5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

All the Learning Procedures - who has them?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM

All the Learning Procedures - who has them?

Guys,
On a previous thread I was discussing my IACV/Motor Mount concerns and think I have the problem fixed. DennisMik was a big help. I've been so busy that I just lived with it until this week. Ordered the IACV from ebay, and it came in today. Got it changed out, started the car (without giving it any gas) and viola, it roared to life and remained running! Here is the catch, my idle approached 1900. After a minute I tried to kick it down, which sent it higher and then it lowered to around 15-1600. So I now have a high idle issue. I have literally been searching the org for an hour looking for these procedures:

Reset ECU
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Idle Air Volume Learning

Why? Because I see other guys using them and assume I need to as well. Keep in mind, I have an 01 SE. Some say the ECU reset works for 5th and 6th gen. Some say that all I have to do is unplug the negative (some say the positive) cable. Does anyone have the concise answer for a straight 5th gen 01? Are there other procedures I am missing, and if so what are they and how do you perform them?

I'm just trying to figure out what will reset my idle speed so I can finish this repair and move on. What procedures should I do at this point, how do I do them? I can see the finish line, just need some more help getting there!

If someone has all the reset procedures and could post them in one spot, that would be great - but I still need to know which ones I need to use.
Thanks!
Jason
Old 02-27-2012, 07:37 PM

5th gens actual are broken into two categories but are all still 5th gens ... 00-01 known as 5th gens 02-03 known as 5.5 gens ... all the reset procedures you are looking for can be found here ... http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...ersary+edition
Old 02-28-2012, 03:58 AM

Thanks Ghost 54,
What about these then:

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning Procedure For 2002-2003
ECU Reset Procedure For 2002-2003
Throttle Position Learning Procedure For 2002-2003
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning Procedure For 2002-2003

Since they all say 2002-3, I can't use them, right? But since none are listed for my 2001, does that mean that they don't exist/are not needed for my car, or are those procedures just not posted here?

Finally, since only idle air relearn is listed for my year, will one of those bring my idle back in line?

Thanks!

Ok, so not knowing what procedures are correct, I let the car sit for 12 hours overnight with the battery completely disconnected. I put a CD in to see if it popped out (as some say this is an indication of the ECU being reset). It did.

When I went out to it, I turned the lights on and held the brakes down for 30 seconds (others say this releases stored electrons in the system which drains any remaining power). I then reconnected the battery. I did these procedures (most I did twice, and the IAVL twice back to back as someone said this was the key for him):

How to reset ECU in 5th and 6th Generation Maxima's
Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning
Idle Air Volume Learning

The car started up fine, went immediately to 1500 rpm and basically stayed there until it was up to temperature. It then proceeded to bounce back and forth from 1500 to 1900. Up and down and up and down like I was revving it. So I did the ECU and IAVL again. Upon start up it went right back to temperature (obviously) and immediately started the up and down again. Oh, and through out these procedures my SES light was on and never went off as the instructions say it will. Does the 01 have the SES and not a MIL?

What do I do now? The Idle Air Control Valve was obviously the initial problem (because I had to gas it to get it started and keep on it until it warmed up some and could idle on its own, although at a very low rpm - 500 or less). And my questions above still stand - if the procedures say for a 2002-3, do they work on a 2001 because they are all 5th gens or are they not required or not posted here for a 2001?

Help!

Jason

Last edited by NmexMAX; 02-28-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:04 AM
dot dot dot ...

The 5.5 gen and 6th gen versions do not apply to you.

This one does:

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...00-2001-a.html

You do not need any throttle position learning procedures because you have a cable operated throttle.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:56 PM

NmexMAX,
Thanks for your reply. The first procedures I tried (with the 5 times pushing of the accelerator) for sure didn't work. And it makes sense that I don't need the throttle relearn procedure, I just hadn't thought it through. I believe it is the right one, however, this procedure didnt work either. A while back I tightened up my throttle cable, and I'm now heading out to loosen it.

One of the other things on the list is to check the PCV valve operation, which I don't know how to do. And these two - Adjust closed throttle position switch and reset memory, and Check that downstream of throttle valve is free from air
leakage - I don't know how to do either.

If loosening the throttle cable and checking the IACV/AAC fuse (BTW, where is it?) doesn't do it, should I just lube up and go to the dealership? At least they won't be able to get me for the part that was bad - IACV, which is $320 at the parts counter before labor.

Any other suggestions?

Jason
Old 02-29-2012, 06:52 PM

Update

Well, I've about expended what I know how to do. Installing the new IACV solved my very low idle problem, but exchanged it for a very high idle problem. I tore it all back apart today, ohm tested the IACV (fine), reset my throttle valve (it was a little open), calibrated my TPS with continuity and replaced my PCV. Still 1500 rpm, bouncing up to 1900 when in park or neutral. My only other thought is that maybe the transistor is burned in the ECU, or maybe I have a vacuum leak that I'm not hearing. Tomorrow morning I'm going to shoot ether around the engine and see what I can hear. If that comes up empty I guess I will try again to take the ECU out and check for a bad STA509A. Any tips on getting it out? Can anyone tell me what to look for on that chip number wise? I think I read somewhere that there is a second number series that has to match for it to be the right one. And where can you get them? I hope not the dealer.

What am I missing????

Jason
Old 02-29-2012, 07:47 PM

The FSM has the procedure for doing the relearn without the FSM. If that did not work, see what the codes are, or follow the stated troubleshooting procedure.

If the ECU were baked, you'd see other codes or be chasing code ghosts. And because voltage steps applied to the IACV cause idle to get higher, the ECU is fine. Now you need to find where the high voltage is coming from that keeps the valve open, or the other cause of the high idle.

There is a vacuum input to the IACV too, from the power steering. It's possible that's stuck.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 AM

There is a vacuum input to the IACV too, from the power steering. It's possible that's stuck.

I read about that, but where is it? I only see two nipples for the antifreeze to run through.

Jason

Last edited by SE01Max; 03-01-2012 at 06:17 AM.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:38 PM

I searched for a leak with ether. I sprayed everything that I knew or thought might be a vacuum line, with no luck. The rpm is still jumping from 1500 to 1900, back and forth while in park or neutral.

I need to check out homeyclaus' idea about the vacuum line that has to do with the power steering. Where is that, and how is it connect to the IACV/TB?

Jason