5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

auto to 5 speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 08:08 AM

auto to 5 speed swap

Hello Everyone:

So today i went to the Junk yard and luckly a local owner has 2 maximas which he is parting out, i cam a cross a 01 maxima 5 speed, after talking to the owner for a bit he told me that he would sell me all the parts need to complete the swap for 400 dollars

My question is have this been done on the forum before? from what i hear its a big PIA to do the swap but i am just un sure whats all the parts that are need to complete the swap?

I cam across a link of 4th gen owner who did the swap and it was sucessful but, his page has not been updated since 2006 and the info on it is not all that accurate. If anyone has a DIY link to share it would be great.

thanks for the input in advance.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:11 AM

If he has all the parts, then the swap is simple.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:29 AM

may I ask why not swap the car for a manual? By the time you buy all the parts and put all the labor hours into swapping the transmission with the manual it will be too much. Even if you do all the work yourself it is still very labor intensive.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:27 AM

dude, search but yeah. 5 speed swaps are done all of the time . **** , theres even 6 speed swaps. go to the how to's in the 4th or 5th gen section and you'll find a link on what parts you need and how to do the swap
Old 01-20-2012, 09:30 AM

400 is a good price for that. definitely go for the 5spd swap.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by eclipse98
Hello Everyone:

So today i went to the Junk yard and luckly a local owner has 2 maximas which he is parting out, i cam a cross a 01 maxima 5 speed, after talking to the owner for a bit he told me that he would sell me all the parts need to complete the swap for 400 dollars

My question is have this been done on the forum before? from what i hear its a big PIA to do the swap but i am just un sure whats all the parts that are need to complete the swap?

I cam across a link of 4th gen owner who did the swap and it was sucessful but, his page has not been updated since 2006 and the info on it is not all that accurate. If anyone has a DIY link to share it would be great.

thanks for the input in advance.
Ok man here it is:

If you're doing the work yourself:

Take the whole car. Use what you need and return the remainder to the wrecker. See if he'll go for this for a little more cash.

Pull the tranny and have it full inspected/rebuilt. Check FW and clutch at the same time. Pay the money to do this, don't mess around. Contact Dgeesman (unsure of spelling do a search) via PM, he knows everything there is to know about that transmission and will be able to offer any advice you need, he's a great guy.

Expect that this will cost you $1500 if you do it yourself.

Not many have done it on the 5th gen and posted much about it. The 4th gen however has the same tranny and engine for all intensive purposes and many people have done the swap on the 4th gen. Hunting in the Engine and drivetrain section and also on the 4th gen section will answer a lot of the simple questions you'll have.

Where do you live, I see it notes just Canada? PM me that info if you prefer.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the input fellas the only reason y i wanna do the swap is because there are no 5 speed maxima within a 500 mile radius thats for sale!

I will see what the wrecker will say about letting me take the car

As far as engine building goes anyone know of good rods/pistons that will fit as i plan to boost it from what i hear the bottom end is solid on the 5th gens
Old 01-20-2012, 05:05 PM

I live in halifax
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 AM
My axles cry for mercy...

Go for it. Here's a quick parts list to get you going.
  • Transmission
  • Shifter linkage
  • Shifter
  • Clutch pedal
  • Brake pedal
  • Clutch master cylinder
  • Clutch slave cylinder
  • 1 piece SS braided clutch line from the GD section
  • Driver side axle
  • Flywheel (get it resurfaced)
  • Just buy a new clutch kit because it comes with all other things you need
  • Also make sure you save all bolts. Put them in a ziplock bag with labels.

It's honestly not hard at all if you have ever pulled a transmission. The hardest parts of the swap was getting the old auto transmission off because of how heavy it was. (I left the fluid in) and the shifter linkage bolts. It's just in a very awkward location.

Use the 4th gen write up. The procedure is the same aside from wiring the P/N switch because the harness is a little different. The clutch pedal bolts up easier on the 5th gen. And you don't plug in the speed sensor because the 5th uses the ABS sensors for speed signal.

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
may I ask why not swap the car for a manual? By the time you buy all the parts and put all the labor hours into swapping the transmission with the manual it will be too much. Even if you do all the work yourself it is still very labor intensive.
Not if you ask me... Did mine in less than a day and it cost maybe $300 at most out of my own pocket.

Last edited by essential1; 01-21-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by essential1
  • Transmission
  • Shifter linkage
  • Shifter
  • Clutch pedal
  • Brake pedal
  • Clutch master cylinder
  • Clutch slave cylinder
  • Driver side axle

It's honestly not hard at all if you have ever pulled a transmission. The hardest parts of the swap was getting the old auto transmission off because of how heavy it was. (I left the fluid in) and the shifter linkage bolts. It's just in a very awkward location.

Use the 4th gen write up. The procedure is the same aside from wiring the P/N switch because the harness is a little different. The clutch pedal bolts up easier on the 5th gen. And you don't plug in the speed sensor because the 5th uses the ABS sensors for speed signal.

Not if you ask me... Did mine in less than a day and it cost maybe $300 at most out of my own pocket.
thanks for the input, here is the link i mention which i came across i think its some what detailed but im sharing it incase anyone is intrested in doing a swap as well

http://www.dynomagic.com/5spd_conversion.htm

as for parts here is the list the site mentions:

Parts Needed:
5 Speed Transmission (try and get the I30 LSD or Canadian Maxima LSD if possible – doubt it)
Both Manual drive shafts (if you have ABS you need specific ones, if you don't have ABS you can use ABS ones)
1 clutch kit (clutch disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing)
2 shifting rods (support rod + control rod) (acquire used w/ all the hardware)
Return spring (connect to the 2 shifting rods (Buy this new, the stiffer the tighter your shifter feels)
1 shifter (Acquire used to get nuts and bolts (buy with the shifter rods)
1 shifter console piece (interior)
1 shift consul bracket (Replaces your auto one) (interior) (dealer name plate bolt and transaxle hole cover)
1 brake pedal
1 clutch pedal
1 master cylinder
Hydraulic lines for clutch
1 slave cylinder for clutch
1 extra set of transmission harnesses (might come w/ 5spd transmission)
1 18ga wire and wiretaps
Assorted cotter pin set.
1 Manual Fly wheel
1 Manual motor mount
Transmission Fluid (GL-4 or redline is preferable)
Locking pin and clip for the clutch pedal to the master cylinder (you could bend a nail but I would go to the dealer and pay $4)
2 nuts that fit the threads on the clutch pedal.
1 bolt that bolts in the top of the clutch pedal (the dealer can find it's size for you)
1 bolt that connects the control rod to the transmission (the dealer can find it's size for you)
1 Haynes Manual just in case you need extra help

hopefully this will be all that i need to make the 5th gen standered
Old 01-21-2012, 08:08 AM

• Transmission
  • Shifter linkage
  • Shifter
  • Clutch pedal
  • Brake pedal
  • Clutch master cylinder
  • Clutch slave cylinder
  • Driver side axle

Tranny swap for $300? Someone got some freebies. And gambled with a transmission from the sound of it.

Neither list shows the ECU. I was under the impression this is needed.

By the time someone without a friend with a shop or garage, or garage of his own gets all the parts and knick nacks he's going to need, it'll add up very fast. I don't think my estimate is unreasonable by any means for someone with low experience doing this in his driveway and without air tools. Likely a full weekend IF you actually have everything you need. Plan on forgetting at least a couple things though lol. This is why getting the whole car would be perfect, no part hunting really you have EVERYTHING you need right there except the new components you'll want to buy, clutch, tob, bushings, linkage bushings, etc.

The biggest pocket hit is getting the tranny looked at/rebuilt, and if you buy a new Clutch kit. With the way these higher mileage 4th and 5th gen diffs eat bearings though, I wouldn't put it in without having a good look.

And if it does need a rebuild you can put in a Altima 2nd gear.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Tranny swap for $300? Someone got some freebies. And gambled with a transmission from the sound of it.

Neither list shows the ECU. I was under the impression this is needed.

By the time someone without a friend with a shop or garage, or garage of his own gets all the parts and knick nacks he's going to need, it'll add up very fast. I don't think my estimate is unreasonable by any means for someone with low experience doing this in his driveway and without air tools. Likely a full weekend IF you actually have everything you need. Plan on forgetting at least a couple things though lol. This is why getting the whole car would be perfect, no part hunting really you have EVERYTHING you need right there except the new components you'll want to buy, clutch, tob, bushings, linkage bushings, etc.

The biggest pocket hit is getting the tranny looked at/rebuilt, and if you buy a new Clutch kit. With the way these higher mileage 4th and 5th gen diffs eat bearings though, I wouldn't put it in without having a good look.

And if it does need a rebuild you can put in a Altima 2nd gear.

At that time We had a lot of transmissions lying around. Some were good, most just needed minor work to be perfect. Even then, one of my good friends rebuilds these with his eyes closed. Lol.

I'm still using my auto ecu because we don't have emissions tests. I don't disagree with your estimate at all. The price I paid is because me and a bunch of locals have a bunch of parts lying around. On top of that, we all do our own work. Time frame wise, if it takes longer than a day, you're just taking your sweet time. Or you wasted all your energy taking off the old auto. Lol. Or it was your first time dropping a tranny. Other than that, its a simple and straight forward process. 3 years later, mine is still running top notch.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:37 PM

At that time We had a lot of transmissions lying around. Some were good, most just needed minor work to be perfect. Even then, one of my good friends rebuilds these with his eyes closed. Lol.

I'm still using my auto ecu because we don't have emissions tests. I don't disagree with your estimate at all. The price I paid is because me and a bunch of locals have a bunch of parts lying around. On top of that, we all do our own work. Time frame wise, if it takes longer than a day, you're just taking your sweet time. Or you wasted all your energy taking off the old auto. Lol. Or it was your first time dropping a tranny. Other than that, its a simple and straight forward process. 3 years later, mine is still running top notch.
Wish I had that hook up

1 day to remove all the componenets needed of a rusty old wrecker car, remove all auto components from his car, clean all mating surfaces and prep everything, installing all components, wiring, all in a day? If you can do that you're seriously my hero man.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:32 PM

true, if you have everything in line, but sure it not a 1 person job... what about the ecu? do you think he will have to swap it too?
Old 01-21-2012, 04:15 PM

not true..... one you gotta go through the hassle of selling, finding another, inspection tags and all that crap... i did a 6MT swap and would do it again if i had to vs selling the auto and buying again... the 5spd swap is easier..

Anywas to the OP: go look in the all motor section bro
Old 01-21-2012, 04:16 PM

true, if you have everything in line, but sure it not a 1 person job... what about the ecu? do you think he will have to swap it too?
you can use the auto ECU with the swap... i would swap vs going through all that crap, plus a 5MT ECU is maybe $50 from car-parts.com
Old 01-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Thanks for all the input u guys been a great help so i plan on buying the parts sometime next week and will begin this project in april or may the wrecker has an extra vq30engine which he wants to sell for 200 was planning to buy that as well and see if i can rebuild it
Old 01-22-2012, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
Wish I had that hook up

1 day to remove all the componenets needed of a rusty old wrecker car, remove all auto components from his car, clean all mating surfaces and prep everything, installing all components, wiring, all in a day? If you can do that you're seriously my hero man.

Wtf is rust? Lol.

I always forget that I live in south Florida. Ive worked on cars with 200k+ on the odo with no rust on it. Hell, I have a 3rd gen in my driveway with 225k on it with no rust. But you're 100% correct. If the car is in bad shape, it will take more than a day.

The wiring is the easy part. just ground 1 wire to get the car started. Or run it to the pedal if u want to start with the pedal pressed. Then 1 more wire for the reverse lights.

2 people did mine. Just me and a friend. You don't need the ecu. Im still running my auto ecu.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:27 PM

Wtf is rust? Lol.
I envy this. Yes. He lives in the land of rust and things don't just fall apart like they do for you

I hate rust.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Ive been using the search button alot but couldnt find the answer to this question

Need to know if i buy everything made for my car(cylinder, clutch, shifter..etc) then buy a 5 speed transmission from a 1995 - 1999 maxima will there be any problems i should know about?... would i need to buy 1995-1999 axles maxima ?

thanx in advance
Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 AM

Try google search, not the forum search.

Forum searches don't work, google it.