5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

could i install a y pipe and delete my precats

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:42 PM

could i install a y pipe and delete my precats

i posted a few days ago about obx headers and i decided to go back stock and leave my precats . can i just delete my precats and use a y pipe instead .
im looking at the warspeed .

is there any other options i have or do i have to keep my precat

i was looking earlier in the thread to see if my car is cali or fed and it said under the vin theres some numbers. so im cali right ?

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=1e038x&s=8#.VHvVbBZMcpc

help me lol i know nothing about this cars exhaust . its way different . thanks

Last edited by shawniiebwoiiee; 11-30-2014 at 06:45 PM.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 PM

Well, you certainly can't do that if you live in California - you would not pass the bi-annual emission test that is required to renew your vehicle license. Other states have different rules and tests for emissions, but I know that at least some states (New York, for example) have rules very similar to those in California.
Old 11-30-2014, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Well, you certainly can't do that if you live in California - you would not pass the bi-annual emission test that is required to renew your vehicle license. Other states have different rules and tests for emissions, but I know that at least some states (New York, for example) have rules very similar to those in California.
well my car is insured in florida and i live in new york so i could careless about that im just asking if i could do this mod ?

thanks tho

Last edited by shawniiebwoiiee; 11-30-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:48 PM

I think the y pipe only removes one precat on the 2000 Max. You would need to do some custom work to fab something for the other precat in it's place.

Or, just punch out the precats and use your existing Y pipe. I had mine done at the shops by Citi Field (shea stadium). I forget the name of the shop but found someone who worked there on NYCmaxima board (which doesn't seem to exist anymore).