5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Seat moves in opposite direction

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:01 AM

Seat moves in opposite direction

Did a quick search without much luck, but I'm sure my car can't be the only one that does this or has ever done it before.

Anyways, my power driver's seat moves in the opposite direction it is pressed. If I try to move it forward, it goes backwards, if I try to move it backwards it goes forward. However, if I try to raise it, it will raise, if I try to drop it down, it will drop, and the recline works as it should as well.

It's a 2002 Maxima SE 6-Speed with leather seats added, and the seats also don't move at all unless the ignition is in the ON position, which I also find a bit odd. I haven't had a chance to run through all the wiring, but something tells me the previous owner may have crossed some wiring or something when he installed these seats.

Anyone else had this problem or a similar problem and know how to fix it or anyone have any suggestions on how I might remedy this? It's not a huge deal, but it is quite annoying.

-Nathan
Old 12-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Did a quick search without much luck, but I'm sure my car can't be the only one that does this or has ever done it before.

Anyways, my power driver's seat moves in the opposite direction it is pressed. If I try to move it forward, it goes backwards, if I try to move it backwards it goes forward. However, if I try to raise it, it will raise, if I try to drop it down, it will drop, and the recline works as it should as well.

It's a 2002 Maxima SE 6-Speed with leather seats added, and the seats also don't move at all unless the ignition is in the ON position, which I also find a bit odd. I haven't had a chance to run through all the wiring, but something tells me the previous owner may have crossed some wiring or something when he installed these seats.

Anyone else had this problem or a similar problem and know how to fix it or anyone have any suggestions on how I might remedy this? It's not a huge deal, but it is quite annoying.

-Nathan
Sounds like one of the seat motors or the seat switch was wired backwards. I believe there are two motors under the seat... one controls back/forth and the other one controls up/down. There is also a third motor to control seatback tilt, but I'm not sure if that is also under the seat as well. Every car is different and I haven't had a good look under a Maxima seat yet.

A friend of mine had a friend replace her window regulator in her car, and he wired it up backwards. When you press the switch to lower the window, it goes up, and vice versa.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 PM

Hmmm... Yea, I figured that's probably what it was. Did any of the 5.5's come with manual seat adjustment or were they all power? Because I also thought that if it was already prewired for electric seats, then it should have just plugged right in and it could only go one way, and that's possibly why the seats don't move at all with the ignition in any position but ON.

I might have to get off my lazy behind and pull the seat out and look at it.

Thanks Behr.

-Nathan
Old 12-29-2012, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by dfj240
Hmmm... Yea, I figured that's probably what it was. Did any of the 5.5's come with manual seat adjustment or were they all power? Because I also thought that if it was already prewired for electric seats, then it should have just plugged right in and it could only go one way, and that's possibly why the seats don't move at all with the ignition in any position but ON.

I might have to get off my lazy behind and pull the seat out and look at it.

Thanks Behr.

-Nathan
Hmmm... not sure if they were all power or not. I believe the driver's side has been that way for a while, with the passenger side being an option.

Take a look and see what's going on. You might be able to raise the seat up high enough to take a look with a flashlight before removing it.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:44 PM

According to the 2002 FSM, the seat should work with the ignition off. Someone made some modifications.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 PM

Has it always been this way, or did it jsut start happening?

I'm assumign it's always been like this, just want to clarify.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
According to the 2002 FSM, the seat should work with the ignition off. Someone made some modifications.
Come to think of it, my seat works with the ignition off. Almost every car i've driven is this way.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:04 PM

Yea, every other car I've had didn't need the ignition in any particular position for the seat to work, but this one won't do it.

And yea, it has been this way since I got it. The previous owner did NOT take care of this car at all however, I have had to clean up all kinds of hacked work already. This is just the next task on the list. Lol.

Based on the wiring diagram, it should have a Brown wire for the forward movement, and a White wire with a Black stripe for the backward movement. I was able to locate it pretty easily actually, and I'm guessing they are definitely crossed, but the wires going into the motor are NOT Brown or White/Black. They look like Blue and Green/Black (Not sure honestly, because I'm color blind. But I think it's close to those colors.)

The Passenger side works as it should by the way, it's only the driver's side that's acting up.

-Nathan
Old 12-29-2012, 02:36 PM

Well if it works all you need to do is swap wires then
Old 12-30-2012, 03:03 PM

I'm guessing that the brown and white/black stripe ended up getting swapped in the connector that plugs into the switch. The white/black stripe wire (B/W) should be in pin 3 and the brown wire (BR) should be in pin 4. It may be easier to swap the wires in the motor connector, but I don't know. I've never even looked at a seat motor.