5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Alternator Wire Harness Connector?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Alternator Wire Harness Connector?

Heh, I made a stupid mistake the other day while taking my alternator off my engine. There's nothing worse than hearing that snapping sound.

Here is an alternator picture for reference:

http://www.rareelectrical.com/popup....ge/3721_2_.jpg

See the female black plastic wiring harness connector in there? When I was trying to disconnect the harness from it I broke the female connector on the alternator itself. The two silver pins are still in tact but that entire black part came out with the wire harness.

My background is actually more in electronics than mechanical so this is an easy fix for me.. but I broke a component I have no idea where I would find a replacement for. Does anyone have any advice on where I could find the replacement piece? I really don't want to replace the entire alternator over one stupid broken connector.. especially after it was working fine prior to me being an idiot.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM

you are gonna have to replace the whole alternator unless you have a spare laying around or can find one at a junkyard for cheap. but replacing the alternator with a reman would be your most easiest route cause you have them fix it.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:11 PM

Well.. screw that. I can't find an alternator cheaper than $75 and I'm not paying $75 to fix a broken 2 pin connector. I think I'll just buy a generic male and female 2 pin connector from radio shack and cut the line that would go into the alternator and replace it with a generic one.

As far as I can tell the connectors aren't anything special are there? Waterproof at most I'm guessing.. anyone know?
Old 05-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by andrewmac
Well.. screw that. I can't find an alternator cheaper than $75 and I'm not paying $75 to fix a broken 2 pin connector. I think I'll just buy a generic male and female 2 pin connector from radio shack and cut the line that would go into the alternator and replace it with a generic one.

As far as I can tell the connectors aren't anything special are there? Waterproof at most I'm guessing.. anyone know?
transpo electronics makes a repair plug for that regulator plug
Old 05-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by andrewmac

If the connector is waterproof, it will have an o-ring around the plastic plug on the wire harness and the wires going into the plug will have rubber seals.

Look at just about any connector under the hood.