5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just a few questions if anyone could help out

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 02:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just a few questions if anyone could help out

I recently got and 2002 se maxima I love this car always wanted it but few things that have stumped me

1. If I turn my air off or even if I didn't turn it on and the fan is on off mode air gently still comes out what could that be?

2. I have recently started hearing a rattle from engine area I thought it was a heat shield or clutch but checked every heat shield and I checked clutch then u realized I was a little over oil milage by 350 miles so I changed the oil and rattle went away any ideas what it could have been also my car has 119,000 miles on it?

3. Does anyone know of a good parts place that works for a nissan like actually made for a nissan not like universal junk I want to do minor stuff like exact and intake and stuff like that then down road rebuild engine and just wondering what you guys use
Old 06-11-2014, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by Shane02Maxima
I recently got and 2002 se maxima I love this car always wanted it but few things that have stumped me

1. If I turn my air off or even if I didn't turn it on and the fan is on off mode air gently still comes out what could that be?

2. I have recently started hearing a rattle from engine area I thought it was a heat shield or clutch but checked every heat shield and I checked clutch then u realized I was a little over oil milage by 350 miles so I changed the oil and rattle went away any ideas what it could have been also my car has 119,000 miles on it?

3. Does anyone know of a good parts place that works for a nissan like actually made for a nissan not like universal junk I want to do minor stuff like exact and intake and stuff like that then down road rebuild engine and just wondering what you guys use
1. Check your vent settings. You have a recirculation and fresh air setting you may have it on fresh air drawing in outside air while driving.

2 Could be a number of things. If it stopped due to an oil change then maybe that's a good indication to keep on top of them and do them on time aswell as check your oil level. Use good oil and premium gas.

3 Try Nissan courtesy parts. You should be able to find their link on here or just google.

Last edited by ac max 92; 06-11-2014 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:17 AM

rattle

Use catrol 5/30 high mileage oil. Always check the level of oil, the best way to check is to warm up the engine or drive a few miles then turn off the engine and wait for 10-15 minutes then check the oil level.
Install PCV oil catcher (ADD W1 at amazon or ebay.) to prevent the blowby oil reaching the intake manifold. (VQ35DE consumed oil because it has a tapered piston)
Old 06-12-2014, 06:35 AM

I doubt going 350 miles over for an oil change had any impact whatsoever, especially if your referring to a 3000 mile oil change interval. These cars today can go much longer supposedly (I personally still do 3k due to my driving being rather harsh - all city mileage with frequent short trips)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by mrsandman
I doubt going 350 miles over for an oil change had any impact whatsoever, especially if your referring to a 3000 mile oil change interval. These cars today can go much longer supposedly (I personally still do 3k due to my driving being rather harsh - all city mileage with frequent short trips)
That is true, but if his car burns oil the level of the oil will go down and that could cause the rattle.

Keep an eye on your oil level for sure, since you have 5.5 Gen Maxima.