5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lude vs 2k - Is my brother in law full of manure?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2002, 07:26 AM

Lude vs 2k - Is my brother in law full of manure?

Hey guys,

I think I know the answer to this one, but I just want to run it by the group.

Since we got our 2k2 SE, I get the feeling that my brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is under increasing pressure from my sister-in-law to keep up with Jones', so to speak.

Anyhow, my wife and her sister were talking a few weeks ago about our new 2k2. During the course of their conversation, my sister-in-law suddenly blurts out that her husband told her that their 97 5-spd Prelude is faster than our 2K 5-spd Maxima.

Now, I've never raced a Prelude in either of our Maxs, but I'm pretty sure our 5-spd would kill a stock Prelude.

I'm thinking of challenging him this summer to see what happens. Am I full of beans on this one or is he laying it on thick?
Old 01-18-2002, 07:47 AM

I think it should be a walk in the park for you, the best 0-60 and 1/4 mile times I know for a Lude are 6.7 and 15.1...Enjoy the victory
Old 01-18-2002, 07:55 AM
jjs

Re: Lude vs 2k - Is my brother in law full of manure?

So which Max are you talking about? Do you own 2? You mention a 5 speed 2K but started the post about a 2K2 (which is a 6 speed). I would say a 2K would be a close race (I have owned both a Prelude and now my AE), a 2K2 should walk away with it.

Originally posted by Eric
Hey guys,

Since we got our 2k2 SE, I get the feeling that my brother-in-law (wife's sister's husband) is under increasing pressure from my sister-in-law to keep up with Jones', so to speak.

Anyhow, my wife and her sister were talking a few weeks ago about our new 2k2. During the course of their conversation, my sister-in-law suddenly blurts out that her husband told her that their 97 5-spd Prelude is faster than our 2K 5-spd Maxima.

Now, I've never raced a Prelude in either of our Maxs, but I'm pretty sure our 5-spd would kill a stock Prelude.

I'm thinking of challenging him this summer to see what happens. Am I full of beans on this one or is he laying it on thick?
Old 01-18-2002, 07:58 AM

Re: Re: Lude vs 2k - Is my brother in law full of manure?

We have two. A 2K 5-spd SE and and a 2k2 6-spd SE. I know the 2k2 would pulverize the Lude, but I'm curious about how the 2K would stack up.

I've seen some pretty good times for Prelude's but I imagine they involve some pretty unsavory launches; Rev engine to 5000 rpm, dump clutch, get good time, buy new clutch...

Originally posted by jjs
So which Max are you talking about? Do you own 2? You mention a 5 speed 2K but started the post about a 2K2 (which is a 6 speed). I would say a 2K would be a close race (I have owned both a Prelude and now my AE), a 2K2 should walk away with it.

Old 01-18-2002, 08:02 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Lude vs 2k - Is my brother in law full of manure?

Makes sense now!

I would say it might be pretty close, you might do better off the line...my guess is it would come down to driver ability and like you say...how much abuse each driver is willing to do to his own car.

We have two. A 2K 5-spd SE and and a 2k2 6-spd SE. I know the 2k2 would pulverize the Lude, but I'm curious about how the 2K would stack up.

I've seen some pretty good times for Prelude's but I imagine they involve some pretty unsavory launches; Rev engine to 5000 rpm, dump clutch, get good time, buy new clutch...

Old 01-18-2002, 08:08 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

The Preludes are fairly heavy (3000+ lb) and not all that powerful. They only manage to do mid-15's stock, but I think it's close enough that it would come down to who the better driver is.

I think a 2k Maxima 5spd would have the edge, though.
Old 01-18-2002, 08:53 AM

Well, I raced one Integra GS-R and it was very close...

Last night I raced a GS-R and it was very close. Maybe he was modded, car looked very stock to me.
Anyways, I could not pull on him, it might have something to do with my bad launch. But the guy definetly knew how to drive that car.

That car has NO torque and still he was right there with me. Honda builds some nice engines.
Old 01-18-2002, 09:10 AM

Re: Well, I raced one Integra GS-R and it was very close...

I went head to head with a GSR on the highway last summer in my 5 spd and was able to gain on him. I fell in behind him and went from a 10 car gap down to a car length, at which point I had to ease off the gas to keep from rear-ending him.

However, maybe things are different from a stop.

Originally posted by Dany
Last night I raced a GS-R and it was very close. Maybe he was modded, car looked very stock to me.
Anyways, I could not pull on him, it might have something to do with my bad launch. But the guy definetly knew how to drive that car.

That car has NO torque and still he was right there with me. Honda builds some nice engines.
Old 01-18-2002, 10:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by SteVTEC
The Preludes are fairly heavy (3000+ lb) and not all that powerful. They only manage to do mid-15's stock, but I think it's close enough that it would come down to who the better driver is.

I think a 2k Maxima 5spd would have the edge, though.
What about the latest gen Prelude? Didn't they bump the H22A to 200hp in those?
Old 01-18-2002, 04:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have a 2k auto. My best time so far is a 15.4. I raced a new vtech prelude standard whose best time with stock wheels is also a 15.4. I raced him the other night, he had aftermarket wheels and tires which he claims are heavier. I believe him since their 18's. To make a long sory short, we raced from a red light, had about equal take offs and I walked him all the way to about 90. So if you have a standard 2k maxima you will win for sure. no doubt about it.
Old 01-18-2002, 04:29 PM

Re: Well, I raced one Integra GS-R and it was very close...

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dany
[B]Last night I raced a GS-R and it was very close. Maybe he was modded, car looked very stock to me.

Correction, Honda builds some RICE engines
Old 01-18-2002, 10:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

you should win

the 4th gen lude was actually faster than the 5th gen. The car has tons of potential, but it has to be driven hard to be fast. At the 1/4 mile track, I drove a 2001 prelude with mods and only got a 15.4. The owner of the car ended up getting a 14.4@97mph. With a good driver they hit 14's stock just like a max. It should boil down to driver. Be sure and go from a dead stop, your torque will help you, plus preludes have a mean top end.
Old 01-19-2002, 11:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey guys,

not only is ur brother in law in full of manure..he's gonna eat some when u race him...
Old 01-20-2002, 06:57 AM

Hey guys,

Having owned a '97 5-speed Prelude for 2 years, I feel a little qualified to answer this question. I have to totally disagree with most everyone that said you should race from a dead stop. The Prelude has a MEAN 1st gear launch once it hits 5.5K rpm and will probably get the best of you up 'til about 60mph or so. Then you should start catching up to him slowly and eventually pass him at the higher speeds. You can tell me all sorts of reasons (torque, hp, etc) and I couldn't defend myself because I'm still learning all that stuff. My stock AE auto is quite a bit quicker at highway speeds than my Prelude was, so I will assume that a Max 5-speed is even more so. I was one hell of a good shifter in my Prelude and there wasn't too many cars I lost to from a dead stop, but higher-speed acceleration wasn't its strong point. At any rate, I think a 5-speed Max and a 5-speed Prelude would be pretty darn close from a dead stop. But if you both started racing at highway speeds I think you would walk all over him.

Someone said that the 4th gen Preludes were faster than the current gen...that is correct. The new Preludes are quite a bit heavier becuase they really stiffened them up, greatly increasing the torsional rigidity.

Speaking of which, whatever you do...keep the race in a straight line. A stock newer Prelude will run circles around a stock SE in the curves!!

Tony