5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please help, coolant issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:17 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help, coolant issues

I apologize in advance for my long, drawn out post, but I want to explain things clearly. Two days ago, as I was driving, my 2003 maxima se automatic started to bog down. I looked down, and was overheated.... Turned out to be a leak in the radiator, just under the air intake. As I was stuck on the highway, I let it cool, filled the radiator with water, then went as far as I could, til overheated again. Had to repeat this process 2 more times to get it home. The next day, I changed the radiator, replaced coolant, tranny fluid, and added oil( like most maximaa, mine burns oil, and I assumed, correctly that even more burnt away due to overheating) I started the car, let it run for 20 or so minutes and all seemed fine, temp stayed steady. I then took it for a 10 mile ride, during which, the car bogged down like it was going to stall twice, and tranny jumped once, but each time, the problem only lasted for seconds and corrected itself. I returned home, checked fluids, all looked good. This morning I went to a store about 15 miles away, had no issues on the way there, but when I started the car to leave, it was very bogged down, idling around 2-300rpm, gave the car a check over, and saw coolant pouring from what seemed to be the exhaust, around the flex pipe before it gets to the catalytic, and pouring fast.... I got the car home, and it was about dry on coolant. I let it cool for 1/2 hr, added water to the radiator, started the car and ran it over an hour without losing a drop. Finally I tried driving it again, went fine for quite a while, but tried running heat to see if that worked, it blew hot only when accelerating, and cooled back down when not. No leaking either, I pulled over frequently to check, and stayed close to home... Finally I noticed the car starting to over heat a little, and not long after, waterworks, same as before, looking as if it was leaking from a hole in the exhaust. As soon as the car was turned off, it would stop, and only happen while running.... This has me very scared, I can work on cars, but diagnosis if not a strong suit for me... This problem leads me to believe it is a huge issue, far from my scope of mechanical work, like a cracked cylinder or block, head gasket maybe... I'm really hoping not, as I can't afford something like that, and love this car... Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.
Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM

Sounds like you have a bad head gasket. You need to confirm this by performing a leak down test before you just assume to worst. Unfortunately when your car first overheated and you kept filling and driving you may have caused this failure. These aluminum blocks can't take that kind of heat.
Old 09-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks, that's kind of what I was assuming too... Does anyone have any experience with the sodium silicate based stop leak products. From all the reviews I've read, there are some widely mixed opinions on the subject, but have heard very little about them causing any further damage, mainly they work, or they don't, sometimes for a few days, others years... I figure it must be worth the investment to try it right? Never really believed in the stuff, but definitely can't afford a head gasket replacement, and wouldn't even dare try it myself. Leads me to think it's worth a shot... Anyone have opinions? Or suggestions on brands?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:07 PM

Car-part.com 2005-2007 engine $800-&1200
Old 09-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

seems like the engine overheat took your head gasket... there are ways to fix, not cheap... a new engine maybe.....
Old 09-06-2014, 03:15 PM

It's your car and your free to try what you want at your own risk. Your only prolonging the inevitable of replacing the gasket (very pricey) or swapping in a low mileage engine (not as pricey, but still expensive). I'm am personally not a fan of additives in my fluids that weren't already in there. My advice is to start saving for an engine replacement once you confirm its a head gasket.