5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

IVT Assembly: OEM or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:26 PM

IVT Assembly: OEM or Aftermarket

I started to get a p0011 every few hundred miles. My research points to the IVT solenoid near the firewall. I went to take a look and found this part to be in like new condition. The previous owner must have had it replaced shortly before selling. I have a good history of service from the dealer but nothing about replacing the IVT assembly. I am thinking it might be a low quality part from autozone and is failing.

My question is, how can I tell who manufactured this part? Will there be a Nissan burger somewhere if its OEM? Are the aftermarkets easily identifiable?

Also, CourtesyParts has the OEM part I need but there are two different ones for 23796+A:
23796-A33B002
and
23796-A33B004
Which one do I need?
Old 09-13-2014, 06:53 PM

Did you actually remove the solenoid or just look at it? Since the solenoid runs off of oil pressure, the oil passages inside the solenoid often get clogged with sludge which will cause it to throw a code. If you remove the solenoid you will see the oil passages on the solenoid and on the engine block (there is a gasket for this as well, make sure you replace it).

As far as differences between OEM and aftermarket, I am not sure about that, although I doubt you will be able to find an aftermarket one to begin with. I had the same code as you when I first bought my Maxima several years ago, but I was unable to find any aftermarket sensors online or at local stores (dealer ended up replacing it since the car was under warranty at the time).

The 2 different part numbers may be just separate part numbers for the bank 1 and bank 2 sensors (firewall side and radiator side). If you call the parts department at your local dealer, they should be able to tell you which one is which.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:12 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try to take it off tomorrow and report back.

As for the part, both numbers are for the same bank. I will call them if I end up buying a new one and ask.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:18 AM
Bad *** Newb

Disassemble it (comes apart in two pieces iirc). That will allow you to clean it properly. You would think by the design that it's easy to clean just by spraying into the holes, but it's not. I found that out the hard way.

I bet it works fine if you do this.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:29 AM

OK I took it off and apart and it looks like no sludge or anything. Looks brand new.

Name:  xtC78h6.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  66.4 KB

What do you guys think?
Old 09-14-2014, 01:10 PM

I forgot to mention this in my first post, but are you burning oil at all? If you are low on oil then the reduced oil pressure can cause that code to appear as well. I would try adding a quart if the level is low, or even just do an oil change then clear the code and see if it comes back.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by stickybones
OK I took it off and apart and it looks like no sludge or anything. Looks brand new.

What do you guys think?
Mine did, too. I had sprayed it multiple times when assembled and it would never work. Two solenoids behaved that way. Took it apart and sprayed the **** out of it. Applied 12v to make sure it actuates and it was working. Reinstalled in car and it's perfect.

I don't question the madness too much if it works.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:51 AM

Ok, I cleaned it out real good and pedal danced that code away. I guess all there is to do now is wait and see if it comes back.
BTW I dont burn oil and my level is where it should be.
Hopefully all will be good. Ill post an update if it does or does not throw another code. Thanks guys.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:54 AM

Update: I forgot to keep track of the miles but it has been over 1000 and no CEL. When I cleaned it I used CRC MAF cleaner. It was all I had but I knew it was safe to use.
Thanks Child_uv_KoRn, looks like you were right. Rock on!
Old 10-09-2014, 03:28 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by stickybones
Update: I forgot to keep track of the miles but it has been over 1000 and no CEL. When I cleaned it I used CRC MAF cleaner. It was all I had but I knew it was safe to use.
Thanks Child_uv_KoRn, looks like you were right. Rock on!
My favorite stuff is brake cleaner. I went through a dozen cans on the engine swap LOL