5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Overheating??? Weird?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:49 PM
acw

Overheating??? Weird?

Hey buds...(wow is this car tricky or what?)

I have a coolant leak issue that I thought I had solved. I changed the top radiator hose and radiator cap....but I'm still losing water ( goes low every 2 weeks now). But never that low (in my mind) to cause a car temp gauge to run at 3/4 or higher. Anyway, I pull over and turn the car off when the temp gauge gets high. After 10 min., I open the cap (with a thick rag) and add bout 1/3 gallon water....AND THATS IT. The radiator water levels seem to be back to normal n the car runs at normal temp for bout 2-3 weeks??? Then it starts again???

This is weirding me out??

Anyone know what's going on with this issue?

The reservoir tank is at its min level when it overheats....btw.

Anyone???

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2015, 07:01 PM

It's hard to say how low the coolant level has to get before the engine starts to overheat, but it really isn't that much. The fact that you have to keep adding coolant is the thing to deal with.

You need to check every hose connection very closely. The radiator is a weak point on our cars, have you carefully inspected all around the top tank where it is crimped onto the cooling fins? Many times the radiator leaks but it is a slow enough leak that the coolant evaporates before it can drip on the ground. Sometimes it sprays on the engine and leaves the engine looking like mud was splashed on it.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:26 PM

the tank in my Maxima's like almost empty and it's not over heating... FLuid levels fluctuate weekly (I check engine oil level every week) but the car doesn't overheat...

There's a leak somewhere, check the hose clamps and the hose itself (if it is very brittle just replace it)

Last edited by george__; 07-18-2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by acw
Anyone know what's going on with this issue?!
Yes, you still have a leak somewhere. I would wipe down all hoses that carry antifreeze to/from the radiator/engine and then start the car and let the pressure build up in radiator. Then check all those same hoses for fluid as they would have been previously dry. Also, make sure not to burn yourself .
Old 07-19-2015, 05:24 AM
acw

Thanks buds....

I got up this morning and the reservoir tank was empty...so I filled it to max level line. I also added some water to tank (not too much).

At this rate of fluid loss, I don't know. Like I said, my mechanic just changed the top hose with new clamps. And I don't see any residue anywhere.... I'll check again today.

1. Should I be adding coolant only or is water good enough?

2. Also, is it possible head gasket is cracked? I don't notice any power loss so I don't think it's that? Also, don't notice any water on oil dip stick?

Last edited by acw; 07-19-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:20 AM

You want to add a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water. If it was a small amount one time, it wouldn't matter.

You need the chemicals in antifreeze to prevent rust and corrosion inside the engine. If you don't want to keep buying expensive antifreeze, then you can get a bottle of water pump lubricant that has the chemicals.

You don't want to run pure antifreeze, either. It doesn't conduct/transfer heat as well as water does.

Could you have a blown head gasket? Anything is possible, but a blown head gasket isn't that common unless the engine really over heated. The exact spot of where the head fails determines the symptoms. If it fails around the cylinder, then you could have performance problems. If the gasket fails around a water passage, the engine coolant will leak to some other spot. It could leak into an oil passage and you will have water in your oil. The coolant could also leak out onto the ground. I had a car that did that.

I'm sure you have a leak, otherwise the coolant level wouldn't be dropping all the time. I'm disappointed that your mechanic can't find it. Maybe you should rent/borrow a cooling system pressure tester. It is basically a manually operated air pump that goes on in place of the radiator cap. It has a pressure gauge so you know how much pressure to use. The cooling system runs at 15 psi. You pump it up and leave it for a couple of hours or a day or what ever you feel is appropriate. If everything is good, the gauge will read the same a day later.

In your situation, you could pump it up to maybe 20 psi and be looking for a leak
Old 07-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Yes pressure test or have your mechanic run the test. He really should have pressure tested by this time anyhow to verify the leak had been fixed.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 PM

Explain better....does it overheat? You said that you pull over when it does but then you said it doesn't go past 3\4 to higher. Where does it go... Needle when you pull over? Long drives short drives etc..? I would burp the system better, lift the front of the car up when its cold, put the heat on full blast and then pour more in and leave the cap off till it goes down and you hear that bubbles sound, then fill again. Do this for twenty min while the car is raised with the cap off. Air in there IMO.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:04 PM

Check for leaks around the overflow tank. The tanks get very brittle over time and may be leaking near the bottom.

Clean everything up really well and and look for white spots after driving.

Definitely add antifreeze and water. Water alone will cause a lot of problems.

Check your oil and make sure it doesn't look like chocolate milk.
Open the radiator and start the car. See if the radiator is pressurized and bubbling.
Both of those would be signs of a blown head gasket.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:35 PM
acw

Originally Posted by BronxSleeperMax187
Explain better....does it overheat? You said that you pull over when it does but then you said it doesn't go past 3\4 to higher. Where does it go... Needle when you pull over? Long drives short drives etc..? I would burp the system better, lift the front of the car up when its cold, put the heat on full blast and then pour more in and leave the cap off till it goes down and you hear that bubbles sound, then fill again. Do this for twenty min while the car is raised with the cap off. Air in there IMO.
Hey Brox,

Right now i am not driving the car until this problem is solved (fortunately, i have an old Nissan PU that i can use---and have been). When i see the needle rising to 3/4----I immediately put the heat on FULL BLAST....and look for a spot to pull over. The Needle then drops down to 1/2. I just changed the oil last month, and now the oil is dark from the car frequently over-heating...so that's gotta be done again (sigh).

• The other night, i ran the car, parked in the driveway for 20 mins. I pulled out my flashlight and noticed water dripping down at the connection point of the lower radiator Hose and Radiator (but it was dark--so not 100% sure where it was coming from).
  • SO...this morning, I ran the car to double check the leak, and it DIDN'T FRIGGIN LEAK...!
  • ..the car never got hot ?
  • Wat da ???
  • Now, i'm thinking i SHOULD rent a pressure tester and see what i come up with.

Weird----?

Last edited by acw; 08-01-2015 at 12:38 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 12:46 PM

And I thought I bought a Lemon lol
Old 08-01-2015, 01:57 PM
acw

Originally Posted by george__
And I thought I bought a Lemon lol
You do have a lemon...between your Ears!

Last edited by acw; 08-01-2015 at 03:18 PM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by acw
Hey Brox,

Right now i am not driving the car until this problem is solved (fortunately, i have an old Nissan PU that i can use---and have been). When i see the needle rising to 3/4----I immediately put the heat on FULL BLAST....and look for a spot to pull over. The Needle then drops down to 1/2. I just changed the oil last month, and now the oil is dark from the car frequently over-heating...so that's gotta be done again (sigh).

• The other night, i ran the car, parked in the driveway for 20 mins. I pulled out my flashlight and noticed water dripping down at the connection point of the lower radiator Hose and Radiator (but it was dark--so not 100% sure where it was coming from).
  • SO...this morning, I ran the car to double check the leak, and it DIDN'T FRIGGIN LEAK...!
  • ..the car never got hot ?
  • Wat da ???
  • Now, i'm thinking i SHOULD rent a pressure tester and see what i come up with.

Weird----?
You may be able to borrow a pressure tester from some of the large auto parts stores. Some have tool loan plans where you leave a deposit (price of the tool) and take the it with no overall charge if you return it.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 08-05-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 02:09 PM
acw

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
You may be able to borrow a pressure tester from some of the large auto parts stores. Some have tool loan plans where you leave a deposit (price of the tool) and take the it with no overall charge if you return it.
yes..thanks.

I borrowed one from Advanced...found a small leak. Started a Thread.