5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Noobie...ish here!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Noobie...ish here!

Hi! I just got an 01 Maxima 20th anniversary ed. and I am hoping to keep it for a long while. It has a lot of miles on it but I'm hoping if I baby it, I will still get plenty of life out of it.

I have been a lurker here for a while and actually made my profile a long time ago when I was trying to fix my other Maxima. I just downloaded the app on my phone so I am hoping to be more active this go around.

My first car was a 91 Maxima ( which I still have but doesn't run.) and I fell in love with them. The aesthetics are amazing and the fact I see these cars for sale with over 300K miles on them running amazes me. My 4 year old seems to love them too lol. When I got it she told my husband he can keep his stinky truck. That the new car was her and mommy's lol.

It has a few problems with it. I love the fact it has an automatic temperature control (first time I have ever seen it lol) The fan blower for the heat and ac won't turn on. If I go fast then I can feel the heat radiate from the vents but that's about it. Pretty sure it's the blower motor. And the back lights behind the RPM gauge won't work at all and the one behind the speedometer works only sometimes. That can get bad during night driving. Anyone have any ideas on what could be wrong?

Anyway I just wanted to introduce myself and my favorite car in the world atm. (: I may post pictures later but it's not anything special to look at. Not yet anyway (;
Old 03-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Welcome. I'm mostly a lurker too but I figured I would make a suggestion.
Check the blower motor fuse or fuses. If that's all it is it's a cheap easy fix.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by wlong01
Welcome. I'm mostly a lurker too but I figured I would make a suggestion. Check the blower motor fuse or fuses. If that's all it is it's a cheap easy fix.
Thanks! I tried the resistor and it didn't do anything. I'm pretty sure it's the motor because that's the most expensive thing and that's how my luck is lol. I'm going to try the relay and see if it could be that.
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sorry Double post lol. It gave me an error message but I guess the reply went through lol.

Last edited by eclipse920; 03-02-2014 at 07:04 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:28 AM

The blower motor for the heat could be the problem itself as stated. When you replaced the resistor, I hope you used the correct part. People use the word resistor as a generic term and can end up with the wrong part as a result. The auto climate control system (that you have) and the manual control system (similar to the 91 you have) use different parts, You need the fan control amplifier, not a resistor.

Under the hood by the battery are 2 fuses for the blower motor. Be sure to check them as suggested above. The relay going bad is rather rare. Spending you time checking for 12 volts on the fan motor itself (white/blue stripe) would be better.

The lights in the instrument cluster could be loose/bad bulbs. Another possibility is the wire harness connections need to be unplugged and re-plugged to clean the contacts.

Last edited by DennisMik; 03-03-2014 at 08:31 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:35 AM

You can test the blower motor by connecting the positive and negative to the battery terminals, I had the same problem on a SAAB I used to own (worst car ever) and thought it was the blower motor because I replaced the resistor and nothing happend. When you connect the positive and negative to the battery and the motor spins it is working. So I doubled checked the connection to the resistor and the positive wire was disconnected.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:46 AM
dot dot dot ...

Keep in mind whens starting threads ...

http://forums.maxima.org/4th-generat...e-contest.html

And if you need help, go here: http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...on-thread.html

Last edited by NmexMAX; 03-05-2014 at 09:48 AM.