5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does this look like a radiator leak?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:40 PM

Does this look like a radiator leak?

I replaced the radiator on my 2003 Max about three years ago because it had a leak. Today I noticed the white spots (which I assume to be coolant) on the radiator shown in the picture and am wondering if this means I have a leak again? If so, how can I tell whether the leak is from the radiator or somewhere else? Or is it obvious from the picture that its the radiator that's leaking and needs to be replaced?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 PM

That not salt residue?
Old 01-28-2015, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by george__
That not salt residue?
Hah! good point, i'll verify that. I assumed it was coolant since my coolant level has gone low and my heat stops working at idle. It could be salt since we've been getting snow here lately and roads have been salted.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by shobuddy
hah! Good point, i'll verify that. I assumed it was coolant since my coolant level has gone low and my heat stops working at idle. It could be salt since we've been getting snow here lately and roads have been salted.
:d
Old 01-28-2015, 08:26 PM

Hah! good point, i'll verify that. I assumed it was coolant since my coolant level has gone low and my heat stops working at idle. It could be salt since we've been getting snow here lately and roads have been salted.
Still should clean it up bring the car to operating temp....at this point you could see if it's leaking (or smells like coolant leaking)
Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 PM

I replaced the radiator on my 2003 Max about three years ago because it had a leak. Today I noticed the white spots (which I assume to be coolant) on the radiator shown in the picture and am wondering if this means I have a leak again? If so, how can I tell whether the leak is from the radiator or somewhere else? Or is it obvious from the picture that its the radiator that's leaking and needs to be replaced?
Looks like winter Are you losing the coolant- spots under the car, smell, level in expansion tank? Most likely not- just wash it if it bothers you.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by Max_5gen
Looks like winter Are you losing the coolant- spots under the car, smell, level in expansion tank? Most likely not- just wash it if it bothers you.
I am loosing coolant. Wiped it clean today. Will add coolant tomorrow and see if it comes back. Car is also not giving heat when idling so I'm still suspecting coolant but will see if it comes back after refill and cleaning.
Old 01-29-2015, 04:30 AM

^^ That looks more like radiator leak than road salt to me

We've had a bunch of snow and tons of salt here, my car is all white from salt right now and I have never seen nothing like that under the hood unless it was a coolant leak.

You can always drive the car and do a visual inspection of the radiator right afterwards, you might see the leak then.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM

What is the "correct" way to top off the radiator? Do you fill the reservoir, the radiator itself or both?
Old 01-29-2015, 02:33 PM

What is the "correct" way to top off the radiator? Do you fill the reservoir, the radiator itself or both?
Two options
1.Wait till the car is cooled down all the way.

2.open radiator cap and fill to the top.close the cap.

3.fill reservoir to the full line.

1.apply the e-brake.

2.jack up the car from the front center beam.(i didn't raise it off the ground,just enough for it to be at an angle).

3.start the car

4.quickly open the radiator cap and fill as needed(once level no longer drops wait till there no more burping bubble and close the top.

Done.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

When the car is cool take off your cap and then start your car and let it idle as you add coolant. Keep adding and watch for air bubbles and keep topping off until the thermostat kicks in. This will draw more coolant when it does open.

After the car has idled for some time and at running temperature and no more bubbles show, then replace cap.

This is called "burping" you coolant system. You do not want air trapped in it and you will continue to have problems if you dont purge it.

If you havent done so already change your radiator cap. You will be surprised on how may coolant issues occur because of this. You never know.

Good luck and I hope you find a quick, cheap fix.
Old 01-29-2015, 08:32 PM

...I had a very similar visual situation lately as well. My moneys on radiator crack and spraying under pressure.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
...I had a very similar visual situation lately as well. My moneys on radiator crack and spraying under pressure.
Likewise
Old 01-31-2015, 11:03 PM

^Ah yes stillwell you were the first one i sent the pics to when mine busted. i remember it like it was yesterday lol.

Mine; among most cracks on the oem rad happen on the top plastic portion; check near the cap real well; around the flat nissan logo part. This is the common crack area. A hairline crack may not be visible but keep an eye for bubbles when hot/and steam on a cold day.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:22 PM

heat stops working at idle? sounds like thermostat. But yes, it appears that that is salt. I currently have a leak on my auto in the same spot and its just green coolant; doesn't turn white.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:37 PM

coolant evaporating and drying=known to turn white regardless of color coolant.
gl
Old 02-01-2015, 05:37 AM

^Ah yes stillwell you were the first one i sent the pics to when mine busted. i remember it like it was yesterday lol.
Yes indeed. And you didn't wanna believe it at first, and I said trust me this just happened to me lol

I dont think theres any Maxima 5th gens that dont have this problem at some point.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM

Check you heater core and water pump, if there is not heat at idle it could mean that coolant is not cycling enough to warm your incoming air or that the heater core has a crack that leaks under pressure or is plugged solid. That looks like salt to me, something you can do is scrap it all off into a small container and add water and see what color it turns. If its the color of your coolant than yes its a coolant leak.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Striker2237
Check you heater core and water pump, if there is not heat at idle it could mean that coolant is not cycling enough to warm your incoming air or that the heater core has a crack that leaks under pressure or is plugged solid. That looks like salt to me, something you can do is scrap it all off into a small container and add water and see what color it turns. If its the color of your coolant than yes its a coolant leak.
If that much salt or whatever gets into your engine thru the front, then I'd say you have some front end problems.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:32 AM

Car is definitely leaking coolant. I topped off the radiator and the reservoir(to a shade above the max line) last week and reservoir is now well below the min line. Will see if my co-worker who moonlights as a mechanic can trace the leak.
Old 02-02-2015, 01:19 PM

try one of those pressure gauges that goes on the radiator in place of the cap and pump pressure into the system..it will show where the leak oozes out in a greenish color,,do it when the thermostat is open,,
Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 PM

A common point of failure on our radiator is the seal around the top of the radiator itself. Pop your hood, turn your car on, and wait to see if coolant begins to seep out around the seal.

Easiest thing you could do on your own.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Yes indeed. And you didn't wanna believe it at first, and I said trust me this just happened to me lol

I dont think theres any Maxima 5th gens that dont have this problem at some point.
Mine went years ago. Very well taken care of too.
Nissan just cheaped out on this part.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:48 PM

i quoted myself theres useful information below...

Mine; among most cracks on the oem rad happen on the top plastic portion; check near the cap real well; around the flat nissan logo part. This is the common crack area. A hairline crack may not be visible but keep an eye for bubbles when hot/and steam on a cold day.