5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Warpspeed Y Sound

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:59 PM

Warpspeed Y Sound

Well first off i spent over 6 hours working to get the stock Y and cat out and putting on the new one. I bought a warpspeed y and a testpipe. When i installed it the sound was very loud and raspy. Too loud to be exact to a stock cat-back.

Then i placed the stock cat back on with the warpspeed y and it sounded alittle less louder but still raspy. Can it be the flex section? I went under the car and the noise seems to come from the main cat to the flex section. It doesn't sound good at all, its like metal clattering, not a low deep rumble like my old 93 with a y pipe and a highflow cat.

Anyone else having this issue? otherwise im going to put the stock system back on and sell the warpspeed.
Thanks
Old 06-14-2012, 09:18 PM

Originally Posted by coolsun
Well first off i spent over 6 hours working to get the stock Y and cat out and putting on the new one. I bought a warpspeed y and a testpipe. When i installed it the sound was very loud and raspy. Too loud to be exact to a stock cat-back.

Then i placed the stock cat back on with the warpspeed y and it sounded alittle less louder but still raspy. Can it be the flex section? I went under the car and the noise seems to come from the main cat to the flex section. It doesn't sound good at all, its like metal clattering, not a low deep rumble like my old 93 with a y pipe and a highflow cat.

Anyone else having this issue? otherwise im going to put the stock system back on and sell the warpspeed.
Thanks
sound clip?also bought warpspeed y pipe still didnt install mine yet...get resonated test pipe ive heard it will help with the rasp
Old 06-15-2012, 02:37 AM

I just installed my warpspeed y-pipe along with a 2.25 test pipe, and 2.5 SRS catback w/silencer and it sounded GREAT! It was a very smooth and low grumble. Not ricey at all! On full throttle, it sounded perfect. Seriously. Like listening to a sound system with kick *** bass. It's not annoyingly loud like MOST cars with aftermarket exhaust. I'll try and post up a sound clip this weekend for you guys.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:45 AM

i know exactly what rasp he is referring to with the OEM catback but im not sure what sound the OP is going for but idk why did you expect a "stock" type sound with changing out the y-pipe?? shouldve done your research before, no matter what you do it will be louder so if thats what you are trying to run away from just save yourself the hassle and just sell the y-pipe now lol...

this may not be the exact sound you get but similar with the stock catback
Old 06-15-2012, 03:47 AM

when my fiance drives i hardly hear the car at all but in cabin is just that much louder
Old 06-15-2012, 04:44 AM

oan solution: want stock sound?... stay stock lmao... but naw seriously to the OP... you will never have the "stock" sound with Y-pipe nor headers, you can mock up a setup to come somewhat close but it will always be louder than stock... i find the "smoother" sound to be equal length headers (hopefully this doesnt turn into a header thread) and a cattman catback, the rasp will be gone but it would still be louder... or see if you can find a frankencar muffler, a lot more restrictive but you will get rid of the rasp, but it wont be completely like stock...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:49 AM

didnt know people still bought y pipes.....
Old 06-15-2012, 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by 2000_Maxima_SE
I just installed my warpspeed y-pipe along with a 2.25 test pipe, and 2.5 SRS catback w/silencer and it sounded GREAT! It was a very smooth and low grumble. Not ricey at all! On full throttle, it sounded perfect. Seriously. Like listening to a sound system with kick *** bass. It's not annoyingly loud like MOST cars with aftermarket exhaust. I'll try and post up a sound clip this weekend for you guys.
:metalmax:
Old 06-15-2012, 07:47 AM
dot dot dot ...

Holy!

Add lots of resonators.

Name:  Undercar-ex.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  89.6 KB

This got rid of my rasp when I was 2.5" and testpipe'd:

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054

Check your flex pipe:

Any particular goals you had in mind?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 06-15-2012 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:31 AM

What have this thread become. Well i dont know if its a problem how my exhaust note comes out of the mid part of the car rather than all at the muffler.
I want is a low rumble and low to no drown exhuast. Thats why i kept the stock catback
The sound is like a leaky manifold rumble
Old 06-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

What have this thread become. Well i dont know if its a problem how my exhaust note comes out of the mid part of the car rather than all at the muffler.
I want is a low rumble and low to no drown exhuast. Thats why i kept the stock catback
The sound is like a leaky manifold rumble
Check your flex section they are a know bad part on warpspeed also check all your gaskets and hardware
Old 06-15-2012, 11:52 AM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus.

Let's control ourselves
Old 06-15-2012, 12:36 PM

SMH... Geeze you guys take your frustration out on call of duty lol
Old 06-15-2012, 02:19 PM

me and datdude20 just finished playing a couple rounds cant wait til this thread is locked up lol
Old 06-15-2012, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17
me and datdude20 just finished playing a couple rounds cant wait til this thread is locked up lol
Old 06-15-2012, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by datdude20
didnt know people still bought y pipes.....
They benefit 3.0's more than the 3.5's, which is why it's next on my mod list.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Here is the video, my camera cant capture all of the raspy but you can here it when i let off.

one more thing when i had the Test pipe in and i rev it high, when it drops back down the car stalls.
http://youtu.be/SC74Hb_3Eog
Old 06-15-2012, 08:09 PM

i always say this and as much as many people may disagree - its because the y pipe is un equal length.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:19 PM
Banned

I caint tell if its rasp or bee in a can pull your cat off and check that flex real good also make sire the pipes are not touching the frame i have seen fitment issues where people have had to pull the exhaust to make it fit look and see if any of the rubber mounts are pulling or streched they should not be
Old 06-15-2012, 08:24 PM

Here is the video, my camera cant capture all of the raspy but you can here it when i let off.

one more thing when i had the Test pipe in and i rev it high, when it drops back down the car stalls.
http://youtu.be/SC74Hb_3Eog
You're complaining about that? Turn up your stereo if it bothers you that much, and make me a killer deal on that Y-pipe including shipping, too.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by joesae01max
i always say this and as much as many people may disagree - its because the y pipe is un equal length.
maybe

Originally Posted by cjandura
I caint tell if its rasp or bee in a can pull your cat off and check that flex real good also make sire the pipes are not touching the frame i have seen fitment issues where people have had to pull the exhaust to make it fit look and see if any of the rubber mounts are pulling or streched they should not be
how would i check teh flex, like what i would be looking for? Its new. maybe its that hanger thats making the rattle sound. It rattles during a slow take off

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
You're complaining about that? Turn up your stereo if it bothers you that much, and make me a killer deal on that Y-pipe including shipping, too.
its not like i want a super stock sound, its that the sound of the exhaust note comes from the mid section of the car, not really at the muffler.

Its like i said a leaky manifold. but i doubt it, cause the car has low 58k miles/no rust and its not like my 3rd gen common stud problem.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:56 PM

maybe

how would i check teh flex, like what i would be looking for? Its new. maybe its that hanger thats making the rattle sound. It rattles during a slow take off

its not like i want a super stock sound, its that the sound of the exhaust note comes from the mid section of the car, not really at the muffler.

Its like i said a leaky manifold. but i doubt it, cause the car has low 58k miles/no rust and its not like my 3rd gen common stud problem.
Could be a bad flex section. It happens.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:23 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Sounds rough to me. Makes me think you might have an exhaust leak where the axle back bolts to the C-pipe. Common place to split.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Sounds rough to me. Makes me think you might have an exhaust leak where the axle back bolts to the C-pipe. Common place to split.
wheres the C pipe? lol
Old 06-15-2012, 10:31 PM

wheres the C pipe? lol
Right by the u pipe lol. Jk.. But seriously, check, while the car is off, if u can make the exhaust touch the crossbar right by the cat. That could be where some rattle is coming from, although the video didnt really seem terrible to me. Remove it or get some replacement hangers. Those rubber things suck lol.
Old 06-15-2012, 11:20 PM

Yup, there is no fix. If you drive it at all, your car will blow up and you will die. Therefore, I can take the Y pipe off your hands for free, and i'll even pay shipping. It's the only option. Would you like my PO box number?

Old 06-16-2012, 08:38 AM

I agree, but as far as the Rasp goes, it doesn't matter at all... I have Obx equal length headers n that Bish Rasp with stock catback lol
Old 06-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Get Off My Lawn

wheres the C pipe? lol
B-pipe: section after the cat which typically has a resonator.

C-pipe: section after the B-pipe that snakes around and over the back axle.

Axle back: section after the c-pipe that goes from the axle back to the muffler.

Incorrect? Never could remember all the terms. So what is it called?
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 PM
Please. Call me John. I insist

I believe you can use a bit of Seafoam through the booster hose to see where smoke is leaking from underneath the car.

So, Seafoam it while the car is lifted on jackstands and inspect entire suspected area for white smoke. That should make finding the leak 10x easier. Good luck and, hell why not make a video of it just for ****s and giggles?
Old 06-16-2012, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
B-pipe: section after the cat which typically has a resonator.

C-pipe: section after the B-pipe that snakes around and over the back axle.

Axle back: section after the c-pipe that goes from the axle back to the muffler.

Incorrect? Never could remember all the terms. So what is it called?
its a D pipe lol
Old 06-16-2012, 08:41 PM
Banned

its a D pipe lol
All you need is a O or P pipe to fix the drone it works everytime exhaust so quiet you wont even hear it at wot
Old 06-16-2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ColombianMax
I believe you can use a bit of Seafoam through the booster hose to see where smoke is leaking from underneath the car.

So, Seafoam it while the car is lifted on jackstands and inspect entire suspected area for white smoke. That should make finding the leak 10x easier. Good luck and, hell why not make a video of it just for ****s and giggles?
yeah im going to try to seafoam it, i did it right before i installed the new y cause i wanted to clean the stock cat. Maybe i will do it tm.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:34 AM

I agree, but as far as the Rasp goes, it doesn't matter at all... I have Obx equal length headers n that Bish Rasp with stock catback lol

True - but your rasp is a crisper more smooth sound (what ever that means lol) that might go away or lessen with a nice catback. His is more rough cause of the y-pipe - thats what i believe anyway

To me the sound difference is night and day with shorty headers or stock manifold/un equal length Y compared to an OBX equal or cattman equal length set.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
dot dot dot ...

3" test pipe and cat back + headers = no rasp.

But if you must use 2.5" ..

http://www.moroso.com/catalog/catego...?catcode=35054
Old 06-19-2012, 07:52 PM

So i tackled the stock y pip back in, I had checked the warpspeed for any leaks or bad flex section. its neither any of those. I even put the test pipe back on. The exhaust not rumble comes from the cat meeting the y pipe. Really strange, now i think that the stock B pipe might be too small for all that extra exhaust flow. Now time to save up for a catback and see if it will all go well.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:28 PM

what you need is a 2.5" cat and a 2.5" cat back with a resonator to keep things low n rumbly. the not so nice tone is caused by the y pipe (bein unequal) and the rasp and crackle is caused because of the gasses flowing from 2.5" to smaller stock piping and because you have/had a test pipe. you mentioned the stock cat helped... this is what i'm talking about.

here's a vid of my exhaust setup. at the time i had a bad knock sensor and 1 (or 2) bad o2's. ran rich so i got a little more pop back than normal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0y98h5PJbA

exhaust piping is a lot like piping in an organ/woodwind/brass instrument. length and widths affect the sound, the wider it is the deeper the sound is. i heard a WS y pipe > res'd cat delete > 3" res'd cat back > into a HUGE 24" oval style muffler on a vq30de-k and at idle it was almost as quiet as stock thanks to the bigger than stock muffler. part throttle revving was still sounding like just a cat back (in volume, not tone-wise) and only when he gave me some WOT revs it finally sounded loud... but not obnoxious.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:39 PM

True - but your rasp is a crisper more smooth sound (what ever that means lol) that might go away or lessen with a nice catback. His is more rough cause of the y-pipe - thats what i believe anyway

To me the sound difference is night and day with shorty headers or stock manifold/un equal length Y compared to an OBX equal or cattman equal length set.
agreed... nailed it to the T

Last edited by Grand_hustle17; 06-19-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91
what you need is a 2.5" cat and a 2.5" cat back with a resonator to keep things low n rumbly. the not so nice tone is caused by the y pipe (bein unequal) and the rasp and crackle is caused because of the gasses flowing from 2.5" to smaller stock piping and because you have/had a test pipe. you mentioned the stock cat helped... this is what i'm talking about.

here's a vid of my exhaust setup. at the time i had a bad knock sensor and 1 (or 2) bad o2's. ran rich so i got a little more pop back than normal.

exhaust piping is a lot like piping in an organ/woodwind/brass instrument. length and widths affect the sound, the wider it is the deeper the sound is. i heard a WS y pipe > res'd cat delete > 3" res'd cat back > into a HUGE 24" oval style muffler on a vq30de-k and at idle it was almost as quiet as stock thanks to the bigger than stock muffler. part throttle revving was still sounding like just a cat back (in volume, not tone-wise) and only when he gave me some WOT revs it finally sounded loud... but not obnoxious.
sounds right, time to wait for that catback
Old 06-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by carsnwomen91

here is the thing, he complained about being loud also, while i do agree that a catback will take away the rasp, he will still have a rough louder than stock sound because of the Y-pipe vs more mellow exhaust note from equal length headers... but reguardless of his decision it will be louder than stock.... unless stock lol
Old 06-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Banned

Lot of company's have come and gone but warp speeds still here ....weird

Quick Reply: Warpspeed Y Sound