5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

disabling auto headlamp

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2002, 01:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

disabling auto headlamp

Does anyone know how to disable the automatic switch on the headlamps? I just put in HIDs and dont want them turning on, off, on when I turn the lights on.

Also, my new year's resolution is to use my turn signal, and the damn clicking is driving me crazy. Main reason why I never used to use it. Does any one know where the clicker is so I can clip the wires? And whether or not that will disable any other part of the turn signal system?

thanks
Old 01-12-2002, 02:27 PM

this may sound kind of stupid, but take the switch off of auto mode and put it to off. Whenever you want headlights on, cut them on. Promptly cut them off before you get out of car. simple solution to a simple problem.
Old 01-12-2002, 02:31 PM

Re: disabling auto headlamp

Originally posted by JimmyH
Does anyone know how to disable the automatic switch on the headlamps? I just put in HIDs and dont want them turning on, off, on when I turn the lights on.

Also, my new year's resolution is to use my turn signal, and the damn clicking is driving me crazy. Main reason why I never used to use it. Does any one know where the clicker is so I can clip the wires? And whether or not that will disable any other part of the turn signal system?

thanks
Don't cut any wires for the sound for the turn signal. If you can't hear it you might not know its on. Just turn up the music if you don't want to hear it. As 2Maxed-out4u, a simple solution to a simple problem
Old 01-12-2002, 03:29 PM

part of the sound you are hearing is the relay ... if you cut a wire, to get of the sound, most likely your signals would not work.

Just turn up the radio, or don't use it. your choice.
Old 01-12-2002, 06:41 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

DO NOT JUST CUT THE FLASHER WIRES !!!!!
You would loose your turn signals totally.

On our cars the flasher is located on the right side of the fuse box under the driver's side bottom dash (it's black realy-is lookin thing). To get to it unscrew two bolts one on each side of the lower dash and then pull it out from center console->out. You might be able to wrap the flasher with some dynomat or something of that nature to make it quieter or if you are feeling really tricky you can relocate it under the hood somwhere it's just three wires to run it elsewhere.

Max
Old 01-12-2002, 08:05 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

yes...

just wrap it with dynamat, its easy to reach.. my relay was squealing last month, had it replaced.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:08 PM

I sometimes just leave my switch in the "parking light" position then
I can turn on the head lights if I wish. The parking lights will
go off automatically after you shut off the engine and open the door. If it's the middle of the day, you could turn the switch off without the "auto headlights" coming on.
Old 01-12-2002, 10:16 PM

thanks

Ummmm....exactly why you never used the turn sginal? what are you some kind of a retard that can't hear a turn signal...lol, never bothered me before, never, unless its clickin too fast
Old 01-13-2002, 08:08 PM

so it seems the concensus is: I am not going to be able to disable the auto headlamps, and I can only mute the turn signal clicking.

And I am probably the only maxima owner hear who listens to AM talk radio? (If you are ever in Chicago in the early morning, check out Spike on 720, he is the man!)

Oh well.

Well, I have put in HID's (a really deep purple too) chromed the two fat crosses on the grill, and put projector fogs in in the last couple of weeks. So hopefully I can get some pictures up soon.

Jimmy
Old 01-13-2002, 08:24 PM

so it seems the concensus is: I am not going to be able to disable the auto headlamps, and I can only mute the turn signal clicking.

And I am probably the only maxima owner hear who listens to AM talk radio? (If you are ever in Chicago in the early morning, check out Spike on 720, he is the man!)

Oh well.

Well, I have put in HID's (a really deep purple too) chromed the two fat crosses on the grill, and put projector fogs in in the last couple of weeks. So hopefully I can get some pictures up soon.

Jimmy
AM radio, OMG. I only listen to it when theres a big snowstorm or something really bad & I tune it into the news channel.
Old 01-13-2002, 08:59 PM

Originally posted by ispeed
Just turn up the radio
Ya... so that the clicking becomes permanent. Tinnitus blows.
Old 01-13-2002, 11:20 PM

thanks
what kind of HID's did u get?
Old 01-13-2002, 11:26 PM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
AM radio, OMG. I only listen to it when theres a big snowstorm or something really bad & I tune it into the news channel.
I listen to RadioDisney all the jammin hits on AM
Old 01-14-2002, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: disabling auto headlamp

Originally posted by MaximaTrojan

what kind of HID's did u get?
http://store.yahoo.com/speedlights/hidkitwitnew.html
Old 01-14-2002, 06:52 PM

Dude they made the blinkers for a reason, use them. I can't stand when people don't use theirs, its not like you have to listen to them for hours on end, its like a max of 30 seconds, just use them.
Old 01-15-2002, 11:42 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally posted by zman187
Dude they made the blinkers for a reason, use them. I can't stand when people don't use theirs, its not like you have to listen to them for hours on end, its like a max of 30 seconds, just use them.
Could you just find the auto wire in the switch with a logic probe (exp) you turn to auto that means the wire recieves 12v but also if in auto the headlight wire could also see 12v if not you could just cut the auto wire. But the easy way to do it is turn off when not using and at night just turn to auto that's what I do.