5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

TSB NTB02-051a (P0138)

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 09:12 PM

TSB NTB02-051a (P0138)

What are the other Maxima owners thoughts about this Code P0138?

Last edited by maximatech12; 05-13-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 06:37 PM

your fuse pop or what is it?
Old 05-14-2016, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
your fuse pop or what is it?
One of the questions was does the new ECM 5Y061RE apply to the NTB now that the original 5Y010 has been fried?
Old 05-15-2016, 03:17 AM

At this point in time, I think you have a simple O2 sensor failure. O2 sensors don't last forever.

Nissan was a bit over-sensitive on the monitoring which would cause the code to pop up intermittently and re-programming the ECU would stop that (supposedly). Toss in the fact that you have a rebuilt ECU and I bet you have the new programming.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:24 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by dennismik
at this point in time, i think you have a simple o2 sensor failure. O2 sensors don't last forever.

Nissan was a bit over-sensitive on the monitoring which would cause the code to pop up intermittently and re-programming the ecu would stop that (supposedly). Toss in the fact that you have a rebuilt ecu and i bet you have the new programming.
get out of here with your logic!
Old 05-15-2016, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
At this point in time, I think you have a simple O2 sensor failure. O2 sensors don't last forever.

Nissan was a bit over-sensitive on the monitoring which would cause the code to pop up intermittently and re-programming the ECU would stop that (supposedly). Toss in the fact that you have a rebuilt ECU and I bet you have the new programming.
Then why would it emphasize that the cars have a standard airflow meter? The reprogramming seems to be a serious procedure to prevent something bad! I would be very concerned with this issue if I had a P0138
Old 05-15-2016, 05:17 PM

I started getting the P0138 on my 2k Max after about 110K miles. If the re-programming of the ECU was so critically important, I would have expected to get the code a lot earlier. Since the TSB is dated back in 2002, that means that some cars were getting the code real early mileage wise.

As for that airflow meter stuff, I don't know how to tell a car with it and without it. So as I said, I think this is more of a natural failure. If you want to play it safe, then go have the dealer re-program your ECU.
Old 05-15-2016, 07:03 PM

Bridgestone already took care of the P0138 with out the update. Three weeks later... ECU fried. Not connecting the two however the damage... IACV circuit. What would anyone think? Just a coincidence?

Who wouldn't want to play it safe?

Nissan claims engine mounts shorted IACV circuit.

I never accused anyone of anything however I don't want to re-live this nightmare.

It is very possible that there was a coincidence and the ECM/IACV whatever it was would've inevitably went out anyway.

Last edited by maximatech12; 05-16-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 09:43 PM
Bad *** Newb

Coolant shorted it, end of story. There's no reason to even delve into what ifs that have never been reported before (and don't make sense).
Old 05-16-2016, 04:40 AM

Because it's buried under the duct I can't even see the thing your talking about.

I just assumed the engineer would've had the sense to prevent that.

If that's the case every Maxima owner that ever bought one will have this issue! P0505

I am in the process of moving on from it.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:28 AM

Old 05-16-2016, 10:45 AM

Id love to believe its just coolant but Even the damage to the driver that maxiiiboy illustrated would've burned all the way back to the ground. There is no way the 15 amp fuse wouldn't have blown first. It's got to be driver issues from skipping an update or not updating the drivers.

You can see plain that the driver is damaged. Please make some sense here I can't take it.

I just bought 7.5 amp fuses and I'm beginning to suffer from the same symptom maxiiiboy suffers from!

Last edited by maximatech12; 05-16-2016 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 05:07 PM

It is unfortunate timing that the IACV shorted out and took the ECU with it. As it has been stated, it happens to many of these cars. A lot of the members here bypassed the coolant around the IACV to prevent this. But Nissan did design this wonderful time bomb into the cars.

Maxiiiboy spent a lot of time figuring out figuring out how to fuse the circuits so that it doesn't destroy the ECU. He has had good luck with his design but will be the first to tell you that he can't guarantee that it is 100% foolproof. FWIW, the transistors in the STA509A chip are designed to handle a 3 amp constant current with a 6 amp surge that lasts less than 100 microseconds. You need to look at the specifications for those fuses you bought and see what the reaction time is, i.e., how much current (amps) will cause them to blow and how quickly will they blow. Fuses are made to all different standards in this area. Basically, there are slow blow, regular and fast blow fuses. You would want the fast blow.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Id love to believe its just coolant but Even the damage to the driver that maxiiiboy illustrated would've burned all the way back to the ground. There is no way the 15 amp fuse wouldn't have blown first. It's got to be driver issues from skipping an update or not updating the drivers.
Your argument above does not make any sense. None.
With the OEM wiring, the 15A fuse (or the 7.5A fuse) can't protect the STA509A because this transistor can only sustain a 3A load (or a 6A load in pulse mode). There are several other devices on this fuse, and they may draw enough current so that a 7.5A fuse is required - as my experiments have shown. However, we can't guarantee that these devices will be always drawing at least (12-3)A = 9A at all times. (Or, with 7.5A fuse: 7.5-3=4.5A at all times). That's the problem!

..... the transistors in the STA509A chip are designed to handle a 3 amp constant current with a 6 amp surge that lasts less than 100 microseconds. You need to look at the specifications for those fuses you bought and see what the reaction time is, i.e., how much current (amps) will cause them to blow and how quickly will they blow. Fuses are made to all different standards in this area. Basically, there are slow blow, regular and fast blow fuses. You would want the fast blow.
Right on, Dennis.
Unfortunately, the only way to implement proper fusing is to cut/splice the wiring harness. I am coming to the conclusions that this might not be such a bad idea after all, but I heaven't done it yet.

I need to update my document first. I should do it soon. (If only there was a simpler way to edit those darned .pdf diagrams).

Final note: The "IACV problem" and the "Engine mount problem" have NOTHING in common. NOTHING! The Engine mounts and the IACV are driven by two different transistor drivers within the ECU, and are powered by two different power circuits and two different fuses. So, please: Do NOT mix up the two - you are just confusing the issues and ruining the conversation at hand.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:48 PM

It is unfortunate timing that the IACV shorted out and took the ECU with it. As it has been stated, it happens to many of these cars. A lot of the members here bypassed the coolant around the IACV to prevent this. But Nissan did design this wonderful time bomb into the cars.

Maxiiiboy spent a lot of time figuring out figuring out how to fuse the circuits so that it doesn't destroy the ECU. He has had good luck with his design but will be the first to tell you that he can't guarantee that it is 100% foolproof. FWIW, the transistors in the STA509A chip are designed to handle a 3 amp constant current with a 6 amp surge that lasts less than 100 microseconds. You need to look at the specifications for those fuses you bought and see what the reaction time is, i.e., how much current (amps) will cause them to blow and how quickly will they blow. Fuses are made to all different standards in this area. Basically, there are slow blow, regular and fast blow fuses. You would want the fast blow.
So are there new and improved throttles that have TPS/IACV mounting where this won't happen?
Old 05-20-2016, 11:04 PM
Bad *** Newb

So are there new and improved throttles that have TPS/IACV mounting where this won't happen?
IACV doesn't exist anymore.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:12 PM

The replacement parts are supposed to be built with improvements in 2 areas.

1) the chamber where the stepper motor is held is sealed better so that the coolant shouldn't get in and

2) the coating that insulates the wires is supposedly better so that the antifreeze won't eat through it.

Even if these 2 things are not true, think about this - it took 15 or so years to become a problem. Do you expect to have the car in the year 2030?
Old 05-22-2016, 12:55 AM
Bad *** Newb

The replacement parts are supposed to be built with improvements in 2 areas.

1) the chamber where the stepper motor is held is sealed better so that the coolant shouldn't get in and

2) the coating that insulates the wires is supposedly better so that the antifreeze won't eat through it.

Even if these 2 things are not true, think about this - it took 15 or so years to become a problem. Do you expect to have the car in the year 2030?
Oh, he was asking about replacement parts?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Your argument above does not make any sense. None.
With the OEM wiring, the 15A fuse (or the 7.5A fuse) can't protect the STA509A because this transistor can only sustain a 3A load (or a 6A load in pulse mode). There are several other devices on this fuse, and they may draw enough current so that a 7.5A fuse is required - as my experiments have shown. However, we can't guarantee that these devices will be always drawing at least (12-3)A = 9A at all times. (Or, with 7.5A fuse: 7.5-3=4.5A at all times). That's the problem!

Right on, Dennis.
Unfortunately, the only way to implement proper fusing is to cut/splice the wiring harness. I am coming to the conclusions that this might not be such a bad idea after all, but I heaven't done it yet.

I need to update my document first. I should do it soon. (If only there was a simpler way to edit those darned .pdf diagrams).

Final note: The "IACV problem" and the "Engine mount problem" have NOTHING in common. NOTHING! The Engine mounts and the IACV are driven by two different transistor drivers within the ECU, and are powered by two different power circuits and two different fuses. So, please: Do NOT mix up the two - you are just confusing the issues and ruining the conversation at hand.
Well I've implemented a 7.5 amp fuse in EngCont1 and now three weeks later the battery goes bad.
What's your views on this?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:55 AM

Well I've implemented a 7.5 amp fuse in EngCont1 and now three weeks later the battery goes bad.
take out all your fuses and see if that solves the problem
Old 06-01-2016, 10:01 AM

Just a coincidence.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
Just a coincidence.
Maybe your spring V.6 summary is not a great idea.

Maybe YOU should post less and read more pal!
Old 06-01-2016, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
take out all your fuses and see if that solves the problem
I wasn't looking for advise to damage my battery buddy I was reasonably discussing the damage to my ECM.
you and maxiiiboy have been damaging the reputation of the Org. by putting your cheap comments on every thread I comment on.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:36 AM

I wasn't looking for advise to damage my battery buddy I was reasonably discussing the damage to my ECM.
you and maxiiiboy have been damaging the reputation of the Org. by putting your cheap comments on every thread I comment on.
Are you kidding!?!?

maxiiiboy and cornholio are well respected members of the Org. If anyone's hurting the reputation here it's you with your off the wall questions, ideas and accusations.

Spend some time reading and learning the very basics of what we're talking about before putting together these elaborate theories. Do you even know what a fuse is, does or doesn't do?
Old 06-01-2016, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
Are you kidding!?!?

maxiiiboy and cornholio are well respected members of the Org. If anyone's hurting the reputation here it's you with your off the wall questions, ideas and accusations.

Spend some time reading and learning the very basics of what we're talking about before putting together these elaborate theories. Do you even know what a fuse is, does or doesn't do?
I don't know much bout batteries other than they feed the car a 12V DC current.

don't post as though your an automotive electrical engineer anymore if your not. Obviously the battery is damaged and it's probably because maxiiiboy posted to alter the fusing and I listened to him.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:08 PM

Are you kidding!?!?

Spare us all I have spent some time reading wrong information that will damage the battery in my car.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:03 PM

Are you kidding!?!?

In addition I think I know what a fuse is and does. It resists the amount of amperes to the circuit. It only allowed 7.5amps through to the circuit. It is very possible it damaged the battery. It would've taken a few weeks but it's possible.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:40 PM

I just had to fix my friends po505 error code. When it first popped up we immediately disconnected the front and rear engine mounts. Care started to idle rough after that. Took it home and started to over haul everything. Bought a used ecu but new iacv from nissan. Upon inspection the orginal ecu did not look damaged. After putting everything back together car still had po505 code. Tried to do re learn procedure ecu would not take it, not even with nissan consult. Threw in the used ecu, wha la worked, but i will say this the engine mounts have to be plug in to do the relearn procedure , so in some way it is connected. CHEERS
Old 06-01-2016, 02:50 PM

In addition I think I know what a fuse is and does. It resists the amount of amperes to the circuit. It only allowed 7.5amps through to the circuit. It is very possible it damaged the battery. It would've taken a few weeks but it's possible.
> It resists the amount of amperes to the circuit

what?

since you hate searching for answers i'll help you with this one. a fuse doesn't restrict or reduce amps in a circuit, it limits the maximum amps by physically breaking the circuit if the current exceeds fuse rating/capacity.

so a 7.5A fuse won't reduce a 10A or 15A current to 7.5A, the fuse would blow as soon as the current exceeded 7.5A. if your fuse didn't blow then your circuit never had a need for over 7.5A.

your speculation about the battery being damaged from changing this fuse is way off here
Old 06-01-2016, 03:35 PM

> It resists the amount of amperes to the circuit

what?

since you hate searching for answers i'll help you with this one. a fuse doesn't restrict or reduce amps in a circuit, it limits the maximum amps by physically breaking the circuit if the current exceeds fuse rating/capacity.

so a 7.5A fuse won't reduce a 10A or 15A current to 7.5A, the fuse would blow as soon as the current exceeded 7.5A. if your fuse didn't blow then your circuit never had a need for over 7.5A.

your speculation about the battery being damaged from changing this fuse is way off here
It doesn't just prevent 15 amps from coming through in the event of a short but it prevents anymore than 7.5amps from coming into the circuit. So your left with 7.5 amps that is unaccounted for. Go talk to an automotive electrical engineer about it. Don't tell anyone else to do that!
Old 06-01-2016, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
I just had to fix my friends po505 error code. When it first popped up we immediately disconnected the front and rear engine mounts. Care started to idle rough after that. Took it home and started to over haul everything. Bought a used ecu but new iacv from nissan. Upon inspection the orginal ecu did not look damaged. After putting everything back together car still had po505 code. Tried to do re learn procedure ecu would not take it, not even with nissan consult. Threw in the used ecu, wha la worked, but i will say this the engine mounts have to be plug in to do the relearn procedure , so in some way it is connected. CHEERS
What did you get a new ECU for? Were you getting a P0605 or Bad ECM code? Why would you have to disconnect the engine mounts? The circuit breaks off right before the ECM relay on the A33 and heads to the engine mounts. I think it then heads out to the TPS. The circuit runs through the same relay as the IACV but would that be the reason?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:55 PM

TSB NTB02-051a (P0138)

I got a used ecu because i wasnt paying $700 for a new one. I have access to ecus not a problem.I had a feeling the ecu was done. Because car wouldnt hold idle, i have access to the official nissan consult tool. I couldnt get a proper reading from the consult with the engine mounts unplugged. Once i plugged those in then the consult allowed me to move foward with tge idle re learn procedure.

Last edited by lux97Max; 06-01-2016 at 07:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM

It doesn't just prevent 15 amps from coming through in the event of a short but it prevents anymore than 7.5amps from coming into the circuit. So your left with 7.5 amps that is unaccounted for. Go talk to an automotive electrical engineer about it. Don't tell anyone else to do that!
So in other words, you have no idea what a fuse does or doesn't do. I'm not sure what "electrical engineer" told you that crap but you need to slap them because they're not even close.

For the record, a component draws what it needs from the battery regardless of the fuse. If there's a malfunction, and the draw increases, the fuse pops and kills the circuit to protect it. That's it, period. A fuse has no other regulating effect at all. Until it pops it's just another bit of wire.

If you don't know something then come up with an intelligent question. Don't go accusing respected members of breaking your car when they're trying to help you.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 06-01-2016 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
I got a used ecu because i wasnt paying $700 for a new one. I have access to ecus not a problem.I had a feeling the ecu was done. Because car wouldnt hold idle, i have access to the official nissan consult tool. I couldnt get a proper reading from the consult with the engine mounts unplugged. Once i plugged those in then the consult allowed me to move foward with tge idle re learn procedure.
wouldn't the consult detect trouble within the ECU?

So without a consult one way would be to test the IACV impedance with a volt meter. If you can pick up on the circuit you can disconnect the crankshaft sensor and/or coil packs and test the entire circuit with a volt meter for shorts. Getting the ECM schematics one would be able to test the circuits within the ECM as well. I wouldn't just replace the ECM on a feeling. It's important to pinpoint each issue to me.

With the idle re-learn I wouldn't know...:
Old 06-01-2016, 08:16 PM

Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 PM

Spare us all I have spent some time reading wrong information that will damage the battery in my car.
OH... MY... GOD!!!

Anyone remember Aviation005, aka planecrash?
"I do not let anyone tell me anything. When someone tries to teach you, theres a chance they can be wrong."

This guy drinketh from planecrash's cup of stupidity!

Last edited by DennisMik; 06-01-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 04:37 AM

smh
Old 06-02-2016, 04:55 AM
Bad *** Newb

smh

Old 06-02-2016, 06:33 AM

I won't take advise again from certain members.

Replacing a 15 amp fuse with a 7.5 amp is improper fusing and can damage the car.

Bypass the throttle can damage the car. These things take a few months/weeks to damage your car.

Stupid... well the only thing that's stupid here is members advising other maxima owners to improperly fuse the car.

If you replace a fuse in your car always observe the rated fuse and ALWAYS replace with the identical rated fusing.

Last edited by maximatech12; 06-02-2016 at 06:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2016, 07:08 AM

I won't take advise again from certain members.

Replacing a 15 amp fuse with a 7.5 amp is improper fusing and can damage the car.

Absolutely not! Swapping to a smaller fuse means the fuse will pop sooner if there's a malfunction. The fuse has ZERO effect on the circuit till it pops. You've been told this and could easily confirm this with two minutes on Google. I believe you've just crossed the line from ignorance to lying.

Bypass the throttle can damage the car. These things take a few months/weeks to damage your car.

Absolutely not. The coolant passes through a small void in the manifold and doesn't touch any moving parts, electronics etc...

Stupid... well the only thing that's stupid here is members advising other maxima owners to improperly fuse the car.

What's stupid is you not wanting to learn what a fuse is. The answers are right at your fingertips but you'd rather tell lies than learn something.

I've messaged a few members about their nationality because honestly Americans wouldn't get away with this type of ignorance.

The root word of "ignorance" is "ignore". You've been told the facts and you could easily confirm what you've been told. You've chosen to IGNORE the resources at your fingertips in order to stick to your crazy theories.

Last edited by Derrick2k2SE; 06-02-2016 at 07:15 AM.

Quick Reply: TSB NTB02-051a (P0138)