5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 Maxima ECM, Scammer Alert On eBay

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 05:20 PM

01 Maxima ECM, Scammer Alert On eBay

Bought an 01 Maxima/i30 ECM (A56-Q79-ZA0) from "MrAutoParts" (also known by Kobi Papo) on eBay, and I guess I picked the wrong seller to buy it from.

Name:  1LiqNBv.png
Views: 7
Size:  215.0 KB

So he listed the item as tested and fully functioning. I get the part in the mail and it looks like it has rust on the outer cover, but whatever. He did list cosmetic damage so I left it at that. When I got the part, I noticed he had put two pieces of tape around the side of the ECM as a "warranty seal", but whatever I didn't touch it. About a month later, I finally scavenge enough cash to bring it to the dealership to have it flashed but NOPE. Apparently the ECM I bought was no good (only powering half of the cylinders according to the stealership). Another $100 out of my pocket for them to tell me the ECM was no good. So I talk to MrAutoParts (Kobi Papo) and set up a refund. I mail the part back and then tells me he can't issue a refund because the seals were broken. I argued this for days because they weren't broken by me, and I don't even remember seeing them broken by the dealership. The unit WAS NOT TAMPERED WITH. So now he has the unit (and my money), blocked my email address, and I wouldn't be surprised if he's going to try to re-sell it. Just recommending this to anyone reading this NOT TO BUY AN ECM FROM THIS MAN. I hope he feels good about himself, scamming a 19 year old low-class college kid working part-time and flat out stealing about two weeks of my income.

Add this to the list of problems why I will never buy another Nissan again.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Ebay has buyers protection and should be able to help you with your money and if you used paypal then you will definatly get your money back.

Also in the condition area in the item specific almost every used part will have the same saying that its been tested and may have cosmetic damage its a standard phrase from ebay that goes in there if the part is used so it probably was never tested.

If you do get your money back try not to buy any used electronic part off of ebay if possible use www.car-part.com they have fully rebuilt ecu on there for that same price that you bought the used one for with lifetime warranty. You can also find some for around $100 bucks on there with warranty.

http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.c...erPage=1&iKey=

Or you can get it rebuilt for around $199

http://circuitboardmedics.com/maxima-ecm-repair/
Old 07-23-2013, 07:32 PM

Its eBay, use their protection services. The buyer is always right when it comes to eBay, just ask any seller that has dealt with it. Personally I don't think its even worth contacting the seller before starting the process, seems like eBay sellers only answer to eBay.

Also, 239 is outrageously overpriced.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Gemner
Its eBay, use their protection services. The buyer is always right when it comes to eBay, just ask any seller that has dealt with it. Personally I don't think its even worth contacting the seller before starting the process, seems like eBay sellers only answer to eBay.

Also, 239 is outrageously overpriced.
file a claim. It's a buyers market on eBay. No worries.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:12 AM

Definitely file a claim with PayPal (I hope you used PayPal), but you MUST FILE WITHIN 45 DAYS of the order or they won't do anything. So don't delay, and just do it, and then leave outrageously bad feedback on the seller so others know your experience.
Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Appreciate the warning.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-18-2013, 06:13 AM

I used to be an eBay seller, not anymore because I feel like it's unfair and sucks. I prefer Amazon now. But that's neither here nor there.

If you bought if off eBay, you must've used PayPal I assume? You're protected, file a PAYPAL claim, do NOT go thru eBay at all as it will not help. And definitely no point to contact the seller, just go right to PayPal especially since the seller has ignored you now. File a PayPal claim, and you WILL get your money back 100%. Just FYI -- one way sellers screw unknowing buyers sometimes is they say "Send me money as "gift" on PayPal" in which case you're screwed. But if you made a regular purchase thru eBay/PayPal and did NOT send money as gift you are good.

PayPal will give the buyer their money back, and THEN just present a bill to the seller, especially if they see that the problem is definitely the seller's fault. I've had it happen to me before, both when the buyer was right and wrong. Of course there are buyers who also try to use this as advantage, they will buy something and then try to get their money back AND keep the product, which I've also had happen to me and then eBay tried asking me for the money. Hence, why I think eBay is garbage, Amazon is way better.

And don't blame Nissan for this, when it's really just some scumbag a-hole who screws people online that's the problem.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:01 AM

1. You should be protected by ebay. Write them and tell them what happened.
2. I bought fully functional ECU for my 00 Infiniti I30 (same as 00 Maxima) from ebay for $80 shipped to my door.
3. The problem is not that Nissan is a bad car. The problem is that this e-bay seller is scamming people.