5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cruise Contol Not Working - Set Light Blinks

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 AM

Cruise Contol Not Working - Set Light Blinks

This is on my I30, but being that it's essentially a 5G I thought someone may have a solution to this in their Maxima. Anyway, yesterday I was using my cruise control with no problems whatsoever for >40 miles. However, when I was on my way to my friend's house in the evening, it wouldn't engage. When I press the "On" button on the steering wheel, the Cruise light will come on, but nothing happens when I pressed Set. When I got off the highway, I pulled into a parking lot, shut the car off, and then tried again when I was going. But still nothing. I noticed that after a few seconds to like half a minute, the Set light will continuously blink until I turn the Cruise Control off. Any ideas what this could be? I haven't searches the service manual yet, so could there be a solution in there? I like using my Cruise Control to keep a constant speed on the highways, and I really hope it wouldn't be expensive or difficult fix. Thanks for any help with this!
Old 07-04-2012, 07:39 AM

Check to see that your brake lights are working. If one of them is out the cruise won't work
Old 07-04-2012, 07:43 AM

I've have experienced this issue but first thing id do is check under the hood and make sure the all the cruise control lines are properly connected and aren't damaged, then I'd search the org for similar issues and see what guys have checked. good luck
Old 07-04-2012, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Super Shadow
Check to see that your brake lights are working. If one of them is out the cruise won't work
I'm curious if that is it. I actually had just bought a cover from the dealer to take out my third brake light since my spoiler has one built in, and I had my third brake light in the whole way home. But in the instructions it says to just tape down the old connector, and the spoiler is connected to prewiring in the trunk. Is there supposed to be something else to do when taking out the third brake light?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:05 AM

What kind of lights are in the spoiler? If they are leds, that's your problem. Leds use less current and less current says a bulb is burned out. When you put leds in our cars, you have to add resistors into the circuit or you will have cruise control problems.

As far as the wire connector for the parcel shelf light goes, taping it out of the way is all you need to do.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
What kind of lights are in the spoiler? If they are leds, that's your problem. Leds use less current and less current says a bulb is burned out. When you put leds in our cars, you have to add resistors into the circuit or you will have cruise control problems.

As far as the wire connector for the parcel shelf light goes, taping it out of the way is all you need to do.
I actually have all LED taillights, but I never had a problem until I just took out the OEM third brake light. The spoiler has LEDs, and it is an OEM kit. Maybe I'll have to reread the directions when I get home, maybe they mention a step that I didn't notice. Will also reconnect the third brake light to see if that changes anything.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMike93
I actually have all LED taillights, but I never had a problem until I just took out the OEM third brake light. The spoiler has LEDs, and it is an OEM kit. Maybe I'll have to reread the directions when I get home, maybe they mention a step that I didn't notice. Will also reconnect the third brake light to see if that changes anything.
By reconnecting the parcel shelf light bulb, you will be causing more electrical current to be used, which is the same thing as adding a resistor.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
By reconnecting the parcel shelf light bulb, you will be causing more electrical current to be used, which is the same thing as adding a resistor.
What I'm thinking I'll do is when I get home, I'll reconnect my third brake light, and take a quick drive to see if that fixes it. If all is well during that, then I guess I have to wire a resistor into the spoiler's brake light. Otherwise, I don't wanna think of what I'll have to do.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:25 PM

Ended up being exactly what you described. Plugged the interior third brake light back in and it worked fine. Had to do some trial and error, though to keep everything good. Just putting a resistor on the spoiler wire wasn't enough; had to also wire in a single bulb with a resistor attached to plug into the original third brake light plug, then everything worked out fine. Guess having all LED taillights (my I30 has four red sections that all light up when you're on the brakes). Glad it wasn't something expensive like some of the stories I read online last night.