5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan Heading Toward to Build to Order System

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2002, 07:56 AM

Nissan Heading Toward to Build to Order System

http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20020108S0005

To summarize, who don't want to read the whole techie scoop:

"The Japanese manufacturer's North American unit this spring will begin rolling out technology that will let consumers customize vehicles over the Web and automatically find the closest match among area dealer inventory." (This isn't much of a biggie....but there is more)

"Nissan's customization technology, the Integrated Customer Ordering Network (ICON), will at first be limited to the Altima, Frontier and Xterra models made in Nissan's Smyrna, Tenn., plant. ICON will then be extended to Nissan's $1 billion plant now under construction in Canton, Miss., as well as to production facilities in Japan and Mexico, said Tom Ciesielski, director of the ICON program office."

"Once rolled out completely--a process that will take several years, -ICON will let a consumer use the Web to order any Nissan or Infiniti model and have it built within six days after needed parts are delivered."

Sounds good to me
Old 01-09-2002, 07:59 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Nissan Heading Toward to Build to Order System

Sweet! I hope this also calls for the end of the "If you want this feature then you must get this this and that as well" rule.

Originally posted by slider71
http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20020108S0005

To summarize, who don't want to read the whole techie scoop:

"The Japanese manufacturer's North American unit this spring will begin rolling out technology that will let consumers customize vehicles over the Web and automatically find the closest match among area dealer inventory." (This isn't much of a biggie....but there is more)

"Nissan's customization technology, the Integrated Customer Ordering Network (ICON), will at first be limited to the Altima, Frontier and Xterra models made in Nissan's Smyrna, Tenn., plant. ICON will then be extended to Nissan's $1 billion plant now under construction in Canton, Miss., as well as to production facilities in Japan and Mexico, said Tom Ciesielski, director of the ICON program office."

"Once rolled out completely--a process that will take several years, -ICON will let a consumer use the Web to order any Nissan or Infiniti model and have it built within six days after needed parts are delivered."

Sounds good to me
Old 01-09-2002, 08:24 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Re: Re: Nissan Heading Toward to Build to Order System

Originally posted by soundmike
Sweet! I hope this also calls for the end of the "If you want this feature then you must get this this and that as well" rule.
I hate that too.
Old 01-09-2002, 11:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Nissan Heading Toward to Build to Order System

Thanks for the info...

That's Sweet!!

I hope the system is up and running by the time I'm ready to order my next Maxima ( Hmmm, maybe 5 years ).

Yeah, and like soundmike said, no stupid package requirements.