5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Electrical Issue???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 01:05 PM

Electrical Issue???

I replaces the alternator and battery in July. For the past few months the car will die on me out of nowhere, I will go to the store and when I get back to the car it is dead. When I try to start the car there is no crank, no radio, dome light is on but turns off when I turn the key. Car starts like a charm with a jump start and will drive for a few weeks then will die. I will jump start the car and drive for a few weeks and starts all over. Does anyone know what the issue? If so please help, I am getting annoyed of being stranded.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:20 PM

I would check the battery cables on the battery. make sure that the connections are clean and tight. Also check that there is no corrosion where the cable goes into the battery clamp itself.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:44 PM

Well you said that you have changed both the Battery & Alternator, you clearly still have an issue at either the Alternator not putting out the reguired volts (I beleive that should be 14) or the battery is not putting out 12 volts. As Dennis has said making sure the connections are clean and tight is a good place to start but I would still have the other two items checked to be sure that the proper performance is being given.
Old 10-29-2014, 01:50 PM

I cleaned the terminals the first time it happened so I will check the voltage on the battery and alternator.
Old 10-29-2014, 03:47 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Similar Experience

I had a similar experience. My Max would run/start fine for a week or two and then out of the blue, it appear to be dead with no cranking, but the lights would be on until I turned the key. For me, there was an issue with the battery cables as someone else mentioned. I took them off, cleaned them, made sure they all had contact with each other and haven't had the issue in a couple years now. The replacement battery I used was slightly larger than the old one so the wiring harness had to be bent a little to make it fit. That is probably how the issue started for me.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by mryanmay
The replacement battery I used was slightly larger than the old one so the wiring harness had to be bent a little to make it fit. That is probably how the issue started for me.
I had to bend my negative clamp since it would move when I tightened it all the way. So I will replace the clamp and see if that works. thanks for the input.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:44 AM

Check battery cables, check ground & if it isn't stock find what's leaching the battery so excessively.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:50 AM

Check this out, I think it's your alternator.

Old 10-31-2014, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by erictown
Check this out, I think it's your alternator.

Likely too. My mechanic went through 2 brands before we found one that could last even a day with the dashcam & alarm system.
Old 11-16-2014, 06:27 PM

So I got the battery tested and it tested good just needed a charge. I left the battery at Oreilly Auto Parts and they charged it for free. When I came back an hour later they told me the battery acid started to over flow and would replace it under warranty. Car then started and drove good for a week. Today the car did not crank over at all and had no power. I removed the alternator and battery and got both tested and they passed. I told the auto parts guy my story and he mentioned it could be the starter was going out. I removed the starter and it passed but the auto parts guy stated it was not engaging as fast as it was supposed to and even showed me. I replaced the starter and car had power and started again. I will update in a week.

Can the starter cause this problem?