5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Bob Lutz on Nissan

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 06:35 PM

Bob Lutz on Nissan

Go to MSN's Car Point, and there is a streamed video of Lutz critiquing the Xterra, Altima and Z.
Old 01-24-2002, 07:01 PM

Re: Bob Lutz on Nissan

Originally posted by martinf
Go to MSN's Car Point, and there is a streamed video of Lutz critiquing the Xterra, Altima and Z.
56k owns me

What does he say?
Old 01-24-2002, 07:17 PM
swallac2

I agreed with most of what he said. The Altima is pretty, the interior is cheap. The Xterra doesn't try to be pretty, but in conveys the proper attitude. The Z though, I disagree with him on. I think the Z, at least from the pics I have seen, is pretty and fairly original. That Ford, NO WAY. HEY JOE CAR EXEC, QUIT TRYING TO SELL ME UPDATES OF MY FATERS OLDSMOBILE!!! I HATE the retro thing that is going on. Old cars are big, clunky boats. Why in the hell would I want that.

Old 01-24-2002, 07:24 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

I agreed with everything he said about the Nissan styling, EXCEPT the Frontier. I think those fender flairs with the fake fasteners are totally lame. The truck equivalent of
Old 01-24-2002, 07:45 PM

Nevermind you don't have to watch the vid...

I agree with him but I don't see any weird lines in the Z...
Old 01-25-2002, 12:25 PM

I would probably side with Mr Lutz. You may not like his words or the suit he wears, but he has good ideas and insights. He contributed greatly to the Viper, you know, that ugly weak car. ;-)
Old 01-25-2002, 01:13 PM

Hey- Give Mr. Lutz A Little Slack...

After all, he is working for GM now. Talk about a step down!

GM: maker of hideously styled, defective junk like the Aztek. The guy has his work cut out for him...

GM
Old 01-26-2002, 01:28 PM

Re: Hey- Give Mr. Lutz A Little Slack...

Originally posted by 2k1GrayMaxSE
After all, he is working for GM now. Talk about a step down!

GM: maker of hideously styled, defective junk like the Aztek. The guy has his work cut out for him...

GM
Old 01-26-2002, 01:31 PM

Ok, a GM guy is making comments about cheap interiors? OMG, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Look at the crappy plastics of the Grand Prix, Grand Am, and F bodies, and just about everything else they put out...The $hit feels cheap and by the way, I hope you like rattles

Originally posted by swallac2
I agreed with most of what he said. The Altima is pretty, the interior is cheap.
Old 01-26-2002, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
Ok, a GM guy is making comments about cheap interiors? OMG, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black? Look at the crappy plastics of the Grand Prix, Grand Am, and F bodies, and just about everything else they put out...The $hit feels cheap and by the way, I hope you like rattles

I have to agree with you. My grandmother just bought a 2001 Buick LeSabre and that thing is a rattling, squeeking, mushy pile of $H!T. EVERYTHING that you touch in that car squeeks or creaks! It is unbelievable! The back seat is uncomfortable....I never could find a comfortable driving position....the rear seat window controls do not illuminuate for the rear passengers. The climate control fan squeeks! I need to take Dramamine when I ride in it because of the bouncy suspension. I could go on and on! All that for about 27K. This car has less that 12,000 miles!

This car makes me appreciate my Maxima even more!
Old 01-26-2002, 04:36 PM

My friends 98 Grand Am GT is built well...no rattles or squeaks. Same with a friends Silverado...but the plastics they use
Old 01-26-2002, 04:51 PM

The rattles are what drive me insane. Before deciding that I really wanted a Maxima, I drove just about every car under the sun-One of which was a '99 GTP. It had like 33K on it, and the motherchucka was rattling like crazy...Worse on uneven pavement. I think overall, they really need to get their act together as regards quality control

Originally posted by Ludacris
My friends 98 Grand Am GT is built well...no rattles or squeaks. Same with a friends Silverado...but the plastics they use
Old 01-26-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by Trev_Daddy
The rattles are what drive me insane. Before deciding that I really wanted a Maxima, I drove just about every car under the sun-One of which was a '99 GTP. It had like 33K on it, and the motherchucka was rattling like crazy...Worse on uneven pavement. I think overall, they really need to get their act together as regards quality control

What'd the salesman say when the car was rattling like that? lol
Old 01-26-2002, 05:02 PM

I drove it by myself..Then when I brought it back, I just said, "Yeah, it's a nice car...I just have one other car to drive...A Maxima."

Originally posted by Ludacris

What'd the salesman say when the car was rattling like that? lol
Old 01-26-2002, 09:56 PM

My father presently has a Z-71 Chevy truck. It is several years old and he 4-wheels in it. Never had any problems and it remains solid. My family has always had Chevy's and they have been solid. I think it depends on how you care for it. I think Chevy will make a big comeback.
Old 01-26-2002, 10:15 PM

gm...

i agree with most of what you guys have said about, gm, but i think your forgetting that lutz just recently took the helm of that disaster....give him a chance, they are already making strides in q.c. and development....im with mdeal in saying that gm is gonna make a comeback.....lutz knows his obstacles, and hes smart....just keep watching...give it time
Old 01-27-2002, 10:16 PM

Re: gm...

I totally agree with what you are saying-Lutz is the man when it comes to interesting, fun, and sport-oriented vehicles. I already think that GM has some decent "sport" cars...They just need to do better on build quality. I just thought it was ironic that he was criticizing Nissan for "cheap" interiors lol

Most of the GM's that I've come across (friends and family) have been reliable as far as mechanical things goes...

Trevor

Originally posted by imccasli
i agree with most of what you guys have said about, gm, but i think your forgetting that lutz just recently took the helm of that disaster....give him a chance, they are already making strides in q.c. and development....im with mdeal in saying that gm is gonna make a comeback.....lutz knows his obstacles, and hes smart....just keep watching...give it time