5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intakes from www.frankencar.com

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 08:46 AM

Intakes from www.frankencar.com

Does anyone know if these intakes are any good?

They said they had one for my 2002 GLE.. I am not sure

If I should get it.

http://www.frankencar.com/fc_intake.shtml
Old 01-21-2002, 08:47 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

A simple search will yield lots of information and opinions.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Very sound, Mike

Re: Intakes from www.frankencar.com

Yep. It's good. in fact it's great! Not to sound redundant but try the search feature. You'll get a number of threads about Steve and Matt(Frankencar) posting video's and dyno graphs for it.

Originally posted by MaximaGirl02
Does anyone know if these intakes are any good?

They said they had one for my 2002 GLE.. I am not sure

If I should get it.

http://www.frankencar.com/fc_intake.shtml
Old 01-21-2002, 08:52 AM

the guy from frankencar.com told me...

" The gain is 10 DYNO proven horsepower and 5 ft/lbs. of torque. We,
Frankencar.com, make the intakes. We are a new comapny and strive to be the
best. "
Old 01-21-2002, 09:03 AM
Very sound, Mike

They're not lying. Steve and Matt are known and respected members of the Org.

If you look at the dyno graphs it shows just that. There may be a slight dip in power and torque around 4300 - 4700 rpm but from then on it increases abruptly (sort of like a calm before the storm effect) all the way to 6k+ rpm.

The sound made by this is also incredible. I know clips don't do it justice but hey if that already sounds good just imagine how the real thing would sound like

Given you're from Arizona this would be a good one for you. Once they come out with Stage 4 then all the better!

best. "
Old 01-21-2002, 09:05 AM
Mauja He Mauja

best. "
Bryan is working on production of intakes for the 2002. here is the thread5th generation intakes complete
Old 01-21-2002, 10:20 AM

Originally posted by soundmike
They're not lying. Steve and Matt are known and respected members of the Org.
Well, at least Steve is respected.

If you look at the dyno graphs it shows just that. There may be a slight dip in power and torque around 4300 - 4700 rpm but from then on it increases abruptly (sort of like a calm before the storm effect) all the way to 6k+ rpm.

The sound made by this is also incredible. I know clips don't do it justice but hey if that already sounds good just imagine how the real thing would sound like
Yes, the sound is great. I have the first Frankencar intake made for 2k-2k1. It sounds even better in person.
Old 01-21-2002, 10:53 AM

how does this intake compare to the place racing intake?
Old 01-21-2002, 11:39 AM

Make your own

My CAI

I bet I got main gain from mine then the Frankencar will give you.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PR CAI is better in terms of performance but I think both intakes are WAY overpriced. I remember there was one .org member that was selling PR CAIs for 165 bucks until PR told him to stop because he was selling it for too cheap. I would wait and see if Warpspeed will do a CAI for the 2k2 because they seem to be the only real car lovers not out to make a quick buck. Their CAI for the 4th gen is at around 160 bucks.... I think. Which is 40 less than the PR CAI.
Old 01-21-2002, 12:44 PM

stop whoring her thread, she was asking about the Frankencar intake.....
Old 01-21-2002, 12:49 PM
Mauja He Mauja

Originally posted by Cutlr7
lol
Old 01-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well, she did ask about PR CAI vs. Franken Intake

Anyhow, just to add. Generally speaking the CAI pulls air from outside the engine bay and thus cooler air (CAI!), The Stage 2 Franken intake acts more like a short ram intake. Not short enough to be a POP but not long enough either to pull air from outside the bay. The JWT POP Intake and the Stillen are good examples of other intakes also (funnily) called WAI (warm air intakes).

Again, Generally speaking the consensus is, a CAI makes more low-mid rpm range power while the "WAI" gains more high-end power.

A lot of people seems to complain of lost low-end torque after installing a "WAI" while others believe they actually gained something from it. At this point you're better off trying it out for yourself.

Also, the CAI is more involved during installation as you'd have to drill into your fender (approx. a 3" hole) for the tube to pass through.

Hope this helps a bit more.

Originally posted by Cutlr7
Old 01-21-2002, 01:14 PM

Anyhow, just to add. Generally speaking the CAI pulls air from outside the engine bay and thus cooler air (CAI!), The Stage 2 Franken intake acts more like a short ram intake. Not short enough to be a POP but not long enough either to pull air from outside the bay. The JWT POP Intake and the Stillen are good examples of other intakes also (funnily) called WAI (warm air intakes).

Again, Generally speaking the consensus is, a CAI makes more low-mid rpm range power while the "WAI" gains more high-end power.

A lot of people seems to complain of lost low-end torque after installing a "WAI" while others believe they actually gained something from it. At this point you're better off trying it out for yourself.

Also, the CAI is more involved during installation as you'd have to drill into your fender (approx. a 3" hole) for the tube to pass through.

Wasn't aiming at those comparing other CAIs, just people dissing Steve's intake, he has taken time and developed the intake and offered it to us for a reasonable price. That was my point
Old 01-21-2002, 01:55 PM

Regarding this "short-ram" intake, It is not really much longer than the stock resonator. I would say, it might stick out 1 inch more than the resonator/stillen intake. I'm sure there is a benefit to having the resonator removed and replaced with a smoother air flow but how much more HP are we looking at here? Is it even 1 more hp, I seriously doubt it. I guess it would sound better though. But power wise, the Stillen/JWT might put out more.... It's like the same debate with the exhaust question, to keep the resonator on the B-Pipe or to remove it. It's basically a matter of personal taste. Bottom line: if you want power, get a supercharger (ops, 2k2 don't have that option) if you just want sound, get the intake.
Old 01-21-2002, 02:32 PM

Ok LOL .. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the

Intake..

Like someone who already has it.. Cause I have bought parts for my

old car.. and ended up not liking them.. I just want to make sure

I am making a good decision here.. anyone with this intake?? any

regrets.. For example.. on my old car.. I had the Injen Intake.. ..

and I wanted to cut edges and go cheaper so I got the INJEN instead

of the Swift Racing one.. LoL sorry If I am going off the subjet here

I just don't want to waste my money once again.. thanks guys for all

your feedback!
Old 01-21-2002, 02:55 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by N1sMO
[B]

get a supercharger (ops, 2k2 don't have that option)

not yet but a kit is in the R&D department trying to be fabricated!!!! so watch out!
Old 01-21-2002, 03:05 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WILLSE
[B]
Originally posted by N1sMO

not yet but a kit is in the R&D department trying to be fabricated!!!! so watch out!
who's R&D department? S/C kit? where did you hear this?
thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 03:06 PM
Very sound, Mike

Oohh!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WILLSE
[B]

Old 01-21-2002, 03:09 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well the Franken guys claim their intake puts out 3hp and 7lb.ft of torque more than the Stillen so they must be doing something right.

Regarding this "short-ram" intake, It is not really much longer than the stock resonator. I would say, it might stick out 1 inch more than the resonator/stillen intake. I'm sure there is a benefit to having the resonator removed and replaced with a smoother air flow but how much more HP are we looking at here? Is it even 1 more hp, I seriously doubt it. I guess it would sound better though. But power wise, the Stillen/JWT might put out more.... It's like the same debate with the exhaust question, to keep the resonator on the B-Pipe or to remove it. It's basically a matter of personal taste. Bottom line: if you want power, get a supercharger (ops, 2k2 don't have that option) if you just want sound, get the intake.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:11 PM
Very sound, Mike

I think he's talking about their own R&D

Originally posted by mattattax

who's R&D department? S/C kit? where did you hear this?
thanks
Old 01-21-2002, 03:18 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

actually another 2k2 6-spd owner dynoed with his stillen intake with "velocity stack" and got 3 less hp and 7 LESS TQ then a did, so the gains are there. plus emax said this is way better sounding too.

and cutlr7 and soundmike
Old 01-21-2002, 03:29 PM

Ok LOL .. I just wanted to see what you guys thought about the

Intake..

Like someone who already has it.. Cause I have bought parts for my

old car.. and ended up not liking them.. I just want to make sure

I am making a good decision here.. anyone with this intake?? any

regrets.. For example.. on my old car.. I had the Injen Intake.. ..

and I wanted to cut edges and go cheaper so I got the INJEN instead

of the Swift Racing one.. LoL sorry If I am going off the subjet here

I just don't want to waste my money once again.. thanks guys for all

your feedback!
Okie, I guess my post wasn't very informative in that sense. I had the PR CAI on my 96 Max, and personally I did not feel any gains. I guess my butt dyno isn't tuned to be that sensitive. But it did sound incredible though. The kid in me wants to get an aftermarket intake because of the sound. But the adult in me tells me to get a y-pipe/ b-pipe after my warranty runs out instead because of the real hp gains.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:34 PM
PhatGuy

Okie, I guess my post wasn't very informative in that sense. I had the PR CAI on my 96 Max, and personally I did not feel any gains. I guess my butt dyno isn't tuned to be that sensitive. But it did sound incredible though. The kid in me wants to get an aftermarket intake because of the sound. But the adult in me tells me to get a y-pipe/ b-pipe after my warrantee runs out instead because of the real hp gains.
The intake gains are realized much more if you have a aftermarket y-pipe. There are some small gains with just an intake with everything else stock. Get a Y-pipe first for sure!

Old 01-21-2002, 03:36 PM

well which Y pipe do you reccomend? for my 2002 GLE..

Old 01-21-2002, 03:38 PM

this intake will give you 10 hp but there are no y-pipes out yet. i'm gonna start working on one though.
Old 01-21-2002, 03:38 PM
Very sound, Mike

Well there isn't one for the 2k2 just yet. Give these guys a month or two and you'll see one for sale soon enough.

Old 01-21-2002, 03:45 PM

As luck would have it, there are currently no y pipes available for your year. But with 260hp stock, why are you so anxious to do mods? I only wish they had the 3.5 engine when the 5th gen first came out. Be happy with what you have for the time being. Mod after your warranty runs out, by then there will be plenty of stuff for you to mod. Not to scare you, but some people had problems with the MAF (Mass Air Flow sensor) going out after putting an aftermarket intake. That thing cost 400 bucks new. Just a thought!
Old 01-21-2002, 03:47 PM
PhatGuy

You should take the time to read the thread(s) regarding the FC intake. It is proven fact it puts out more power than the Stillen pop. I know since I have witnessed dyno runs of a 2k2 6spd with stillen pop and the gains were higher with the FC. I realize you have a "newbie" status but I have a feeling you have been on the .org for sometime and just posting nonsense for one reason or another. Either read the threads or contact Matt or Steve directly with questions. You are only debating with yourself on this one.

Old 01-21-2002, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

this intake will give you 10 hp but there are no y-pipes out yet. i'm gonna start working on one though.

so which one produces more power? a stillen popcharger or the frankencar stage 2? An unbiased reply based solely on dyno results would be preferred
Old 01-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Very sound, Mike

Alrighty,

Here's Eric's dyno with Stillen intake (Auto?)

And here's WillSE's dyno run with a modified intake (6spd)

And the

Other 2k2 with stillen intake + exhaust

Of course, the FC is on their website
Old 01-21-2002, 04:14 PM

Originally posted by PhatGuy

You should take the time to read the thread(s) regarding the FC intake. It is proven fact it puts out more power than the Stillen pop. I know since I have witnessed dyno runs of a 2k2 6spd with stillen pop and the gains were higher with the FC. I realize you have a "newbie" status but I have a feeling you have been on the .org for sometime and just posting nonsense for one reason or another. Either read the threads or contact Matt or Steve directly with questions. You are only debating with yourself on this one.
I am not trying to post nonsense, just trying to put some sense into this intake issue. I don't have any questions for Matt or Steve, I'm sure they will sell a ton of these intakes because of the promoting that's been going on here. Who knows, maybe the 2k2's resonator is poorly designed. But there are no significant difference with a short-ram approach to a Stillen/ JWT approach on the 4th gen and y2k - 2k1 maxes. Since many people have converted their PR CAI to a short-ram intake (including myself) during the rainy seasons. If it is true that the FC intake is that much better than the Stillen/JWT intake then this intake would be even better than the PR CAI intake. And as you and I know, there has been heated debates about the Stillen/ PR CAI. Except the FC does not have a velocity stack, so that comparison would not apply. I think dynos are way over rated, it doesn't put the car in a real working environment. The hood is open with the fan blowing so ofcourse the WAI would excel. Heat soak, that's what WAI do when the car is idle. I don't want to wait till the car moves at 40 mph to get any kind of gains.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:16 PM

Alrighty,

And the

it seems based on these number the frankencar stage 2 makes more power.... and i have no idea why "the other 2k2 with stellen intake + exhaust" dynoed so low.. 198 fwhp?! didnt even break 200
Old 01-21-2002, 04:21 PM

Alrighty,

And the

Has anyone dyno back to back on the same car with the various intakes? There are way too many factors when comparing dyno plots.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:31 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Has anyone dyno back to back on the same car with the various intakes? There are way too many factors when comparing dyno plots.
I agree, but dynoing is time and money and many people only have 1 or 2 intakes(in between switching from one to another) I would love to see FC car put on a Stillen intake and put this to bed once and for all.
Old 01-21-2002, 04:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Tell me my stage 2 is in the mail, Steve. I'm dying to put my car to the dyno and end this thread.

Albert
Old 01-21-2002, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by dmbmaxima88

actually another 2k2 6-spd owner dynoed with his stillen intake with "velocity stack" and got 3 less hp and 7 LESS TQ then a did, so the gains are there. plus emax said this is way better sounding too.

and cutlr7 and soundmike
yes that person that dynoed was me results 212hp 223torque

will
Old 01-21-2002, 06:03 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by akrus
Tell me my stage 2 is in the mail, Steve. I'm dying to put my car to the dyno and end this thread.

Albert
Are you stock motor-wise right now? A before and after would be simply lovely...and I agree would end this thread once and for all!
Old 01-21-2002, 06:45 PM

I think I will get the Franken Intake..
Old 01-21-2002, 07:44 PM

i dynoed with my stock intake and franken intake THE SAME DAY FOR A REASON. i got 10hp and 5tq. the other maxima with a stillen intake dynoed at 3 less hp and 7 less tq. he actually lost 2tq over my stock run. wow big velocity stack. if someone wants to let me borrow their stillen intake i might consider dynoing with it and with teh frankencar intake. although emax is right near me and we could dyno the same day or something. there is a dyno with a stillen intake and it was less, he had less tq then i did stock. this is unbiased(yes it is) based SOLELY upon dyno charts

-steve

Quick Reply: Intakes from www.frankencar.com