5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Speedo only shows 20mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 01:29 PM

Speedo only shows 20mph

So long story is it worked yesterday now today I go for a drive and I'm sure I'm doing 30-40 and speedo says I'm doing 20.... Really the rmps work but idk what's wrong.... When I was kinda just coasting at like 5-10 it said I was at 0... Need help and idk if it's the sensor or cluster or maybe something else
Old 04-01-2014, 02:00 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Sounds like you have a great excuse to get out of speeding tickets. "Officer..my speedo is showing 20 MPH...see!"
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Bronxboi5
So long story is it worked yesterday now today I go for a drive and I'm sure I'm doing 30-40 and speedo says I'm doing 20.... Really the rmps work but idk what's wrong.... When I was kinda just coasting at like 5-10 it said I was at 0... Need help and idk if it's the sensor or cluster or maybe something else
Yo... I have the EXACT same problem with my speedo. Been like this for about a year now, just haven't had the time to chase after it. I Can't wait to hear what you find out. Keep us posted please. Also, how old is your vehicle?
Old 04-01-2014, 10:24 PM

Could be a couple different things:
- servo in the speedo (cluster)
- VSS is going out (does it downshift hard?)

Check to see if there are any TSBs for your instrument cluster or VSS (vehicle speed sensor).
Old 04-02-2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by dirtywerke
Could be a couple different things:
- servo in the speedo (cluster)
- VSS is going out (does it downshift hard?)

Check to see if there are any TSBs for your instrument cluster or VSS (vehicle speed sensor).
No tsb that I know of took it to nissan last month found out had a airbag recall... Doesn't down shift hard but where I can check to find out what the problem is
Old 04-02-2014, 01:27 AM

If the car drives fine then its either the cluster or speed sensor.....if it does not drive well then it might be something else.....I got A speed sensor for sale for cheap, hit me up if interested.....its factory oem part.

Last edited by BronxSleeperMax187; 04-02-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
If the car drives fine then its either the cluster or speed sensor.....if it does not drive well then it might be something else.....I got A speed sensor for sale for cheap, hit me up if interested.....its factory oem part.
I may have forgot to mention I have a 2002 6 speed so I hope this gives better details.... And yes the car runs the same just can't tell how fast I'm going
Old 04-02-2014, 03:13 AM

I may have forgot to mention I have a 2002 6 speed so I hope this gives better details.... And yes the car runs the same just can't tell how fast I'm going
From what I remember the 2002-03 uses A different method to read speed, thru Abs speed sensors....4 of them, 30 bucks online each......no abs sensor codes ?
Also revolution speed sensor.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:46 AM

Could it possibly have anything to do with the throttle body, as a previous person here mentioned.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Itz Shak
Could it possibly have anything to do with the throttle body, as a previous person here mentioned.
Idk but I refuse to pay nissan 100 bucks to just look at my car.... It's crazy cause I just had it there 3 weeks ago... I have no codes at all shoeing so idk what it can be and I need help
Old 04-03-2014, 03:23 AM

So another note my cruise control works only on the highway cause it thinks I'm doing 30-32 mph..... I need some help here guys
Old 04-03-2014, 07:00 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

So another note my cruise control works only on the highway cause it thinks I'm doing 30-32 mph..... I need some help here guys
You use cruise control on city streets?

At any rate...input was given to you already so take it or leave it. If you don't like the input don't ask for different input; you'll have to find your own way if you don't like what people say.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:55 PM

Could you post progress with it, after you find the fix please. It'd really help me out aswell
Old 04-03-2014, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
You use cruise control on city streets?

At any rate...input was given to you already so take it or leave it. If you don't like the input don't ask for different input; you'll have to find your own way if you don't like what people say.
So yeah before u give you 2 cents when it's not needed Iv looked into all the advice I was given and it didn't work... Second try to read what I wrote that I was on the highway but my speedo said I was doing 32.... So not guy I don't use cruise on a city street how stupid does that sound....
Old 04-03-2014, 06:10 PM

Could you post progress with it, after you find the fix please. It'd really help me out aswell
So yeah bro it's a toss up... I changed my front struts today and low and behold I hop on the highway to test them out and see a cop and go how fast am I going... It said 75 so after a second look it was working.... I'm guessing my abs sensor in the front wheel was lose and throwing it off... But then again my boy who is a transmisson tech said maybe when I jacked up the car some oil got inside the sensor and cause it was jacked it drained out... So Saturday ima check the sensor and I'll get back to you after I test it
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 PM

So yeah bro it's a toss up... I changed my front struts today and low and behold I hop on the highway to test them out and see a cop and go how fast am I going... It said 75 so after a second look it was working.... I'm guessing my abs sensor in the front wheel was lose and throwing it off... But then again my boy who is a transmisson tech said maybe when I jacked up the car some oil got inside the sensor and cause it was jacked it drained out... So Saturday ima check the sensor and I'll get back to you after I test it
Alright sounds great, and good luck I really appreciate it mate.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

So yeah before u give you 2 cents when it's not needed Iv looked into all the advice I was given and it didn't work... Second try to read what I wrote that I was on the highway but my speedo said I was doing 32.... So not guy I don't use cruise on a city street how stupid does that sound....
Oh really?

So you have checked or replaced the following...speed sensor, servo motor in your gauge cluster, abs sensor, and throttle body and nothing?

Funny because you never posted any progress of this, only that you need more input. Sounds to me like you are being a bit lazy here.

And I would be able to read the intent of your posts if you wrote more clearly. So yes...you sound pretty stupid.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Oh really?

So you have checked or replaced the following...speed sensor, servo motor in your gauge cluster, abs sensor, and throttle body and nothing?

Funny because you never posted any progress of this, only that you need more input. Sounds to me like you are being a bit lazy here.

And I would be able to read the intent of your posts if you wrote more clearly. So yes...you sound pretty stupid.
So once again talking with out reading... So if you read my post early today you would have seen that I said now it works..... And that I thought it was one of my 2 sensors in the abs since I did my front struts and now the problem was fixed..... But yeah you knew that
Old 04-04-2014, 01:31 AM

Alright sounds great, and good luck I really appreciate it mate.
But yeah try the abs sensors and speed sensor first.... If it's a just a glitch and stop working again I'll let you know but tomorrow I'm changing both of the abs and the tranny speed sensor
Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 AM

But yeah try the abs sensors and speed sensor first.... If it's a just a glitch and stop working again I'll let you know but tomorrow I'm changing both of the abs and the tranny speed sensor
Cool, can't wait to hear results.
Old 04-04-2014, 10:58 PM

Cool, can't wait to hear results.
So maybe some knew maybe some didn't but I'm fussing the 5.5 /02's and up 6 speed don't have a speed sensor on the tranny... Spent 1 hour looking and couldn't find it even though I have the part so wasted money on that today
Old 04-05-2014, 11:30 AM

So after trail and error it looks like the cluster.... Gotta find one now to check and make sure cause new sensors and still the problem but got on the highway today and once again speeding around a ramp it kicked in and started to work
Old 04-05-2014, 01:50 PM

So after trail and error it looks like the cluster.... Gotta find one now to check and make sure cause new sensors and still the problem but got on the highway today and once again speeding around a ramp it kicked in and started to work
Ahh... that's been happeneing to me lately aswell, and i haven't replaced any sensors yet. I guess it is the cluster then.. oh well -.-
Thanks for the info mate
Old 04-05-2014, 10:38 PM

Ahh... that's been happeneing to me lately aswell, and i haven't replaced any sensors yet. I guess it is the cluster then.. oh well -.-
Thanks for the info mate
Just look on eBay or try a salvage yard but u have to get the correct one not just anyone
Old 04-11-2014, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the info mate
So I got a free check on my abs system today and turns out it was my rear right sensor....
Old 04-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

So once again talking with out reading... So if you read my post early today you would have seen that I said now it works..... And that I thought it was one of my 2 sensors in the abs since I did my front struts and now the problem was fixed..... But yeah you knew that
Didn't bother because the writing isn't very good...so yeah. Once again, you didn't bother with any input given by the members to your issue and only found it on a rare fluke relating to changing your struts.

Basically, your entire thread was worthless in finding out the problem.

How much spoon feeding do you want? Here you go...

Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM

Cluster is all electronically controlled, not like the old days of yore where they have speedo cable attached to the back of the cluster to the tranny. It has to be the Vehicle Speed Sensor, or the tranny sensor, whichever nissan uses. Typically the sensor is part of the engine management control if that were to fail or inaccurately reading the speed on your speedo, then it will trigger engine check light.