5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

No free play on the clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012, 01:33 PM

No free play on the clutch

I just had slave cylinder and hoses replaced. Now the clutch pedal is really stiff and engages at the top of the travel and there is no free play left at all. The clutch pedal rests about inch higher than the brake pedal and all the engagement seems to be happening in the top inch of the pedal travel. I am not sure what could have gone wrong. Master was not touched during this repair but might have ran out of all the fluid during the swapping of slave cylinder and hoses. It was bled using two person method. The pedal is not soggy at all but rather lot stiffer than it was before. The problem is that engagement point is very high.

Any idea as to what could be the culprit? I am taking back to the mechanic on Monday. He suggested I drive for a while to see if it adjusts itself but I do not see how that would work.

I searched and did not find any topic with zero free play. On the contrary, there are bunch of people who were complaining about too much free play. There are also contradiction opinions on whether the master cylinder rod should be adjusted or not.

Please help!
Old 07-14-2012, 02:46 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Old 07-14-2012, 05:11 PM

Thank you! But how do I make sure there is a free play at the clutch fork? I am suspecting that right now the clutch fork seems to be under constant pressure i.e. it is not releasing completely. The slave cylinder was purchased from NAPA and I am not wondering if the replacement slave cylinder push rod is longer than the original :-( No pedal adjustment would correct that, right??
Old 07-16-2012, 08:04 AM

I did not drive the car on Sunday. Monday morning I gather the 12mm wrench and pliers to adjust the freeplay at the pedal. When I moved the car in to garage, I noticed that the clutch had correct free play and pedal was not stiff to push. There was no loss of fluid either. I had no idea how it could have fixed itself.

I drove to the shop as I have to get the leaky axle seal replaced. By the time I reached the shop (about 5 miles of back roads and few stop signs), the there was no free play and the clutch pedal was hard to push.

I am concerned about the inconsistency of the pedal feel. Anyway, the mechanic adjusted the master cylinder rod at the pedal to give me free play. I will watch how it behaves for next couple of days. I wonder if it needs to be bleed again.