5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y Pipe Emissions Test Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Y Pipe Emissions Test Question

Hey guys,

So I've got a 2000 SE with 155k which i just equipped with an SRS 2.5" catback exhaust as well as an Injen CAI, and my mechanic has noticed that the remaining exhaust system parts around my flexpipe are rotting and will most likely fail soon. He recommended I purchase a Y Pipe.

My questions are:

-Which is a good brand/price? Should I consider an OEM replacement or just continue with the aftermarket performance mods?

-Since my max is fed spec and I'd be eliminating both precats, will I still be able to pass emissions tests with only the single catalytic converter remaining? Should I also purchase something extra such as a magnaflow heavy duty cat to ensure that I pass?

Any advice would be appreciated, I don't know much about Y pipes
Old 11-09-2012, 11:59 AM

pre-cats only work when the car is cold before the main cat warms up. I just passed an emissions test with only the main cat so I can assure you 100% you will pass but obviously would not pass a visual inspection if they do that in your area.

If you have the money Cattman performance is making a header/y-pipe combo recently and it is about the best money can buy. Look for the thread in the 5th gen section, it usually hovers near the top as most want it but just cannot afford it. I love my Cattman Y on my 4th gen. Still has the original flex section too
Old 11-09-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by ShocknAwe
pre-cats only work when the car is cold before the main cat warms up. I just passed an emissions test with only the main cat so I can assure you 100% you will pass but obviously would not pass a visual inspection if they do that in your area.

If you have the money Cattman performance is making a header/y-pipe combo recently and it is about the best money can buy. Look for the thread in the 5th gen section, it usually hovers near the top as most want it but just cannot afford it. I love my Cattman Y on my 4th gen. Still has the original flex section too
Thank you for your reply, I'm not sure if they do visual inspections in Ottawa, Canada. I'll have to figure that out.

I think I'd like to go with a cheaper brand right now as I'm already feeling pretty irresponsible for dumping so much of my money into my max in such a short time hahah. And its basically just to replace a failing OEM part, not really to upgrade to the best available. Thanks for the suggestion though man!

Is Warpspeed any good?
Old 11-09-2012, 01:22 PM

Get a Thunderbolt brand high flow bullet style cat. Its stainless steel and has the same brick inside as higher cost high flow cats but cheaper, can be had for about $40. In fact, most cats use the same brick and you just pay for the name. When you go to do the test just make sure the car is warm and you will pass
Old 11-09-2012, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by viking89
exhaust system parts around my flexpipe are rotting
If you want to save yourself money, you can have the flex section replaced with a new one. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you have to spend.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

so is the exhaust leaking or its just rusty but still sound?

you can always find a good used one to save money
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
If you want to save yourself money, you can have the flex section replaced with a new one. It all depends on what you want to do and how much you have to spend.
This but if you want more Power do a Upgrade....
Old 11-09-2012, 09:24 PM

What kind of Inspections they do in Canada....
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by T_Behr904
This, just weld in a new flex pipe and rock on, unless you want moar powah, then I'd just get a new Y pipe and good O2 non-foulers.

If you really want you can get headers but that's a bigger job to do and about twice the cost.

Yes they are SUPPOSED to do a visual inspection but most dont. Also, as of 2013 (less than 2 months away) the rumour on the street is there is NO MORE SNIFFER test in Ontario, just a computer check and visual check (if they bother).
Old 11-09-2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
This, just weld in a new flex pipe and rock on, unless you want moar powah, then I'd just get a new Y pipe and good O2 non-foulers.

If you really want you can get headers but that's a bigger job to do and about twice the cost.

Yes they are SUPPOSED to do a visual inspection but most dont. Also, as of 2013 (less than 2 months away) the rumour on the street is there is NO MORE SNIFFER test in Ontario, just a computer check and visual check (if they bother).
I hope that happens in Cali. also, was waitng for one of the Canada guys to come in...
Old 11-09-2012, 10:42 PM

i am trying to pass inspection on my maxima and it has a precat deleted cause of the a/f exhaust but i have a code something catylitci defiecency forget the code name but how am i gonna pass with that code? is there a way i can get rid of it cause i been erasing it almost everyday it keep coming back on it can also be the o2 sensor i hear. worse come to worst ima jsut slap a catyltic converter on sad
Old 11-10-2012, 08:53 AM

You need non-foulers or a pre-cat.

Cheap straight non-foulers don't always work, get the curved ones and install them facing reverse flow of hte exhaust.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
i am trying to pass inspection on my maxima and it has a precat deleted cause of the a/f exhaust but i have a code something catylitci defiecency forget the code name but how am i gonna pass with that code? is there a way i can get rid of it cause i been erasing it almost everyday it keep coming back on it can also be the o2 sensor i hear. worse come to worst ima jsut slap a catyltic converter on sad
your cat is not working right and the o2 after the cat rear it and will keep sending the code. A new cat is like $40 and an exhaust shop will charge about $50 to put it on just get a new one.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM

your cat is not working right and the o2 after the cat rear it and will keep sending the code. A new cat is like $40 and an exhaust shop will charge about $50 to put it on just get a new one.
yea but i dont have a pre cat i think its just a straight pipe and i dont want to put a cat on cause i dont want to lose power but i may have 2
Old 11-10-2012, 12:50 PM

He said pretty clearly that he has deleted the PRE-cats. The code he is probably getting is probably a P0420/P0430 which is for the PREcats.

You just need non-foulers, as I already said. You do not need a cat.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
He said pretty clearly that he has deleted the PRE-cats. The code he is probably getting is probably a P0420/P0430 which is for the PREcats.

You just need non-foulers, as I already said. You do not need a cat.
o thanks alot i didnt know that post was directed towards me.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:31 PM

i searched on ebay for a quick idea of what non-foulers were but i found these nut bolt looking things thats suppositely for a spark plug? is that the correct item?
Old 11-11-2012, 11:12 AM

i found out what the non fouler thing is so no need to answer that silly question ^ so i have 4 oxygen sensors 2 heated and 2 non heated suppositely it seems like i only have to put non fouler on 1 of them? or do i have to for 2 NOTE: i have dual exhaust it was custom built.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:51 PM

Sorry for my slow response time guys, I was away for a few days.

So I cant pass inspection without the precats and I need defoulers? I'm not sure what those are

This sounds like a pretty sketchy type of deal and I'm not sure if I should go through with it not being able to guaranteed pass emissions.

I wanna spend about 200-300$ and I'd like the added power of an aftermarket(suggestion of brands please)y pipe but if I have to buy a bunch of extra parts to make it work and be passable is it too much of a hassle? How much does the OEM replacement cost

Thanks guys
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by viking89
Sorry for my slow response time guys, I was away for a few days.

So I cant pass inspection without the precats and I need defoulers? I'm not sure what those are

This sounds like a pretty sketchy type of deal and I'm not sure if I should go through with it not being able to guaranteed pass emissions.

I wanna spend about 200-300$ and I'd like the added power of an aftermarket(suggestion of brands please)y pipe but if I have to buy a bunch of extra parts to make it work and be passable is it too much of a hassle? How much does the OEM replacement cost

Thanks guys
non foulers are only 5 bucks but vibrant also makes theres for like 20 and u can get o2 sims i did a lot of research in the pass few days ima go buy non foulers at autozone or pepboys tommorow or soon
Old 11-12-2012, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MaxFiyah
non foulers are only 5 bucks but vibrant also makes theres for like 20 and u can get o2 sims i did a lot of research in the pass few days ima go buy non foulers at autozone or pepboys tommorow or soon
So any help on the brand guys?

So far the only manufacturers I know of for bolt-ons are Warpspeed, Catman and Stillen.

I'm thinking of going with Warpspeed since they're relatively cheap (225$). Does anyone have any experience or opinions on these?
Old 11-12-2012, 07:42 PM

everyone says cattman is the best but i think warpspeed is fine if u wanna save money
Old 11-13-2012, 04:33 AM

I've had a warpspeed Y on my car for about 5 yrs now and it's still holding up, but then again i'm not in the rust belt.