5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just want to be crystal clear on what to order for a new exhaust setup.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 AM

Just want to be crystal clear on what to order for a new exhaust setup.

I've searched and searched and I've seen different results, so I just want to be totally clear on what I need to order.

From what I can tell, headers are not an option. So I will go with:

Warpspeed Y-pipe
Custom pipe to cat
Flowmaster/Magnaflow/Bosal high flow cat
??? for resonator (should I just get an eBay one for $60? What exactly does this do? If I delete this will my car be really loud?)
Custom pipe to muffler
Junkyard 3" muffler I picked up for $10.

I don't want anything loud. I have three kids, so I want to keep it on the quieter side. My main concern is getting rid of the service engine light and I would like to boost performance a little bit. I am not interested in a test pipe or gutting any of the cats.

If I get the Warpspeed y-pipe, do I still put in 02 sensors? Thanks for the help!
Old 07-06-2015, 01:16 PM

How come headers aren't an option? If you want to boost performance without adding a lot of noise, then headers and a high flow cat would be your best bet. A 3" catback will add power, but it will also add a LOT of noise. As far as an ses goes with headers, you can get some o2 sims wired in or try and add some o2 spacers. Headers will also get rid of your precats which is a good thing. My setup right now is a custom intake, 5 piece nwp spacer kit, obx headers, 3 inch high flow cat, and 3 inch BRM catback. Even with my 18x6" resonator and my 14" muffler it is loud as heck! And it drones big time between 2,000-2,500 RPM's. (This is on my 3.5, so your's may not be as loud since it's a 3.0)
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 PM

First off, I can't really afford headers. Also, I've heard Cattman no longer makes them and I've heard bad reviews of OBX.

I called my local exhaust shop today and they said they don't make headers. They can do everything else though. I'm thinking of getting the Warpspeed Y-Pipe and whatever the best high flow cat is.

I was also wondering about the resonator. What purpose does that serve? I found one on eBay for $60. Is that something I can just delete or will that make it too loud?
Old 07-06-2015, 10:09 PM

For me, my headers were the cheapest part of my exhaust setup. Even cheaper for you since you have the 3.0L. Here's a link for OBX's: http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h10942s.html (only $315). As far as OBX quality, that's what I have and they've been great! When I installed them, all I had to trim was the rear motor mount bracket. Everything else fit perfectly.

As far as high flow cats go, the best is to get one with a metal core; they last longer and they generally have a lower cell per square inch ratio. But a heavy loaded high flow cat will still be really good. Just make sure it's stainless steel.

A resonator is basically just another muffler welded inline on your exhaust setup. It's after the cat and before the b pipe. It helps quiet the exhaust down, eliminate rasp, and make the drone not quite as bad. However, if you're not doing a catback, it's not as necessary as it would be if you were. If you decide to get a new resonator anyways, get a magnaflow and make sure it's a straight-through perforated core resonator.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by IsaacFall
For me, my headers were the cheapest part of my exhaust setup. Even cheaper for you since you have the 3.0L. Here's a link for OBX's: http://www.sparktecmotorsports.com/h10942s.html (only $315). As far as OBX quality, that's what I have and they've been great! When I installed them, all I had to trim was the rear motor mount bracket. Everything else fit perfectly.

As far as high flow cats go, the best is to get one with a metal core; they last longer and they generally have a lower cell per square inch ratio. But a heavy loaded high flow cat will still be really good. Just make sure it's stainless steel.

A resonator is basically just another muffler welded inline on your exhaust setup. It's after the cat and before the b pipe. It helps quiet the exhaust down, eliminate rasp, and make the drone not quite as bad. However, if you're not doing a catback, it's not as necessary as it would be if you were. If you decide to get a new resonator anyways, get a magnaflow and make sure it's a straight-through perforated core resonator.
Pretty sure the obx headers and equal length y pipe is on back order atm