5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SRS catback review

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 07:08 PM

SRS catback review

Althogh it hasn't been driven more than 30 miles, I can say that it's too loud for me.
Finish is impressive, fitment is impressive. Sounds great @ wot and idle. Also sounds good when reving w/o load. Daily drive is the issue. Going uphill for example @ about 55 mph and 2k is hella loud. In cabin drone is unacceptable.
For the money, it's a quality unit, if you don't mind the noise. For me though, it's just too loud and I'm looking into ways to quiet it down.
No rasp and no fart though.

Last edited by spock; 04-09-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Weld bushings onto it. Ive seen where some companies are doing this at the factory; last I saw was either an HHR or PT Cuiser exhaust. Drone/vibration is transferred from pipe and into welded bracket, then absorbed by rubber "bushing."
A larger resonator might also help, if that's an option.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:38 PM

Weld in the largest resonator you can fit. If thats not enough then weld in a different muffler. By then you might as well get a different exhaust. See where I'm going with this?
Old 04-09-2012, 07:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by spock
Althogh it hasn't been driven more than 30 miles, I can say that it's too loud for me.
Finish is impressive, fitment is impressive. Sounds great @ wot and idle. Also sounds good when reving w/o load. Daily drive is the issue. Going uphill for example @ about 55 mph and 2k is hella loud. In cabin drone is unacceptable.
For the money, it's a quality unit, if you don't mind the noise. For me though, it's just too loud and I'm looking into ways to quiet it down.
You were warned. Compare the size of the OEM resonator to this resonator and you'll discover the biggest culprit of that drone. It's fairly inexpensive to replace the resonator and you still come out ahead of most catbacks. It does mellow out some after more mileage but the drone never goes away. In defense of the SRS though, I believe the drone is just as bad with the Cattman 2.5" catback.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:55 PM

Any glass pack-style resonator is going to drone no matter how big it is. It's just the nature of the design.

That being said, if you want to reduce the drone, you might consider installing a chambered resonator before or after the glass pack.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:02 PM

Sounds like some good advice here, spock.

Don't suppose you're going to post a video so we can hear this horrible thing?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:03 PM

Thanks for the review. It's timely because I have been looking at a catback
system but I wouldn't be able to handle the drone either. Strike this one off the list. Megan next?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:46 PM
Got Retrofit?

OP, are you auto or manual?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:48 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by ateick
system but I wouldn't be able to handle the drone either. Strike this one off the list. Megan next?
Nope. I doubt you will find a performance catback for the Maxima that doesn't drone without modification to the system you buy. Especially if you have an autotragic. Performance exhaust isn't for everyone. If noise it a deal breaker for you, replace with OEM. You can't go wrong.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by nelledge
You were warned. Compare the size of the OEM resonator to this resonator and you'll discover the biggest culprit of that drone. It's fairly inexpensive to replace the resonator and you still come out ahead of most catbacks. It does mellow out some after more mileage but the drone never goes away. In defense of the SRS though, I believe the drone is just as bad with the Cattman 2.5" catback.
Yeah put some more miles onon it, should quiet down I know when I put my Cattman on I was like WTF did I do, but got way quieter, should of done the ebay piping stock muffler....
Old 04-09-2012, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Spock, this is with the Cattman Y right? I installed a Megan catback with my Y and initially it was too loud also. I replaced the metal intake tube on my SRI with the stock hemholz chamber, and that quieted things down a lot. It quieted down further once some carbon had built up, and now it's quite mellow, with no irritable drone (6 speed), but has a nice growl. If you have an SRI without the stock chamber, try it with.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:58 PM

^ This is true.

Once the catback breaks in, and the fiberglass in the glasspack starts to settle, things will quiet down considerably.

However, that quieting down phase will eventually end, and then things will start to get louder as the glasspack breaks down. However, that's years down the road. Your catback would probably rust out before that happened.

Also, for what it's worth, the SRS catback with the OEM axleback in place, with the Y-pipe will give the car a nice, quiet, yet tuned sound.

I remember going from eBay Greddy knock-off to OBX headers --> testpipe --> 2.5" piping from the eBay exhaust --> stock axleback. The sound was actually pretty nice.

Last edited by Mr. Brett; 04-09-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:37 AM

Megan is notoriously loud & would probably be just as bad or worse.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:49 AM

Gutted Pre Cats-Resonated test pipe-Cattman B-Pipe(2.5)-40 Series Flowmaster = nice rumble and no drone. For me anyway.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:21 AM

I'm disappointed you're not satisfied with the SR*S. That said, I'm VERY happy with mine and wouldn't have recommended it otherwise. Plus, I posted a detailed review of my SR*S here. http://forums.maxima.org/8249660-post92.html As a reference prior to purchase, for others to make their own decision.
It seems to some degree, drone is inherent ALL peformance catback exhaust. I've listened to MANY sound clips of exhaust setups and SR*S is among the most quiet & pleasing tones in the bunch. I don't find it objectionable, but that's my subjective opinion. From the start I mentioned the possible need for a larger resonator. In all fairness, no drone is a lot to expect from a 3"Dia/16"L resonator. I maintain, SR*S is a great value in price/quality/sound, despite any criticism to the contrary.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
great question
Old 04-10-2012, 04:46 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by BobPezz
I'm disappointed you're not satisfied with the SR*S. That said, I'm VERY happy with mine and wouldn't have recommended it otherwise. Plus, I posted a detailed review of my SR*S here. http://forums.maxima.org/8249660-post92.html As a reference prior to purchase, for others to make their own decision.
It seems to some degree, drone is inherent ALL peformance catback exhaust. I've listened to MANY sound clips of exhaust setups and SR*S is among the most quiet & pleasing tones in the bunch. I don't find it objectionable, but that's my subjective opinion. From the start I mentioned the possible need for a larger resonator. In all fairness, no drone is a lot to expect from a 3"Dia/16"L resonator. I maintain, SR*S is a great value in price/quality/sound, despite any criticism to the contrary.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
great question
Rowing the gears on a 6MT results in a different overall perception of exhaust tone than a 4AT would, that's true.

But it's not that great of a question, since spock drives an Infiniti I35. MT swaps into the Infiniti aren't exactly commonplace.

Last edited by Rochester; 04-10-2012 at 06:52 AM.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:51 AM

I posted a detailed review of my SR*S here. http://forums.maxima.org/8249660-post92.html As a reference prior to purchase, for others to make their own decision.
Great write up. Thanks that helps and thanks regarding the feedback on the Megan setup. Fit and finish to this SRS seems just as good as Megan and if drone is equal to or greater it doesn't make much sense for me to spend the extra $.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:59 AM
dot dot dot ...

Test pipe, y-pipe?
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM

Give it some time and it will quiet down. I have had mine on for around 2 thousand miles and its rather quiet. I don't have gutted cats or headers so that could be why it seems quiet. There is a drone from about 65 to 80 but its nothing that turning up the radio can't fix.

I just went to the dragstip and all my friends like how it sounded. Overall It's a great exhaust for the money
Old 04-10-2012, 02:26 PM

Great write up. Thanks that helps and thanks regarding the feedback on the Megan setup. Fit and finish to this SRS seems just as good as Megan and if drone is equal to or greater it doesn't make much sense for me to spend the extra $.
Not to mention the SR*S is readily available & Megan is usually back ordered forever. I've also read several reports on Megan being too loud & fitment/quality issues.

Originally Posted by nelledge
It seems drone is ALWAYS an issue. Even the finest Cattman exhaust has a drone. My theory is, Stainless being a Steel Alloy has different corrosion, mechanical & thermal properties. It's sound damping, resonance & transmission qualities may also differ vs. Plain Steel. Since sound conduction changes with the transmission media.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-10-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:59 PM

Are all the SRS 2.5"? even the 4th gen?
Old 04-10-2012, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Rochester
Rowing the gears on a 6MT results in a different overall perception of exhaust tone than a 4AT would, that's true.

But it's not that great of a question, since spock drives an Infiniti I35. MT swaps into the Infiniti aren't exactly commonplace.
but not impossible... so to not ***ume i think it was a good question... anyways autos does drone more than 6 ot 5mt's... not even a cattman catback would save that

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 04-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:10 PM

Sounds like some good advice here, spock.
Don't suppose you're going to post a video so we can hear this horrible thing?
Have you been spending too much time over at Gdriver?
Originally Posted by Mr. Brett
I love the idiocy that goes on over at Gdriver.
Like I said before, if it isn't Motordyne, Kinetix, or HKS, it's garbage to them.
but not impossible... so to not ***ume i think it was a good question... anyways autos does drone more than 6 ot 5mt's... not even a cattman catback would save that
Exactly my point...Thank You!

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
Are all the SRS 2.5"? even the 4th gen?
I think so & the 4th gen exhaust has a single 4" (potato launcher) muffler tip.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-10-2012 at 03:25 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:19 PM
Got Retrofit?

Exactly my point...Thank You!
That's what I was tryna get at lol
Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by StevieB
Spock, this is with the Cattman Y right? I installed a Megan catback with my Y and initially it was too loud also. I replaced the metal intake tube on my SRI with the stock hemholz chamber, and that quieted things down a lot. It quieted down further once some carbon had built up, and now it's quite mellow, with no irritable drone (6 speed), but has a nice growl. If you have an SRI without the stock chamber, try it with.
This is with the Cattman y. I do have a SRI, but the hemholz is in place.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:34 PM

spock, seems that all you need is a larger, or 2nd, resonator.

PITA and more money, sure, but you can still make this right.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:40 PM

Relatively stock I35 = auto transmission. Realatively stock = NWP spacers and a SRI.
First step is to add a 22" resonator. That probably won't be satisfactory but it's relatively inexpensive.
When that doesn't work, I've been offered a G35 muffler from Tuner. A bit of fabbing, about the same total cost as a Cattman and it should be all good. Except for the fact that it's not a Cattman.
If not, I'll rip it all off and install Walker or Bosal and pout until I sell the car.
On a positive note there is zero rasp and zero fart back when you let off the accelerator. Also, when pulling away from a light, easing into 3/4 throttle quickly, (rather than standing on it), the tire(s), break loose @ around 4700 rpm. It didn't do that b4.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:42 PM

spock, I wish every day that my G's exhaust made more noise. I miss it like you don't know.

Other than than, I'm ridonkulously happy.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:49 PM

Um, salt, wound, rub? Or is it empathy?
Old 04-10-2012, 04:55 PM

Um, salt, wound, rub? Or is it empathy?
None of the above. I'm just saying, one man's noise is another man's music.

Which is itself simple advice -- turn up the radio until you learn to like it.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:59 PM

Won't ever like it in it's current state. It doesn't help that the wife drives the car and says "It's broken and I'm embarassed to drive it."
Something must change.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:02 PM

It doesn't help that the wife drives the car and says "It's broken and I'm embarassed to drive it."
That's funny stuff.

I retract my previous statement. Make the wifey happy.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:40 PM

First step is to add a 22" resonator. That probably won't be satisfactory but it's relatively inexpensive.
That should help out quite a bit. Magnaflow makes a wide range of resonators in different lengths, pipe diameters, and case diameters. Another thing to consider is fitting two of them on there. You would have to measure your pipe, but if two 22's don't fit, then perhaps two 18's, or whatever is needed to fit as much resonated area as possible.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM

You'll never fit more than 1 22" resonator in there. Unless you could squeak a 16" or so in where the pipe crosses over to the pass side. A 22" body, 28" overall length Magnaflow is on it's way. It's a gamble, (again), but I hope it helps. If I could reduce the decibels by 30% , which is about how much longer the 22" is, it could work.
Then again, I don't buy lottery tickets either.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM

a 22" resonator wont help.. ive tried this before... spock just simply replace the resonator for a 30" resonator if it really bugs you that bad, n if u arent using stock cat, install that back too.. it will help ur drone tremendously idk about it being fully eliminated though but dang near
Old 04-10-2012, 06:55 PM

You'll never fit more than 1 22" resonator in there. Unless you could squeak a 16" or so in where the pipe crosses over to the pass side. A 22" body, 28" overall length Magnaflow is on it's way. It's a gamble, (again), but I hope it helps. If I could reduce the decibels by 30% , which is about how much longer the 22" is, it could work.
Then again, I don't buy lottery tickets either.
actually you got this right lol
Old 04-10-2012, 07:03 PM

All stock cats are in place. The 22" might be the only, (small), hope b4 I break down and but an aftermarkey oem style muffler and fail.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:12 AM

Relatively stock I35 = auto transmission. Realatively stock = NWP spacers and a SRI. First step is to add a 22" resonator. That probably won't be satisfactory but it's relatively inexpensive. When that doesn't work, I've been offered a G35 muffler from Tuner. A bit of fabbing, about the same total cost as a Cattman and it should be all good. Except for the fact that it's not a Cattman. If not, I'll rip it all off and install Walker or Bosal and pout until I sell the car. On a positive note there is zero rasp and zero fart back when you let off the accelerator. Also, when pulling away from a light, easing into 3/4 throttle quickly, (rather than standing on it), the tire(s), break loose @ around 4700 rpm. It didn't do that b4.
a 22" resonator wont help.. ive tried this before... spock just simply replace the resonator for a 30" resonator if it really bugs you that bad, n if u arent using stock cat, install that back too.. it will help ur drone tremendously idk about it being fully eliminated though but dang near
None of the above. I'm just saying, one man's noise is another man's music. Which is itself simple advice -- turn up the radio until you learn to like it.
Won't ever like it in it's current state. It doesn't help that the wife drives the car and says "It's broken and I'm embarassed to drive it." Something must change.
That's funny stuff. I retract my previous statement. Make the wifey happy.
Even Cattman owners report drone to one degree or another & that's with a 21' resonator. Sorry to say, if the SR*S is totally unacceptable now. I suspect the 22" resonator would only make it slightly more tolerable. Perhaps your best solution is to go OEM ASAP & sell the SR*S intact as used. You'd recoup most of the SR*S cost & I'm sure there's others that would be satisfied with it.

Last edited by BobPezz; 04-11-2012 at 04:25 AM.

Quick Reply: SRS catback review