5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about Factory Installed Anti-theft/auto start.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question about Factory Installed Anti-theft/auto start.

Hi guys, very nice to be here. I've owned Nissans now for about 20 years. Currently I have a 2008 Pathfinder and a 2002 Maxima GLE. My question is regarding the factory installed anti-theft/auto start device on the 2002 Maxima. It's acting very wacky all of the sudden. Don't know what I did or why it's happening.
This "alarm" works with the factory installed key fob. It's supposed to.. open all doors with the push of a button, (opens driver's door with one push and all doors with 2 presses on the fob. It will lower windows with the push and brief hold of the unlock button and with 4 consecutive presses on the lock button, it will automatically start the car for me...
Lately it's been unlocking the driver's door only no matter how many times I press it and now suddenly, if the windows are down and one shuts off the car, the windows will go up automatically by themselves... I have nearly decapitated several mechanics because of this... seriously, it's pretty dangerous...it has never done that before... I took it to one dealer and was told it would cost me a LOT of money to have the whole thing looked at and reprogramed, etc.. I'm sure there's an easier way I just can't find any instructions anywhere on how to fix this... any help would be grand.
Thank you all in advance. It's great to be here.

Last edited by rxloren; 05-07-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: forgot to state which car had the problem, lol, sorry.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:18 AM

I have never heard of an auto start option on the 5th gen Nissans. After market units tap into the Nissan systems and some use the door lock signals as inputs. Find the control unit and disconnect the power to it. However, doing this may disable the car, it depends on the unit.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:47 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Dennis thank you for the response.. the autostart came with the car pre-installed, new from dealer. You press the fob "lock" button 4 times, the car beeps each time then starts all by itself. That still works fine as well as the lock doors (activate) feature, locks all doors... it's ONLY the unlock.. I press once, the driver's door unlocks and press a second time, nothing happens.. I hear the switch inside the car attempt to do something (makes a noise) but nothing happens.. then there's the window guillotine thing that happens once you turn off the car, the wwindows close by themselves with no input... the alarm doesn't even have to be activated.. happens like 4 seconds after just turning the car off. Pretty scary... Thanks again.. any further help would be great
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM

The feature is an after market product that evidently was installed by the dealer even though you may not have requested it. It is not a Nissan product. You first need to find out the brand and model of the unit.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I do believe you may be right... but it does reference it in the owner's manual.. Specific instructions on the auto-start feature are detailed in my owner's manual.. but no mention on troubleshooting for my problem.. Yeah it does seem I may have to visit the dealer near me or better yet, the one I bought it from 10 years ago, lol... Dennis, thanks again..
Is there anyone else that may have heard of this issue and could help me reprogram the thing? lol... again, much obiged.