5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Which cat back, would help with fuel economy and performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 10:09 PM

Which cat back, would help with fuel economy and performance?

Sorry I know there's been a bunch of threads on exhausted, but I haven't seen anyone speak specifically about better fuel efficiency and hp gains. I'd there a cat for better hp gains? I've got a 2001 Nissan Maxima automatic,( I believe my catalytic converter is currently bad but that's besides the point). All real input is appreciated!
Old 03-27-2014, 05:14 AM

There isn't any. The OEM is very efficient as it is. You would only gain sound.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:21 AM

If you're looking for MPG help- driver adjustments or joining a shopping club like Costco(for lower gas prices) are your best bet.

For example: A $60 K&N filter(which is said to improve MPG a few percent) would take months to pay for itself under normal driving circumstances.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:47 AM

Thanks guys, well that narrows my search to which ones dont use up more gas then the original?
Old 03-27-2014, 05:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by TallTom
There isn't any. The OEM is very efficient as it is. You would only gain sound.
Surely any catback will improve fuel economy because its freeing up horsepower as opposed to adding it. Yes, noise does increase too. Of course the lead footed among us may completely negate those gains for other reasons, but gentle driving on an aftermarket catback system should produce better economy than OEM.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

Surely any catback will improve fuel economy because its freeing up horsepower as opposed to adding it. Yes, noise does increase too. Of course the lead footed among us may completely negate those gains for other reasons, but gentle driving on an aftermarket catback system should produce better economy than OEM.
That's what I thought..
Old 03-27-2014, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
The OEM system is so advanced, you would need to buy the Cattman 3" catback to see any slight improvement and your return on investment would take about 5+ years to balance out.

The OEM muffler has a flap in it that stays closed which helps with low end torque. Once enough flow is going through,it opens up to reduce restrictions in the chambers.

If you are looking to improve your MPG, focus on a tuneup and maintaining tire pressure. You will get better results for cheaper.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:12 PM

The OEM system is so advanced, you would need to buy the Cattman 3" catback to see any slight improvement and your return on investment would take about 5+ years to balance out.

The OEM muffler has a flap in it that stays closed which helps with low end torque. Once enough flow is going through,it opens up to reduce restrictions in the chambers.

If you are looking to improve your MPG, focus on a tuneup and maintaining tire pressure. You will get better results for cheaper.
Great info mate, so basically there aren't any that reduces mpg. I just
Old 03-27-2014, 03:15 PM

Great info mate, so basically there aren't any that reduces mpg. I just wanted one that didn't make to much noise, I want more of a deep tone. Also one that gives performance but doesn't suck up gas