5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question about gas mileage! help Please

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2014, 06:58 AM

Question about gas mileage! help Please

i have a question about gas mileage. when i fill up my tank with 93 octane, the computer reads i should have 398 miles to empty, driving efficiently i only get 230 miles per tank. i put 14 gallons in fuel. give or take a little off or more depending when i fill up. and usually about the same miles per tank.
i just got oil changed, plugs,pcv valve, rotate and balance. also i feel a very very slight misfire at idle.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:58 AM

So what is your question?
Old 03-31-2014, 09:35 AM

well i hear posts of other fellow 5.5'ers saying they get about 350-400 miles per tank. why dont i?
Old 03-31-2014, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by e.esco
well i hear posts of other fellow 5.5'ers saying they get about 350-400 miles per tank. why dont i?
Your driving habits?

I'm usually getting 300 miles
Old 03-31-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by george__
Your driving habits?

I'm usually getting 300 miles
im driving pretty easy. i wonder if the very slight misfire has something to do with it.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:31 AM

^
If you do a lot of city driving?
Old 03-31-2014, 11:36 AM
Get Off My Lawn

A misfire will certainly affect fuel economy. There are MANY other factors as well....

It's been winter and if you've let the car warm up (which you should) then that will significantly affect fuel.

As mentioned, lots of city/ stop and go driving will consume more fuel. Even if conservative. Auto tranny can get worse fuel because of this. If a auto tranny is slipping, it can definately show.

Other maintenance issues as well - low tire pressure, seized brake caliper, or the known ebrake cable seizing issue, etc etc.

So, what to do? Ensure all maintenance is addressed. That includes inspecting brakes and making sure none are dragging. You can look at rotors for discoloration or even feel the center of the wheel with the back of your hand - if one wheel feels hotter than the other (left compare to right) then that wheel may be dragging. Don't compare front to rear as it should be expected fronts will be hotter.

If at a long red light, put the car in neutral or park (consumes less fuel). Eliminate any unnecessary weight if you have any. Carrying a toolbox, heavy sub/amp system, etc will pull fuel economy down the tubes.

Most important!! DO NOT measure fuel economy using the on board estimate system. Our tanks hold 18 gallons. If you fill 14 gallons- good - shouldn't run till dry. But, the ONLY way to get an accurate measurement of use is to divide the actual miles driven (means resetting trip each fill up) and dividing those miles by the number of gallons filled. That will give you your miles per gallon.

I get roughly 21mpg during winter. I get 23 in summer. Close to 25mpg on road trips. Consistent driving habits.

I'm sure there's more, but hopefully that's a start.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:46 AM

yes i do about 50/50 city/hwy, and my vehicle is a 6 speed. im wondering will a failing coil not throw a check engine light on, and will it just show a slight misfire? im thinking that might be the problem, because i already changed plugs, oil, pcv, tire rot and bal, belts. also my vehicle did not come with an air scoop(inlet) i just purchased one from another member. just wondering will this cause the problem.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:37 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Nah, people run cone filters and ghetto mods that pull under hood air all the time.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
Nah, people run cone filters and ghetto mods that pull under hood air all the time.
so it wouldnt cause a impact with fuel economy.?
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM

are you running premium fuel?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by george__
are you running premium fuel?
yes i put 93

today while idling, it sounded like little explosions coming from the back of the car. and every once in a while i would get the infamous p0300

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:44 AM

P0300 is multiple cylinders mis-firing. This means 2 or more cylinders. The little explosions may be the engine backfiring from too much unburned fuel in the catalytic converter.

Unfortunately P0300 doesn't tell you which cylinders. Most of the time this is caused by the ignition coils failing, but not always.
Old 04-01-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
P0300 is multiple cylinders mis-firing. This means 2 or more cylinders. The little explosions may be the engine backfiring from too much unburned fuel in the catalytic converter.

Unfortunately P0300 doesn't tell you which cylinders. Most of the time this is caused by the ignition coils failing, but not always.
ok i ordered three ignition coils from ebay just to see if will fix the problem, and im thinking if its the coils it will improve my fuel economy as well, right?

bump

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-02-2014 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:34 PM
dot dot dot ...

Originally Posted by e.esco
ok i ordered three ignition coils from ebay just to see if will fix the problem, and im thinking if its the coils it will improve my fuel economy as well, right?
Originally Posted by DennisMik

Originally Posted by Chris Gregg
A misfire will certainly affect fuel economy. There are MANY other factors as well....

It's been winter and if you've let the car warm up (which you should) then that will significantly affect fuel.

As mentioned, lots of city/ stop and go driving will consume more fuel. Even if conservative. Auto tranny can get worse fuel because of this. If a auto tranny is slipping, it can definately show.

Other maintenance issues as well - low tire pressure, seized brake caliper, or the known ebrake cable seizing issue, etc etc.

So, what to do? Ensure all maintenance is addressed. That includes inspecting brakes and making sure none are dragging. You can look at rotors for discoloration or even feel the center of the wheel with the back of your hand - if one wheel feels hotter than the other (left compare to right) then that wheel may be dragging. Don't compare front to rear as it should be expected fronts will be hotter.

If at a long red light, put the car in neutral or park (consumes less fuel). Eliminate any unnecessary weight if you have any. Carrying a toolbox, heavy sub/amp system, etc will pull fuel economy down the tubes.

Most important!! DO NOT measure fuel economy using the on board estimate system. Our tanks hold 18 gallons. If you fill 14 gallons- good - shouldn't run till dry. But, the ONLY way to get an accurate measurement of use is to divide the actual miles driven (means resetting trip each fill up) and dividing those miles by the number of gallons filled. That will give you your miles per gallon.

I get roughly 21mpg during winter. I get 23 in summer. Close to 25mpg on road trips. Consistent driving habits.

I'm sure there's more, but hopefully that's a start.
No need to bump, your question has been answered multiple times.

I'll leave this here too:

Originally Posted by TunerMax3000
The PROPER way to calculate MPG is:

1. Fill tank completely
2. Reset odo
3. Drive as far as you feel like, doesn't matter much
4. Re-fill your tank completely
5. Record miles driven between #2 and #4
6. Record Gallons you put in tank at #4
7. Divide Mile reading you got at #5 by Gallon reading you got at #6

EXAMPLE:

1. Fill tank completely done
2. Reset odo 0 miles
3. Drive as far as you feel like, doesn't matter much 200 miles
4. Re-fill your tank completely done
5. Record miles driven between #2 and #4 200 miles
6. Record Gallons you put in tank at #4 8 Gallons
7. Divide Mile reading you got at #5 by Gallon reading you got at #6 200 Miles / 8 Gallons = 25 MPG

Last edited by NmexMAX; 04-02-2014 at 03:40 PM.