5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help w/removing ABS Module

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:39 AM

Help w/removing ABS Module

OK, so after searching high and low about my CELs, I finally figured out that I need to have my ABS console repaired. Easy fix. right? Not exactly. After wanting to kill the engineer who decided to put 6 torx screws facing the wrong direction, I managed to get those out. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how to unhook the large electrical harness on the bottom. Anyone out there know how?

If I can figure it out, I am going to have to remove the whole ABS pump and deal with bleeding brakes later. I really want to avoid that if possible. Please help if you can.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:18 PM

Disregard

I finally went out for one last try and I figured it out.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:51 PM

so you told us you did it, but mayb you should tell us how you did it, and one day somebody like you will read this years later and read up on how to do it and he won't have to kill himself figuring it out. juss saying, sometimes you gotta give a litte back too
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Usually I am on here on a daily basis but I've been stupid busy at work. I did send you a pm back but the harness is weird looking and if you don't know how to take it off its a pain in the ***. It extremely simple once figured out though. On the harness connector there is a nub/tab stick a flat head in there and slide it AWAY from the plug and it breaks the harness free from the module. If it doesn't break free like mine did you'll have to wiggle and jiggle it loose just don't pull any wires in attempting to do so.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by DjHackStyle
so you told us you did it, but mayb you should tell us how you did it, and one day somebody like you will read this years later and read up on how to do it and he won't have to kill himself figuring it out. juss saying, sometimes you gotta give a litte back too
Great idea. My bad.

I'll try to take some photos of the reverse process.

Steps for removing ABS Module:
1) ABS module is located just under brake master cylinder and attached to the ABS pump. To access, remove entire intake/MAF section. 5 bolts that remove with phillips head screwdriver

2) The worst part. There are 6 torx-20 bolts facing towards the wheel well and that are very very hard to access. The top 2 aren't bad, but there is almost no working space for the other 4. I had to use multiple combinations of flex drivers, wrenches, etc to get those out. Probably took me over two hours for this part, but will probably only take 20 minutes in reverse now that I know which combinations work.

Good luck on this part, just know that it IS possible to get those torx out.

3) You're almost done. There are two electrical connections on the bottom of the ABS module. First, unhook the large one by grabbing the pull tab that faces towards the front of the car near the very bottom of the module. Slide towards front of car maybe 2" or so.

Once that is out you can maneuver the module enough to access the smaller connection on very bottom of the module. That one pops off easily with a flathead screwdriver.

And that's it. Sounds easy, right? And it is, but those torx screws are not your friends.