dealership this weekend. Who the hell would pay $30K for a maxima? I saw a 2.5 Altima at the dealership for $28K?! Do you guys think they are really worth that much money? I much rather have the new Audi A4 1.8T for that $$$. How much did you guys pay for your 01-02 maxima???
Is that the MSRP or dealer invoice? More than likely thats the MSRP.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:17 AM

I very seriously doubt an Audi A4 can be bought for 28 or 29K. Yes, for 26-28K the SE loaded is a decent deal. Would rather pay that for what the Max has than say a Camry for the same amount or Accord. And the Acura TL-S is 33k and so on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:20 AM

The TL-S without Nav can be had for $30k. I negotiated one 3 weeks ago.

GC

Originally posted by JAKE02
I very seriously doubt an Audi A4 can be bought for 28 or 29K. Yes, for 26-28K the SE loaded is a decent deal. Would rather pay that for what the Max has than say a Camry for the same amount or Accord. And the Acura TL-S is 33k and so on. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-01-2002, 09:31 AM

Old 01-01-2002, 10:23 AM

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.nc3?kbb.NY;227755&11790;car&6;Audi;2002%20A4&M3M1A2&

base price of 02 A4 1.8T MSRP $25,475.00
Old 01-01-2002, 10:47 AM

Thank You!

GC

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.nc3?kbb.NY;227755&11790;car&6;Audi;2002%20A4&M3M1A2&

base price of 02 A4 1.8T MSRP $25,475.00
Old 01-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

$30K on the sticker is not that odd

My dealer had $33K on the sticker of my AE last year. $30K plus his moronic dealer markup because the car was in "high demand." I paid about $27K.
Old 01-01-2002, 12:26 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

good and bad...

some people pay that much. I know, its incredible. And I *almost* feel sorry for them when they try to sell their car.

On the upside, that must be why Maximas tend to fetch alot when totalled. They tend to be bought to salvage for thousands over blue book. go figure.
Old 01-01-2002, 02:52 PM

Nice question. Who the hell would pay $30K for a Maxima? Thousands of people. Let me tell you, bought my used 2K Sunlit Sand SE fully loaded for $22K this Summer. The best deal that I could find on a new 2K1 Max was $27k. Everyone that I talked to that bought a Max when they came out spent $30K on theirs. I have searched high and low, for $30K you will not find anything that compares to our Maxes. I love the BMW's 3 series, Porsches 911's, and other German cars but theya re too expensive. To find out what I mean, go to the Nissan website, build a MAX, then go to either:BMW, Mercedes, or Audi's website and do the same. Once you see the price differential you can see why thousands of people have paid $30K for a Max. Sorry if this is too long a post. Just my $.02.
Old 01-01-2002, 06:34 PM

Re: Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

Originally posted by rubman

Nice question. Who the hell would pay $30K for a Maxima? Thousands of people. Let me tell you, bought my used 2K Sunlit Sand SE fully loaded for $22K this Summer. The best deal that I could find on a new 2K1 Max was $27k. Everyone that I talked to that bought a Max when they came out spent $30K on theirs. I have searched high and low, for $30K you will not find anything that compares to our Maxes. I love the BMW's 3 series, Porsches 911's, and other German cars but theya re too expensive. To find out what I mean, go to the Nissan website, build a MAX, then go to either:BMW, Mercedes, or Audi's website and do the same. Once you see the price differential you can see why thousands of people have paid $30K for a Max. Sorry if this is too long a post. Just my $.02.

So why is it that ppl pay $30K for a maxima? American built quality? American Design? Handling of a ??? Or maybe people just don't know what else is there to get? Maxima use to be good value at $23K for a new SE but at $30 you are getting closer to a market which can offer you so much more, A4 1.8T, 325i, C240... Have you sat in any of these cars? Do you notice the quality of the interior the way everything feels and looks? Have you driver anyone of these cars? I am not even saying this because i own a audi and a porsche, but even you look at $$$ wise, you know all 3 of those car includes service for the first 3-4 years! Plus you get a loaner for everytime you bring your car into service. Futhermore, the maxima still only has a 3 year /36000 mile warranty instead of the 4year/50,000 miles warranty. Granted the V6 engine is pretty sweet, probably kills all those cars in the 1/4 mile, but be honest with yourself which would you really rather have? A maxima right

Cheers!

Tetsuo
Old 01-01-2002, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

So why is it that ppl pay $30K for a maxima? American built quality? American Design? Handling of a ??? Or maybe people just don't know what else is there to get? Maxima use to be good value at $23K for a new SE but at $30 you are getting closer to a market which can offer you so much more, A4 1.8T, 325i, C240... Have you sat in any of these cars? Do you notice the quality of the interior the way everything feels and looks? Have you driver anyone of these cars? I am not even saying this because i own a audi and a porsche, but even you look at $$$ wise, you know all 3 of those car includes service for the first 3-4 years! Plus you get a loaner for everytime you bring your car into service. Futhermore, the maxima still only has a 3 year /36000 mile warranty instead of the 4year/50,000 miles warranty. Granted the V6 engine is pretty sweet, probably kills all those cars in the 1/4 mile, but be honest with yourself which would you really rather have? A maxima right

Cheers!

Tetsuo

Yes, i would rather have a Maxima, thats why i just bought a 2K2 SE 6 SPD with bose and roof for 26K. I too like previous posts like BMW's Who doesnt? But, they are too damn expensive. I wouldnt want to pay 30K+ for a 325i with a four banger. and the 330i approaches 38K to 40K. as for the Audi, i looked at a 2K2 A4 and the sticker was 30K+ and i didnt especially care for it with its fake leatherette and all...nice car no doubt but like i said would rather have my max with HID, 6spd,Bose,255 horse V6 and japaneese reliability...who cares about the warranty....look at consumer reports and see the reliability records. cant wait to pull up next to a bimmer or audi and see the expressions on their faces as i show them the max's tailights for about 5-10 grand less.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

Yes, i would rather have a Maxima, thats why i just bought a 2K2 SE 6 SPD with bose and roof for 26K. I too like previous posts like BMW's Who doesnt? But, they are too damn expensive. I wouldnt want to pay 30K+ for a 325i with a four banger. and the 330i approaches 38K to 40K. as for the Audi, i looked at a 2K2 A4 and the sticker was 30K+ and i didnt especially care for it with its fake leatherette and all...nice car no doubt but like i said would rather have my max with HID, 6spd,Bose,255 horse V6 and japaneese reliability...who cares about the warranty....look at consumer reports and see the reliability records. cant wait to pull up next to a bimmer or audi and see the expressions on their faces as i show them the max's tailights for about 5-10 grand less.
Again, I just think most people don't know. A 325i is a V6. You can tell the difference between the leatherette and leather? 1/4 mile isn't what it is always about There is always someone faster, like a turbo miata/civic that just can burn you for $10K less.

What about the reliability records? From what I remember Audi/BMW/MB were all up there.

Regardless, enjoy your maxima, it is a nice car, but not for $30K + that was my point.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:19 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

Again, I just think most people don't know. A 325i is a V6. You can tell the difference between the leatherette and leather? 1/4 mile isn't what it is always about There is always someone faster, like a turbo miata/civic that just can burn you for $10K less.

What about the reliability records? From what I remember Audi/BMW/MB were all up there.

Regardless, enjoy your maxima, it is a nice car, but not for $30K + that was my point.
The 325i has an I6 not V6 ..but yes I get your point.

I'm not sure if the reliability of Audi/BMW is as good as a Japanese car. I've many things about Audi's electrical system and how crappy their dealers are. Dunno about BMW, but I have heard maintance on them is expensive (after their free period).

Also once you equip the BMW or Audi to the same level as the Maxima, then the price is way higher. Also you have to compare the BMW 530 and the Audi A6 2.8 to the Maxima, not the 3-series or the A4. In terms of size, the 5-series and the A6 and the Maxima are all in the same class and they cost way more. Most people who buy a Maxima don't really consider the A4 or 3-series since they would probable be to small for their needs.

BTW, what Porsche and Audi do you have?? It must be nice to be rich! =)
Old 01-01-2002, 07:26 PM

this post is for the guy who said he negotiated a TL-s for 30K. Did u purchase it and if so where? The dealer i went to wanted 33K. and i wasnt expecting much to come off the sticker cause those cars are relatively priced well considering the standard equip. did u say that 30K included nav? if so that is really hard to believe. The 5-6 K difference made my decision btw the acura and the max. besides the acura being auto only. 2k2 SE 6spd.....what else?
Old 01-01-2002, 07:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 02 Maxima $30k???

***The 325i has an I6 not V6 ..but yes I get your point.

yes yes thank you.

***I'm not sure if the reliability of Audi/BMW is as good as a Japanese car. I've many things about Audi's electrical system and how crappy their dealers are. Dunno about BMW, but I have heard maintance on them is expensive (after their free period).

who really take their cars to service on every mileage mark in the manual? But really, the reliability of audi's and bmw I belive to be on par with japanese cars. I sincerely belive that the japanese car quality has gone down now that they are built in the US, but i have zero facts to back this up. I want my car to be made in the mother land, or at least on the same continent.

***Also once you equip the BMW or Audi to the same level as the Maxima, then the price is way higher. Also you have to compare the BMW 530 and the Audi A6 2.8 to the Maxima, not the 3-series or the A4. In terms of size, the 5-series and the A6 and the Maxima are all in the same class and they cost way more. Most people who buy a Maxima don't really consider the A4 or 3-series since they would probable be to small for their needs.

I thought young ppl buy cars for their own enjoyment, the backseats are large enough to carry ppl, and if the front seats are too small for you, probably a good time for diet.

***BTW, what Porsche and Audi do you have?? It must be nice to be rich! =)

S4 and Boxster S, I wouldn't know
Old 01-01-2002, 07:43 PM

this post is for the guy who said he negotiated a TL-s for 30K. Did u purchase it and if so where? The dealer i went to wanted 33K. and i wasnt expecting much to come off the sticker cause those cars are relatively priced well considering the standard equip. did u say that 30K included nav? if so that is really hard to believe. The 5-6 K difference made my decision btw the acura and the max. besides the acura being auto only. 2k2 SE 6spd.....what else?
$30K for TL-S w/ NAV is not likely as dealer invoice for that car is $30.5K Very possible for a S without the NAV thou.
Old 01-01-2002, 07:47 PM

Maxes, even fully loaded SE 6spd. can be negotiated down to $27K. That is on of the thing s that I hav learned from this forum. A fully loaded 2002 330CI, or 330I is roght at $40K(hid's, leather, cd changer, 17's, sport suspension). Now $10k is a substantial difference. Fully loaded, all German cars are very expensive. In order for those German cars to be very reliable, you have mandatory tune-ups(which are very expensive). I love BMW's, don't get me wrong, maybe in 2002 I will be able to buy an M3, or something else. Bottom line you get what you pay for, with German cars you pay a little bit more than with Japanese cars.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:30 PM

You're looking at someone who will
be forking $30k for a loaded 2k2 6spd
HLSD Max (no nav).

I ordered this car from my local dealer
back in 8/27/01. The sales manager
wouldn't budge below $30k (he was
insisting that $800 below invoice was
a "great" deal for a "hot" car--- I live
in the San Francisco Bay Area BTW). To
make a long story short, I paid a deposit
and took the deal. Well, since the 9/11
incident and with the economy going south,
people on this forum have been able to get
loaded HLSD 6spd Max's for invoice and
$500 above invoice. It's good that you
guys are getting such great deals, but
unfortunately,
I'll be paying way more than you guys!!!
Anyway, at the time it didn't seem bad
because I couldn't afford any of the cars
on my short list: M5, M3, 6spd S4,
540i, 5spd 330 (AWD). The $30k Max
seemed to be such a good deal compared
to the cars that I really wanted. I'd
have to fork over at least $8k or so
more to get a 5spd 330 with the sport
package, and $10k more to get a 6spd
S4.
Old 01-01-2002, 08:40 PM
It's chrome alright...

I don't think you're making a fair comparison... maxima is 30k LOADED, the others start over 30k and approach 40k with the same options.

That's why I recently opted out of a volvo s60 t5 and went with maxima. I'll get the maxima for less than 30k with everything but nav. The volvo starts at 35k with no options and gets to 39 with the same options as the maxima. We already have one volvo so I know what you mean about quality of cars in that class, but I'm having a hard time seeing how the maxima is 'less' of a car because it costs less.

I'll take delivery of 2k2 maxima in march with everything but nav and I think it's a steal.

Old 01-01-2002, 08:41 PM

Originally posted by vmax8
You're looking at someone who will
be forking $30k for a loaded 2k2 6spd
HLSD Max (no nav).

I ordered this car from my local dealer
back in 8/27/01. The sales manager
wouldn't budge below $30k (he was
insisting that $800 below invoice was
a "great" deal for a "hot" car--- I live
in the San Francisco Bay Area BTW). To
make a long story short, I paid a deposit
and took the deal. Well, since the 9/11
incident and with the economy going south,
people on this forum have been able to get
loaded HLSD 6spd Max's for invoice and
$500 above invoice. It's good that you
guys are getting such great deals, but
unfortunately,
I'll be paying way more than you guys!!!
Anyway, at the time it didn't seem bad
because I couldn't afford any of the cars
on my short list: M5, M3, 6spd S4,
540i, 5spd 330 (AWD). The $30k Max
seemed to be such a good deal compared
to the cars that I really wanted. I'd
have to fork over at least $8k or so
more to get a 5spd 330 with the sport
package, and $10k more to get a 6spd
S4.
so get a 4spd 325 with sports package and fork out
the same
Old 01-01-2002, 08:55 PM

so get a 4spd 325 with sports package and fork out
the same
4 main reasons why I probably
won't do so.

255HP (plus HLSD to harnass all that power
properly to the FWD).

6 speed manual.

0-60 in 5.9 seconds or so.

more interior room.

The 325 definitely handles better in the
twisties, but FSTB and RSB will make the
Max's performance on the curves acceptable
(cant' win 'em all).

I definitely considered the 325 option, but the
Max is more bang for the buck and costs
less to maintain!
Old 01-02-2002, 05:30 PM
swallac2

Explain something to me...Why in the hell would you come to a place like this (you strolled into a Maxima Forum ya know) then criticize the people that pay x for a car. I just got mine yesturday and paid 27k for a loaded 6speed Max(-NAV System) and love the car. Does your 27k Audi have heated seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats, sunroof, and on and on. No it doesn't niether does the BMW. Infact, BMW is often criticized for lack of ammenities for the price you pay. Price a 3 series out with the same options (3 liter not 2.5 for anything close in terms of HP) and you'll come up to about 40k. Granted the Max won't handle as well and probably won't hold it's value as well. But hey if your a yuppie ***** who feels that the BMW name will add an extra 9 inches to your man hood, then go right ahead. Myself, I was looking for a fun car that was nice to drive and reasonably priced, I found it.

So now go ahead over to the Civic Forum and ask them why they didn't buy a GTI for 18K. If you really want a fight on your hands walk into a Country bar and call the patrons dumb rednecks, cause that's about what you are doing here.

Old 01-02-2002, 05:34 PM

Originally posted by swallac2
Explain something to me...

SNIP

If you really want a fight on your hands walk into a Country bar and call the patrons dumb rednecks, cause that's about what you are doing here.
Who are you replying to?
Old 01-02-2002, 06:11 PM
swallac2

The dude who started this whole thing....

Old 01-02-2002, 07:28 PM

Originally posted by vmax8

4 main reasons why I probably
won't do so.

255HP (plus HLSD to harnass all that power
properly to the FWD).

6 speed manual.

0-60 in 5.9 seconds or so.

more interior room.

The 325 definitely handles better in the
twisties, but FSTB and RSB will make the
Max's performance on the curves acceptable
(cant' win 'em all).

I definitely considered the 325 option, but the
Max is more bang for the buck and costs
less to maintain!

When u say u got a fully loaded Se 6 spd for 27k (-NAV) is that plus TTL? i got my SE 2% over invoice at 26300 plus TTL. Mine is 6 spd with cloth, Bose, Roof, guards, deflector. no leather or meridian, was happy to find a 6 spd. like your thread about bmw and max's/
Old 01-03-2002, 06:14 AM
swallac2

When u say u got a fully loaded Se 6 spd for 27k (-NAV) is that plus TTL? i got my SE 2% over invoice at 26300 plus TTL. Mine is 6 spd with cloth, Bose, Roof, guards, deflector. no leather or meridian, was happy to find a 6 spd. like your thread about bmw and max's/
Yes sorry I guess I should have said that 27k plus Tax/Tags/Title etc. Also it was after the $500 cash back Nissan was giving until Jan 2nd.

Old 01-03-2002, 06:52 AM

Uhhhh... my 2K2 SE had a dealer sticker price of $30,182 and I paid $23,411 for it. Don't worry about what the sticker price says.
Old 01-03-2002, 07:36 AM

The dude who started this whole thing....
You are talking about Tetsuo right? Not to be a **** or flame, he use to own a Max as well (4th gen). He is a verteran maxima owner (as am i).

I think he feels that for the amount of $$ people pay for a new 2k2 max, you can get something of better quality. (Its all personal pref on what you think is better). People like him & I were use to seeing high 17-low 20's for a pretty well load Max (mid-late 90's era). The price has shot up.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:01 AM
swallac2

Originally posted by Synki

You are talking about Tetsuo right? Not to be a **** or flame, he use to own a Max as well (4th gen). He is a verteran maxima owner (as am i).

I think he feels that for the amount of $$ people pay for a new 2k2 max, you can get something of better quality. (Its all personal pref on what you think is better). People like him & I were use to seeing high 17-low 20's for a pretty well load Max (mid-late 90's era). The price has shot up.
And I can understand and appreciate that.....but you don't walk into a place like this questioning people who spend that sort of money. To each his own I guess, thats why there are so many brands with so many models. I didn't mean to come off with a flame or be a jerk.

Old 01-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

And I can understand and appreciate that.....but you don't walk into a place like this questioning people who spend that sort of money. To each his own I guess, thats why there are so many brands with so many models. I didn't mean to come off with a flame or be a jerk.
it's allll relative. people will buy what they want to buy. he's just voicing his thoughts and wanted some input from others. that is all. people need to relax a bit. you earned the $...you buy what YOU want and what makes YOU feel good. so some people rather have a BMW or a Audi or something else...some may want a honda, nissan, toyota etc. so it's up to the guy who's buying it. no one else.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:41 PM

Explain something to me...Why in the hell would you come to a place like this (you strolled into a Maxima Forum ya know) then criticize the people that pay x for a car. I just got mine yesturday and paid 27k for a loaded 6speed Max(-NAV System) and love the car. Does your 27k Audi have heated seats, heated steering wheel, memory seats, sunroof, and on and on. No it doesn't niether does the BMW. Infact, BMW is often criticized for lack of ammenities for the price you pay. Price a 3 series out with the same options (3 liter not 2.5 for anything close in terms of HP) and you'll come up to about 40k. Granted the Max won't handle as well and probably won't hold it's value as well. But hey if your a yuppie ***** who feels that the BMW name will add an extra 9 inches to your man hood, then go right ahead. Myself, I was looking for a fun car that was nice to drive and reasonably priced, I found it.

So now go ahead over to the Civic Forum and ask them why they didn't buy a GTI for 18K. If you really want a fight on your hands walk into a Country bar and call the patrons dumb rednecks, cause that's about what you are doing here.
do i need heated steering wheels, memory seats, sunroof , and on and on? I want a car that drives nice, feels solid, and the maxima isn't it, especially for $30K or $27K.

why not a GTI, cause it is dated, and not has fun to mod as a civic.

I owned two maxima's a 95 w/ NOS and a 99 with standard mods, so I guess i got use to hanging around here. It's also interesting to watch ppl like u getting worked up feeling ripped off on ur $27K "japanese" car?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:49 PM

my friend was looking at a new TL-S, everything including bodykit with no NAV, $31500, she got a Benz C240 instead.
Old 01-03-2002, 08:49 PM

do i need heated steering wheels, memory seats, sunroof , and on and on? I want a car that drives nice, feels solid, and the maxima isn't it, especially for $30K or $27K.

why not a GTI, cause it is dated, and not has fun to mod as a civic.

I owned two maxima's a 95 w/ NOS and a 99 with standard mods, so I guess i got use to hanging around here. It's also interesting to watch ppl like u getting worked up feeling ripped off on ur $27K "japanese" car?
Now I understand. You have a small *****.

Okay, in all seriousness...what is this thread about again? Can somebody lock this one or move it to off-topic so none of the people on it can post on it without at least donating $25 to the ORG?
Old 01-03-2002, 08:55 PM

I had a '98 fully loaded GLE for under $25k, and that was still a rip off cuz I missed the rebate, the same car could be had for $24k. Now for that price, the car offers damn good value, that's why I got it back then.

Sorry to say, now days when Altima is mid 20's, and Maxima hits over $30k, it kinda defeats the original purpose of a sporty family value sedan. I understand that Nissan is trying to raising the status, Altima is getting bigger and taking Maxima place, Maxima is supposed to be at a higher level now. However, at low 30's, you are going up against entry level prestige brands like BMW, Audi and Benz, and I don't see Maxima to be a wise choice, that's for me of course.
Old 01-03-2002, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

Now I understand. You have a small *****.

Okay, in all seriousness...what is this thread about again? Can somebody lock this one or move it to off-topic so none of the people on it can post on it without at least donating $25 to the ORG?
okay big boy
Old 01-03-2002, 11:56 PM

I take it no one's heard of inflation and the rising yen? When Japan's currency is worth 3x's what it used to be something has to give. From the early 80's to now Japans currency is worth about 3x's what it used to be. So that means what used to cost $20k in the US now should cost $60k in the US because the cost of making it over there hasn't changed any.

Now the yen has fallen a bit in the last few years so it's not as bad as it was, but this explains a lot if you think about it. The price increase and the lower quality materials come with the territory. With a 25% decrease in the Yen's value in the past year the Japanese are getting a little price break/increased profits. This might explain why some of the materials in the 2k2 Max seem better than the last 2 years. They can spend more on them and not have to pass the cost along to the customer.

Stereodude
Old 01-04-2002, 07:00 AM

hey Tetsuo, buy yourself an e34 M5 if you have the means, one of these cars can be had from $16K to about $28K depending on year. The 93-95' model has a 340HP motor in it! The 95' also had a six speed manual in it. Alost all of the M cars ever made came with a manual gearbox except for US E36's and some M8 (850csi). 88-92 has only 315HP (WOW "only")...

Expect the 93-95 car to be in the upper 20K range though..

go here: http://www.bmwm5.com/

click on the "M5 E 34" page

Don't get me wrong I love my max, but this guy sounds like he's asking for more driving thrills than even an 02' max can provide.

Old 01-04-2002, 07:35 AM

A V6??? BMW doesn't make one, last time I checked, the 323 had an inline 6 putting out 184hp and 175lb/ft of torque.

Try going to BMW's website and building a similarly equipped 323 for less than $35,000. Then TELL ME that you can go to a BMW dealership and negotiate $5-$6,000 off the sticker...Not anywhere in Texas

Quick Reply: 02 Maxima $30k???