5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

03 6 speed BHG/ or lucky enough for thermostat...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 12:07 AM

03 6 speed BHG/ or lucky enough for thermostat...

Heading home from visiting the in laws in my 2003 6 speed, cruisin in sixth and the engine starts bucking and shuddering hard, drop to neutral and pull over, wait a bit and creep off in second ok so i pull out on the highway and soon a sI hit 4th it starts bucking hard again. So I creep up to a gas station at the next exit thinkin i ran out of gas i was freaking. Get there and it only took 8 gallons (broke gas gauge) so I was like damn. Pulled off and shifted ok in the street but soon as I \hit the on ramp and 4th gear it started smoking real bad from the back, white smoke. Now im stuck on the on ramp so i creep in second gear to a police turn around and head back to the off ramp and gas station. Creeping slow in 1st and 2nd ok but if i hit the gas it bucks hard shudders etc... Get to the top of the ramp and she dies out completely. Only cranks on attempted restart.

Huge billow of white smoke from front and huge one from the back. Pushed it into the gas station and waited , she started up immediately so i shut her off and left my baby. gonna find a tow tomorrow....

Any chance its just a thermostat or bad radiator and not BHG?

Sure smelled like roasted coolant. My radiator had small leak at the top of it but i kept it topped off and never overheated once until today...

From reading here I should look for milky or tan oil tomorrow and try starting the car with the radiator cap off to see if it shoots out fluid to diagnose bhg?

165k miles, ran like a champ strong and hard.

If it is BHG I seen another 03 6 speed with 125k miles for 3500... Mine needs suspension work anyway and has a rough body so if it is blown thinkin get the new one eventually when I get money together and keep this old girl for parts... Thoughts?

I had been topping off the radiator and it never overheated before, a little leaking coolant from the top smoking set us off to the problem. New baby on the way so I didnt have money to get the radiator fixed yet. Wife reminded me to top it off before i left but I forgot... It might have been bone dry but if so how would coolant be burning from the exhaust if there was none in it and it was dry? I think I blew it tho... too dark and confused on the side of the highway to check oil or anything... well see tomorrow hopefully..

I loved that car *slams face desk* I been reaidn on here like crazy, check oil color and start with radiator cap off to see if it spews? good ideas?
Old 06-07-2015, 05:38 PM

Well they wanted 300 to tow it out of there so going for a uhaul towing dolly tomorrow. Its only 50 bucks.
Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 AM

Well 20 hours labor for bhg, 17.9 for engine replacement they are telling me.

Can anyone help me find a good engine for around a 1000 or so with warranty? Seems like If im gonna pay should get one in that 1000 or slighltyl better range, the 500-700 ones I seen seem like a risk.

With the baby coming in august I need something solid.
Guy at a shop in town the car is in says 1500 plus fluids to swap motors.

If anyone has any ideas or can point me toward a good engine please let me know.
Old 06-08-2015, 11:28 AM

-Check the dipstick for chocolate milk.
-Start the car and see if you get niagra falls out of the radiator
-Or have the radiator fluid tested for exhaust gases (Shop thing, or maybe they sell em OTC @ oreily's)
One of the aforementioned three is a good sign of a warped head (Headgaskets rarely blow on these cars).

AS for the replacement motor, Where do you live and do you have a commercial address?

Last edited by aackshun; 06-08-2015 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:21 PM

I'm in Chicago, the car is in Clinton IL with Pops. Over nighted him the key and hell back off the road from drivin his truck tomorrow so he's gonna check it out for me.

Commercial Address? Not sure, There is a business in the building under me but it's not mine, other than my office address.
Old 06-08-2015, 01:23 PM

Shop down there says he'll swap a motor for me for 1500 plus fluids if we end up goin that route.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:44 PM

Well pops saids the radiator is competely dry and he sees the seal is completely busted. Also weird crap... he says it was bone dry on oil...
Now I am 3700 miles from the last oil change and put a quart in last week, she only burns less than a little less than a quart in 3000k miles... no oil light on ... very confused right now...

Pops says he thinks the motor is ok just need a new radiator... we'll see.
Old 06-09-2015, 03:50 PM

So first thing is first. Any advice on a radiator guys?

600 for a generic at autozone doesnt seem appealing...
Old 06-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by tonygreen
So first thing is first. Any advice on a radiator guys?

600 for a generic at autozone doesnt seem appealing...
Koyo Rad Group Deal - $106.36 shipped.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:36 PM

If you were cruisin on the interstate in 6th and your engine was bone dry, well... I dont see how your engine will be ok.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:18 PM

Me either lol...

I called and asked him again and he says it was a little on the dip stick but real low and the color looked ok but with that little to see....

I'm prepping for the worse. If he thinks its just the radiator idk... sounds good but idk.

Says it completely separated from the seal, I bet that happened when it finally died out and that huge steam came from the front.

But it was white smokin like a woodstove out the back before that...

Guess we'll know more when this radiator comes in. Thanks for the link btw.

Last edited by tonygreen; 06-09-2015 at 06:31 PM.