5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Carltonator: 18"long/ 6" round Magnaflow

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 06:38 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Carltonator: 18"long/ 6" round Magnaflow

This is the same style setup that Cmax had built which led to the newest change in the Cattman 3" catback setup. For some comparisons, the stock resonator is 23 3/4" long, 5" round on roughly 2" pipe. The Cattman is roughly 22" long, 4" round on a 3" pipe. The Magnaflow is 18" long, 6" round on a 3" pipe. Just looking at the Cattman setup, there has been a question about how large a resonator you can fit. A 6" round can is the largest you can fit comfortably. At least in regard to clearance between top of resonator and the heat sheild in the tunnel.

Regarding length, lets first assume the rear floor bracket that crosses over the exhaust tunnel has been removed. In terms of length, there is roughly 24" between the Cattman B-pipe flange and the front floor bracket closest the catalytic converter. Therefore, the only way a resonator longer than 22" could fit would be to remove the front floor bracket.

I did some back to back db comparisons with my iPhone....so you must take that for what it is, an app. Something I could not factor out is how background noise attributed to db readings, although I tried to minimze them as much as possible.

Here are the readings with the car warm and windows down. The before was taken during the day with background traffic and birds. The after was taken at night with crickets and frogs. I believe the night time noise was actually more intrusive into the readings and caused them to actually be a bit higher.

BEFORE: Cattman 4" Resonator..........AFTER: Magnaflow 6" Resonator
Startup - 79db..................................66db
Idle 54db.........................................50db
2k rpm 65db.....................................65db
2.5k rpm 70db..................................68db
3k rpm 70db.....................................70db
3.5k rpm 80db..................................75db
4k rpm 81db.....................................80db
4.5k rpm 90db..................................85db

Here are some videos.

First - Warm idle on standard Cattman setup with 4" resonator.

Second - Cold idle (I say warm up in video for some reason).

Third - In-cabin exhaust volume with Cattman setup.

Fourth - In-cabin exhaust volume on initial startup and revving.

Fifth - In-cabin volume for Magnaflow, driving.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 08-04-2013 at 07:15 AM.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:58 AM

FYI; Human Hearing

"The relationship between sound intensity and perceived loudness. It is common to express sound intensity on a logarithmic scale, called decibel SPL (Sound Power Level). On this scale, 0 dB SPL is a sound wave power of 10-16 watts/cm2, about the weakest sound detectable by the human ear. Normal speech is at about 60 dB SPL, while painful damage to the ear occurs at about 140 dB SP.

The difference between the loudest and faintest sounds that humans can hear is about 120 dB, a range of one-million in amplitude. Listeners can detect a change in loudness when the signal is altered by about 1 dB (a 12% change in amplitude). In other words, there are only about 120 levels of loudness that can be perceived from the faintest whisper to the loudest thunder. The sensitivity of the ear is amazing; when listening to very weak sounds, the ear drum vibrates less than the diameter of a single molecule!

The perception of loudness relates roughly to the sound power to an exponent of 1/3. For example, if you increase the sound power by a factor of ten, listeners will report that the loudness has increased by a factor of about two (101/3 ≈ 2). This is a major problem for eliminating undesirable environmental sounds, for instance, the beefed-up stereo in the next door apartment. Suppose you diligently cover 99% of your wall with a perfect soundproof material, missing only 1% of the surface area due to doors, corners, vents, etc. Even though the sound power has been reduced to only 1% of its former value, the perceived loudness has only dropped to about 0.011/3 ≈ 0.2, or 20%.

The range of human hearing is generally considered to be 20 Hz to 20 kHz, but it is far more sensitive to sounds between 1 kHz and 4 kHz. For example, listeners can detect sounds as low as 0 dB SPL at 3 kHz, but require 40 dB SPL at 100 hertz (an amplitude increase of 100). Listeners can tell that two tones are different if their frequencies differ by more than about 0.3% at 3 kHz. This increases to 3% at 100 hertz. For comparison, adjacent keys on a piano differ by about 6% in frequency."
Old 08-04-2013, 02:21 PM

I'd be interested how the new Cattman 5" compares, as it is sitting in my parents' garage waiting to be installed. Unfortunately, I haven't been home since last October... If someone with said system also has a dB meter, please post your findings.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Meant to take some images before installation. No surprise, just painted black to match my Cattman headers, Y, and Cattman catback.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:03 PM

Sounds PERFECT. Thank you for posting this
Old 08-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Good luck with the 6" wide resonator. I had one with a 2.5" exhaust system and scraped on the lower front part every now and then.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:43 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by mikehawk
Good luck with the 6" wide resonator. I had one with a 2.5" exhaust system and scraped on the lower front part every now and then.
I initially wondered about clearance. However, once installed the front of the can is just 1/8" lower than the forward floor board joist. I'm only slightly dropped on Eibachs, so I have absolutely no concerns. I appreciate the heads up though!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:08 AM

Very nice work, when are you making me one?!
Old 08-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Get Off My Lawn

My cost in materials is very close to Cmax, although I think he got standard steel flanges where I bought solid stainless flanges. I've still got the torches and stainless welding rods to do at least a couple more. PM me if serious and we can work out the details.
Old 08-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Oh yes, I am calling you on this. I have decided not to buy the 370z and keep the max a few more years. I love not having a payment and the four doors don't hurt either.
Old 08-05-2013, 10:09 AM

nice thread Chris,

any db measurements on stock for reference??

videos do sound pretty sweet though, not loud at all
Old 08-05-2013, 10:23 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Thanks. Tons of credit to Cmax for all this. He has some videos of his install as well. No db readings from stock, but that would had been nice.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:26 AM
dot dot dot ...

Intalled this last night.

Sounds REALLY quiet when started. Is very much quieter while driving but still have a slight drone zone I'm not fond of. Looking into an actual resonated test pipe vs my current pseudo resonated version.

Fitment was perfect. Install was a breeze, as it was noted to be. Love that it's still bolt in.

Anyone want a "resonator" section from the 1st gen batch.

I think the dB readings are pretty spot on. Not much difference in RPM ranges, but certainly more tamed at idle, low RPM.

If only MF made a 22" or 24" version. They do make a 30" version, but that would be a stretch to fit it in the current bolt in configuration.

Either way, awesome product, great service, even better fit.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the post^ quiet is good.

i wish I cared more about exhaust. i just hate being loud so I never even bothered upgrading anything involved with exhaust. but slowly taking notes/bookmarking threads like this for future decisions.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:27 PM
Get Off My Lawn

The drone is definitely still there but, to me it seemed more tame. Of course, that could be due to my trunk sound deadening.

I made up another unit identical to this one that's ready to ship out, if anyone is interested. I've got it posted in the for sale forums.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:48 PM

Sounds good

I haven't visited Magnaflow's website to look up the specs on their round muffler/resonators, but I'm kinda curious to know if it's possible to fit two smaller resonators instead of one big one (as far as length goes)
Old 09-14-2013, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
Intalled this last night.

Sounds REALLY quiet when started. Is very much quieter while driving but still have a slight drone zone I'm not fond of. Looking into an actual resonated test pipe vs my current pseudo resonated version.

Fitment was perfect. Install was a breeze, as it was noted to be. Love that it's still bolt in.

Anyone want a "resonator" section from the 1st gen batch.

I think the dB readings are pretty spot on. Not much difference in RPM ranges, but certainly more tamed at idle, low RPM.

If only MF made a 22" or 24" version. They do make a 30" version, but that would be a stretch to fit it in the current bolt in configuration.

Either way, awesome product, great service, even better fit.
Make one with the vibrant ultra quiet 3" resonator.

Would anyone with the cartonator be willing to weigh it?

Last edited by schmellyfart; 09-14-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:51 PM
Get Off My Lawn

No. No options for that kind of set up/design given only the space occupied by the resonator section on the 3" Cattman setup. The length is roughly 30" between cat and b-pipe. There is no Magnaflow resonator longer than 18" with 3" in/out that will fit (there is a 36" but, obviously it won't fit).

However, I've been looking at an option for those running a test pipe. I can put together one of two options: First- utilize two Magnaflow 14" and fills the gap between y-pipe and b-pipe. Effectively creates an 28" resonator. Second- utilize one 18" and one 14" resonator, fitting the same way. Creates effectively an 32" resonator.

I don't have any cost estimates for such a set up. Going to work on it next week. Probably looking at approximately $350 for such a large section. Hard to say how close final cost would be to that number given shipping for such a large section.
Old 09-14-2013, 08:00 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
Make one with the vibrant ultra quiet 3" resonator.

Would anyone with the cartonator be willing to weigh it?
- 13lbs -

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 09-15-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
I'll grab the weight tomorrow. IIRC, UPS weighed it in at about 20-22lbs. I'll verify and get back.
Thanks!

For comparison, would you or Manny weigh the Cattman resonated section as well?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:18 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Boy, I was way off! LOL!! It was 13.7lbs box and all. So, I'd say the completed unit is right at 13lbs.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:51 AM

Excellent, thanks for checking!
Old 09-15-2013, 10:44 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Are you wanting the weight for the Cattman 4" resonator or the new 5" version?
Old 09-16-2013, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Are you wanting the weight for the Cattman 4" resonator or the new 5" version?
The old style, which I assume is the 4" version.
Old 09-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Get Off My Lawn

I don have an accurate way to weigh the 4" Cattman. My scales are off, I'm sure. If you still need, I'll try.

Last edited by Chris Gregg; 09-22-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:41 AM
dot dot dot ...

Fit like a glove and quieted it down to where I'm happy with it. Quality and craftsmanship is awesome, fitment was/is great. All I hear is intake now.

The V1 Carltonator helped quite a bit, but I'm getting older this is a DD and so I needed something a lot quieter with no detriment to power.

One thing I did notice about the original is that it quieted it down a LOT from the outside, but still had some drone in the cabin. With this, it's nearly completely gone in the dreaded drone zone. There are some frequencies still audible, but there are some RPM ranges that you can't even hear it, where as before, it was almost unbearable with the OEM 4".

All in all, great working with Chris, and the quality is fantastic.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 10-30-2013 at 06:47 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:45 AM

That is one big honking resonator! And you remove your cat because of it?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:48 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TallTom
That is one big honking resonator! And you remove your cat because of it?
I've had a test pipe forever, that's a 3" test pipe on there bolted onto the original carltonator in the pic.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:09 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Thanks!! Glad I could help!

On a similar note guys, I've still got one remaining "V1" 18" Carltonator packed and ready to go. Comes with two 3" Vibrant gaskets so its ready to install straight out of the box. Asking $250 plus shipping.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:24 AM

I am really a newb with exhaust (don't like being loud)

but what does this piece replace?

the postcat and part of the B pipe? (nmexmax's pic showed a test pipe) or just the B-pipe? i thought the B pipe was one piece? as I bought it that way from napa which is already deteriotating by the way.

Name:  fe09layer.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  981.2 KB

and would you pass emissions with this "V1" 18" Carltonator?

Last edited by Prophecy99; 10-31-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:50 AM
dot dot dot ...

The Cattman B-pipe as all or at least most other B-pipes are 3 piece, 1 section goes from the cat covnertor, then the second pice that looks like a B typically, goes from the straight piece, then the 3rd peice is usually referred as the rear peic, which is basiclal a muffler and some pipe that goes over the rear beam suspension.

3 pieces.

Name:  Picture007.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  59.2 KB

Assembled pieces 1&2:

Name:  3inCattmanCatback001.jpg
Views: 478
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  fe09layer.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  981.2 KB
In short:

My set-up replaces piece #1, but also replaces the cat convertor/test pipe section and bolts right up to the header/y-pipe. So essentially from the purple y-pipe to the end of the large yellow resonator section. Keep in mind, I have a Cattman 3" and Cattman headers.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:06 AM
Get Off My Lawn

Just to build on what's already been said, the 18" Carltonator ONLY replaces the straight resonator section immediately after the cat converter. Because you retain your cat converter, you should pass emissions assuming it is functioning properly.

The Carltonator is designed specifically for the 3" Cattman system. But, custom built units for other 3" systems can be designed upon request.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:39 AM

thanks for the additional clarification!
Old 01-15-2014, 10:12 PM

Sorry to up an old thread but this is very interesting. Really cool to see someone use the magnaflow 30". I'm running a full cattman 3" setup front to back on an '01 AE. I currently have the 18" magnaflow like CMax and like you guys its a DD and still too loud for my taste. Few questions:
1- does removing the cross brace (just after the cat) harm or adversely affect anything?
2- How long is the long resonator setup from outside flange to outside flange in post #26?
3- could one pass emissions without Brian's 'fastcat' (or any cat for that matter) installed?
4- which O2 sim do you guys use? I still have my rear O2 sensors hooked up and they're always throwing a code. I have to pass emissions in two weeks.
5- have you guys considered fabricating your own resonator? I have been thinking about this for a while: what's the longest resonator body that could fit in there (if fastcat is removed)? It looks like 40" or so.... Would it be possible to weld two screws and a flange to the rear end of the body of the resonator to gain an extra few more inches? (So it bolts directly to the b-pipe flange instead of needing the extra few inches of 3" pipe after the res body)
Old 01-16-2014, 07:14 AM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by TSelanne
Sorry to up an old thread but this is very interesting.
No worries, I consider this thread ongoing with people giving feedback, etc.

1- does removing the cross brace (just after the cat) harm or adversely affect anything?
Mine has been off for the better part of a decade and I have yet to notice any ill effects. I tried spacers, I tried modifying it, and finally just removed it, many many exhaust set-ups ago.

2- How long is the long resonator setup from outside flange to outside flange in post #26?
Chris has those dimensions.

3- could one pass emissions without Brian's 'fastcat' (or any cat for that matter) installed?
Nope, you will need a cat of some sort. But, that’s the beauty of this set-up, if you keep the original Cattman resonator and your OEM cat or FastCat, just reinstall those for emissions testing. It doesn’t take very long being a bolt in set-up.

4- which O2 sim do you guys use? I still have my rear O2 sensors hooked up and they're always throwing a code. I have to pass emissions in two weeks.
I have a dual output from o2sim.com, I have 2 of them, because I never installed either. Strange your rears are throwing a code. Mine are not. How are your fronts?

5- have you guys considered fabricating your own resonator? I have been thinking about this for a while: what's the longest resonator body that could fit in there (if fastcat is removed)? It looks like 40" or so.... Would it be possible to weld two screws and a flange to the rear end of the body of the resonator to gain an extra few more inches? (So it bolts directly to the b-pipe flange instead of needing the extra few inches of 3" pipe after the res body)
40” would be cutting it very close, 30” I think is the max, and also, it be hard to find a 3” 40” x 6 “ resonator. If going with a smaller body (less than 6”) it might be possible, but, then you would semi defeat the purpose of a larger resonator, i.e. longer, but less diameter. Also, keep in mind, not sure of your suspension set-up, but be aware that the 6” does get closer to the ground than anything else. I’ve tapped it a few times and I’m only on Progress Springs.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:11 PM

Looking at the pic in post #26: what if you mounted/welded the rear flange (at the Bpipe) directly to the resonator can? That would offer at least 3 more inches. The can could also be extended forward towards the Ypipe (if there's room), which looks like another 5-6 inches. Crappy MSpaint drawing of what I mean:

Name:  resonator22_zps1968cf02.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  129.2 KB

The front flange would have to be done like CMax did his - with an extra piece of 3" OD tubing - so you could line up the bolt holes with the Ypipe flange.

Last edited by TSelanne; 08-26-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:25 PM

Viola, O2 sim. http://www.3sx.com/store/comersus_vi...?idProduct=769
Old 02-06-2014, 08:05 AM
dot dot dot ...

Cool I see what you mean, a quick swap-out! During testing do they actually get under the car and look for a cat?
Depends on the shop. Some only look at actual emissions from the exhaust, some only at codes. I don't get tested here so I really can't speak. [/QUOTE]
Cool thanks for the link. Well the p0430 code keeps coming back for me, so I'm going to try anti-foulers first and if those don't work then the sim.
P0430 is not an 02 sensor code. More of a pre-cat code. http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...nsorsedit9.jpg
If I install the sim, won't they see the O2 bungs with just plugs in them instead of actual O2 sensors?.... so they'll know I'm using a sim and then I won't pass. Is this something to worry about?
Do you have headers? If they are Cattman, they do not have bungs for the secondaries. If not, you still need the O2 sensors plugged in electronically, not in the exhaust stream, and some people hide them under the engine cover. But then again, if you're stock, there are so many heat sheilds, it would be almost impossible to see them without really getting in there. Also, not sure if this is relevant to the convo, but upstream O2's have nothing to do with the conversation at hand, i.e. main cat, and emissions, not pre cats. Since we're on the subject I am still a firm believer in that sims aren't necessary, and the foulers are the way to go. But, also, I've seen members with neither and just their O2's bunged in the headers and they have no codes for the rear O2's. I myself have my rears/secondaries bunged in and I have no secondary codes.
Yeah I hear you, I've looked around for extra long resonators too, with no results. If that front cross brace is removed, why would it need to be smaller than 6"? Is there something else blocking the space needed for a 6" diameter can?
Take a look under there and the tunnel right before the bend would be an issue due to the exhaust hangar there. I honestly do not think that big of resonator will make that much more of a difference unless it was louvered, but that's a bad word around here.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:09 PM

Sorry didn't mean to muck up the thread w emissions questions.

I myself have my rears/secondaries bunged in and I have no secondary codes.
Ok so you have cattman headers, yes? So the two front o2 sensors are on the headers themselves. Then where do you have your secondaries placed? On the longer portion of tubing right before the 30" MF resonator? On the Ypipe? They don't throw a code with the cat removed?

I honestly do not think that big of resonator will make that much more of a difference unless it was louvered, but that's a bad word around here.
Yeah louvered resonators seem to really have a bad rap. Though I've tried, I cannot find any data or measure for 'how bad' the flow restriction really is. I spoke to the owner of a muffler shop recently and he said "our louvered resonators only cause a 7% reduction in exhaust flow"... but that's the best I've found. I wonder how quiet the system would be using that MF 30" w a louvered core.... and if you'd notice a loss of power.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:44 PM

I just got rid of the y pipe completely and went with a dual in single out Magnaflow resonator. 2 1/4 inlet 2 1/2 outlet and also removed that bracket that was mentioned above. It's been off for a few years now and have also done some exhaust jobs on maximas that I have removed. No harm done to mine and no complaints from customers so must be ok! Lol

Quick Reply: Carltonator: 18"long/ 6" round Magnaflow