5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HELP ME PLEASE 5.5gen 350Z southbend flywheel timing ring

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 05:51 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP ME PLEASE 5.5gen 350Z southbend flywheel timing ring

greetings. Please be patient with me I am new to this site. I have done a lot of research on upgrading my Maxima with a 350 Z South Bend fly will. I know there were issues with be all set of the timing ring and was told that the flywheel simply needs to be re clocked once the offest was corrected. however my installer just told me that the only way to get the CPS sensor and timing ring trigger together is to drill holes and have the flywheel machined. Is this the only recourse?!! $$$$$$$$
Old 10-08-2013, 09:45 AM

Well. This is pretty easy.

Once you are 100% sure the flywheel is clocked right on the crank, re assemble the car.

Take a dremel to the tranny bellhousing, move the sensor over a few mm's, tap and drill a new hole and viola.

To get the correct position the mechanic can have the car running w/o the crank sensor installed and move it around until the rpm gauge reads and you're able to rev it freely w/o throwing a p0335, once the position is found, drill and tap a new hole and you're done.

So the first part is correct, but I don't know where the machining comes from, is the flywheel used? Then yes get it machined. If new then I'm tottaly lost on that.

Also how is he clocking it? I did mine pretty ghetto but only took 2 mins to do :-D but the problem is the only person who can work on my car is someone who know wtf is going on
Old 10-08-2013, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun

but the problem is the only person who can work on my car is someone who know wtf is going on
Yeah and those people are few and far between.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
Yeah and those people are few and far between.
There's 3 guys in Houston that would know, but that's about it, most shops will fck it up on the reinstall because I removed the dowel pin that clocks the flywheel correctly for a FWD car, so I could install the RWD flywheel in my car one bolt off.