Maxima Forums

Maxima Forums (https://maxima.org/forums/)
-   5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003-7/)
-   -   2002 - SE Stock head unit (non bose) audio fading in/out - TAPE ERR as well (https://maxima.org/forums/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/654425-2002-se-stock-head-unit-non-bose-audio-fading-out-tape-err-well.html)

Saadkhan07 08-22-2012 08:52 PM

2002 - SE Stock head unit (non bose) audio fading in/out - TAPE ERR as well

Title says it all,

I got the stock none bose setup, and 1. my audio will fade in/out sometimes, and also my casette player is turning into sh!t. It will play the cassette adapter, switch to the other side, and display TAPE ERR and get stuck, and it comes out a bit later.

My audio is also sounding like crap with the tape. I just ordered a tape head cleaner, so i am hoping that fixes it.

Any clues ? someone said it could be the stock amp in the car going out

T_Behr904 08-22-2012 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Saadkhan07 (Post 8585088)
Title says it all,

I got the stock none bose setup, and 1. my audio will fade in/out sometimes, and also my casette player is turning into sh!t. It will play the cassette adapter, switch to the other side, and display TAPE ERR and get stuck, and it comes out a bit later.

My audio is also sounding like crap with the tape. I just ordered a tape head cleaner, so i am hoping that fixes it.

Any clues ? someone said it could be the stock amp in the car going out

Rip that garbage out and get you a good aftermarket HU.

Saadkhan07 08-22-2012 09:02 PM

re

Originally Posted by T_Behr904 (Post 8585091)
Rip that garbage out and get you a good aftermarket HU.

i want to...but i heard if you do change it, then the steering wheel controls get disabled, and so does the MPG/DTE computer.

this true ?

ranmas2004 08-22-2012 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Saadkhan07 (Post 8585094)
i want to...but i heard if you do change it, then the steering wheel controls get disabled, and so does the MPG/DTE computer.

this true ?

They have special adaptors that you can buy to keep steering wheel controls. Get a new HU...factory stuff is trash.....

ViRTualTeRRoRisT 08-22-2012 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Saadkhan07 (Post 8585094)

this true ?

Yeah, that's the unfortunate truth. I swapped mine with a Pioneer and I personally love it, but the steering controls woulda completed the system all together.

ETA:

Originally Posted by ranmas2004 (Post 8585111)
They have special adaptors that you can buy to keep steering wheel controls. Get a new HU...factory stuff is trash.....

This I did not know. Would you mind pointing the audience in the right direction?

djfrestyl 08-24-2012 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by ViRTualTeRRoRisT (Post 8585115)
Yeah, that's the unfortunate truth. I swapped mine with a Pioneer and I personally love it, but the steering controls woulda completed the system all together.

ETA:

This I did not know. Would you mind pointing the audience in the right direction?

It's called the Access ASWC. All you need to keep your factory steering wheel controls (as long as the HU you pick is compatible)

Please read the "Bose radio replacement" thread in the audio section.

A LOT of good info in there.

cmd26 08-24-2012 11:43 PM

If you replace your factory hu with an aftermarket the mpg/dte still work, you do lose the trip and volume controls.

djfrestyl 08-25-2012 06:30 AM

WRONG.

Trip controls will work, you have to ground the brown/yellow wire in the secondary harness (applies to 02+ maximas only)

Steering wheel controls can work, you just need the Axxess ASWC interface module.

cmd26 08-25-2012 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl (Post 8587356)
WRONG.

Trip controls will work, you have to ground the brown/yellow wire in the secondary harness (applies to 02+ maximas only)

Steering wheel controls can work, you just need the Axxess ASWC interface module.

Im not wrong I have installed my radio without grounding the brown/yellow wire or a axess aswc interface module I have no trip or volume control but mpg and dte still work.

djfrestyl 08-27-2012 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by cmd26 (Post 8587460)
Im not wrong I have installed my radio without grounding the brown/yellow wire or a axess aswc interface module I have no trip or volume control but mpg and dte still work.

Sir, you do realize that the REASON your trip controls don't work is because you have not yet grounded that brown wire?

njmaxseltd 08-27-2012 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Saadkhan07 (Post 8585088)
It will play the cassette adapter, switch to the other side, and display TAPE ERR and get stuck, and it comes out a bit later.

Isn't this a 1980's issue? I think I used a cassette adapter in my Prelude...