5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: With the headlights off and you pull back the stalk to flash the brights and...
Just the halogen high beams turn on
28.57%
Both the low and high beams turn on
71.43%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for a how to on separating low/high beams

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Looking for a how to on separating low/high beams

So what I am looking for is a way to use the high beams exclusively when the low beams are off and keeping everything looking stock. I want to be able to flash my brights during the day and not fire up the HIDs. I searched but didn't find anything this specific. Thank you.

Fat_Kid
Old 01-12-2016, 08:11 PM

If all you want to do is flash the bright lights, you pull the light switch stem towards you. It will not stay in the forward position, it goes back when you let go.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:22 PM

I'll double check but i'm 99% sure they fire in both positions.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:32 AM
dot dot dot ...

My HID's don't fire up when I pull the lever back and my headlights are off. If I have my low beams on, then that's a different story, the halogen high beams fire up, HID's stay on and the fogs turn off.
Old 01-13-2016, 02:18 PM

With the car on and with no lights on, when I hold the stalk to the PASS position the highs and lows turn on. Confirmed that is its function.

Anyone else to chime in?

As far as I know the headlight wiring has not been messed with.

The fog lights have been modified to run independent and a separate switch added, not sure what procedure was done to do so.

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-21-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:26 PM

I was looking at the headlight schematic in the 2002 second edition FSM and it would appear that the HID low beam will come on. When the headlight relays (one for the left head lamp, one for the right head lamp) are energized by the SECU, power is sent to both the low beam and the high beam lamps. The other side of the HID low beam lamp is connected to ground, so it will light when ever the relay is energized. The other side of the high beam lamp goes to the switch on the steering column and then to ground.

I can envision a mod that would use a relay to open the circuit and cut off power to the HID low beam that would do the job when the headlights are off, but it would also cut off the low beam when the headlights were on. So in reality, I can't do it.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I was looking at the headlight schematic in the 2002 second edition FSM and it would appear that the HID low beam will come on. When the headlight relays (one for the left head lamp, one for the right head lamp) are energized by the SECU, power is sent to both the low beam and the high beam lamps. The other side of the HID low beam lamp is connected to ground, so it will light when ever the relay is energized. The other side of the high beam lamp goes to the switch on the steering column and then to ground.

I can envision a mod that would use a relay to open the circuit and cut off power to the HID low beam that would do the job when the headlights are off, but it would also cut off the low beam when the headlights were on. So in reality, I can't do it.
Originally Posted by NmexMAX
My HID's don't fire up when I pull the lever back and my headlights are off. If I have my low beams on, then that's a different story, the halogen high beams fire up, HID's stay on and the fogs turn off.
Is that confirmed?

Through what was stated above, why would our's behave differently?

Poll added

No one else to chime in on the function of their headlamps?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-21-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:28 PM

Just saw this today. Everything turns on although I own the canadian version with the drls so i dont know if that makes any difference. Thank god its this way as my entire headlights would turn off if i turned on my brights. Or my dual retrofit would be useless like **** on a bull.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:59 AM

Hmm.

No one else to take the poll?

Any other poll takers?

Last edited by NmexMAX; 01-21-2016 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:38 PM

I did the retrofit in my 01 Maxima where I put a set of 03 headlights and at the begin both H and L beams turned on when I pulled back the stalk. But I founded a diagram where you can separate high and low beams. Let me search in my archives if I got that schematic.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:43 PM

That would be awesome.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:12 AM
dot dot dot ...

Ok, so just a quick and dirty, yes my HID's do come on too. Not cool for the bulbs/ballasts and stuff.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flanker84
I did the retrofit in my 01 Maxima where I put a set of 03 headlights and at the begin both H and L beams turned on when I pulled back the stalk. But I founded a diagram where you can separate high and low beams. Let me search in my archives if I got that schematic.
Any luck finding that schematic?

Ok, so just a quick and dirty, yes my HID's do come on too. Not cool for the bulbs/ballasts and stuff.
Don't forget to vote!
Old 01-22-2016, 08:05 AM

stop flashing people ... no need for the wriring....

but really what about flashing High beams do you feel is such a priority, is it something you really need?
Old 01-22-2016, 08:33 AM
dot dot dot ...

I was of the opinion he didn't want his HID's turning on and off. But yeah, I hardly ever flash people since my fogs are HID's and well I just said that it sucks for the bulbs.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

but really what about flashing High beams do you feel is such a priority, is it something you really need?
In some situations you NEED to flash others, specially when you drive in a highway and the opposite direction cars got the high beams and need to make them note that the high beams anoys you.
Old 01-22-2016, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99

Why does it matter to you? There are times during the day that I would like to use my brights to signal others, IE it's your turn dummy at the intersection.

You're probably one of those guys that thinks it's ok to have HID entry headlights activate when you unlock the car just for them to refire when you start the car. SMH.

I was of the opinion he didn't want his HID's turning on and off. But yeah, I hardly ever flash people since my fogs are HID's and well I just said that it sucks for the bulbs.
+1

I dont have to worry about that becuase my fogs are independent.

In some situations you NEED to flash others, specially when you drive in a highway and the opposite direction cars got the high beams and need to make them note that the high beams anoys you.
That is true but my headlights would already be on so i wouldn't be worried about that usage.
Old 01-22-2016, 02:02 PM

but your low beams would be on already so what's the difference?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by TallTom
but your low beams would be on already so what's the difference?
I wonder if the headlights are smart enough to not refire when they are on and when the brights are on.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by fat_kid
I wonder if the headlights are smart enough to not refire when they are on and when the brights are on.
The lights are on and they don't go off, so there is no re-fire.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Got Retrofit?

555 timer and a relay.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:59 AM

Yes but under the presumption that if they fire when off with the high beams being activated, so if the headlights are on already and you activate the high beams I guess that ballast knows the headlights are on and won't try to refire.

Originally Posted by ChrisMan287
555 timer and a relay.
Please expand.
Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM

Yes but under the presumption that if they fire when off with the high beams being activated, so if the headlights are on already and you activate the high beams I guess that ballast knows the headlights are on and won't try to refire.
The HIDs know to "fire" when 12 volt electrical current is first applied to the ballast. The ballast is a type of transformer that produces an initial high voltage pulse to the HID lamp to make it light. Once the lamp is lit, it no longer needs that extra bit of high voltage and remains lit by just the 12 volt current, the high voltage of the pulse is not needed. As long as the 12 volt current continues to be supplied to the HID interrupted, another pulse to fire the HID will not be generated.

So when the lights are already on as in night time driving, flashing the brights has no effect on the HIDs.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:14 AM

Why does it matter to you? There are times during the day that I would like to use my brights to signal others, IE it's your turn dummy at the intersection.

You're probably one of those guys that thinks it's ok to have HID entry headlights activate when you unlock the car just for them to refire when you start the car. SMH.
i just asked, i didn't have a trolling ulterior motive as you defensively assumed.. man u must have experienced a lot of hate on to you to react to a simple "why is this so important to you" , or maybe you really know this is a pipe dream not worth the time and you are trying to justify it by being defensive and make it seem legit.

and no I am the kinda guy that likes practicality and not putting HID's where they never belonged....

end of the day, IMO the amount of times a normal driver flashes high beams to the effort one would put into this... best wishes... and keep us posted ! it would be nice to see the end game. (yes seriously)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:48 PM

If you don't have anything to contribute, please stay out of the thread. That's why I asked why it matters to you.

And not a pipe dream if it has been done before by at least one person in this thread.
Old 03-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Do you have the schematic?