5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Experience With A Particular Power Steering Hose

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 AM

Experience With A Particular Power Steering Hose

Hello All. 03 GLE here. My power steering fluid has recently began slowly leaking and by slowly I mean I have to refill it once a week otherwise it whines. I read a few threads about the Power Steering Pressure Hose and it sounds like aftermarket solution will more than likely whine (I know some people say no but I had other cars before this that did not take well to aftermarket hoses). I took a look at the hoses on RockAuto but I don't like the way they look compared to factory. I can understand why they whine. BUT I did find one that looks interesting. Looks more like factory but have no experience with it. Can someone check it out? Maybe you've bought it before? Thank you!

http://www.1aauto.com/power-steering...e/i/1aspp00133

https://dvautoparts.com/discount-sto...w-lpjimirqjllm

2nd one is cheaper so that's nice. I'd normally buy good quality parts but I just don't care about this heap anymore. I just want it to get me around without breaking down. Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Bad *** Newb

https://www.amazon.com/Gates-365820-...+steering+hose
Old 08-27-2016, 12:45 PM

I saw all of these hoses on RockAuto (Including the rebranded Gates AC Delco hose) and I don't like the look of them compared to OEM hoses. The OEM has thicker/beefier looking ends for one. And what about the brackets? Otherwise, yes the Gates was the first one I looked at.Thanks.
Old 08-27-2016, 02:21 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Jibberish18
I saw all of these hoses on RockAuto (Including the rebranded Gates AC Delco hose) and I don't like the look of them compared to OEM hoses. The OEM has thicker/beefier looking ends for one. And what about the brackets? Otherwise, yes the Gates was the first one I looked at.Thanks.
It works fine, I have it. I bet it outlasts the car (definitely will if you haven't got rid of your precats lol).

Granted, I paid 51, so it was much more enticing, but I have no complaints, it does its job. It's been installed for 2 yrs.
Old 11-03-2016, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
It works fine, I have it. I bet it outlasts the car (definitely will if you haven't got rid of your precats lol).

Granted, I paid 51, so it was much more enticing, but I have no complaints, it does its job. It's been installed for 2 yrs.
I completely forgot to update this thread. I took my car to the mechanic because it just so happens my alternator died on me so I had to fix that and the power steering hose while I was at it. Now I always buy the parts and give them to my mechanic but this time since I had the car towed I just left him a little note and I guess he thought I told him to buy all the parts himself. Long story short I paid about $700 in repairs and he ended up using the Gates/Delco hose and in the end it whined whenever I turned the steering wheel lol. It's not bad but like everyone said, it definitely whines. My mechanic thought the pump might be going out. I tried to explain that it's the hose causing it but he was convinced it's the pump. So yeah. I really wanted to try the other hose too. Oh well.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Jibberish18
I completely forgot to update this thread. I took my car to the mechanic because it just so happens my alternator died on me so I had to fix that and the power steering hose while I was at it. Now I always buy the parts and give them to my mechanic but this time since I had the car towed I just left him a little note and I guess he thought I told him to buy all the parts himself. Long story short I paid about $700 in repairs and he ended up using the Gates/Delco hose and in the end it whined whenever I turned the steering wheel lol. It's not bad but like everyone said, it definitely whines. My mechanic thought the pump might be going out. I tried to explain that it's the hose causing it but he was convinced it's the pump. So yeah. I really wanted to try the other hose too. Oh well.
My Gates has been in for 62,000 miles and 6 years. Still whines like a '78 Ford LTD low on ps fluid. I just pretend I'm Kojak and deal with it.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:13 PM
Bad *** Newb

And I have zero whine... Same thing with other brands. Some report whine, some don't.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:03 AM

I watched the mechanic properly dead & live bleed my Edelmann hose after installing it a few weeks back. Despite that, it still whines at low speeds, like in parking lots. Flushing the system with MaxLife ATF didn't help either.

This hose cost 4X less than OEM and is bone dry, so I can live with a little buzzing.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by mclasser
I watched the mechanic properly dead & live bleed my Edelmann hose after installing it a few weeks back. Despite that, it still whines at low speeds, like in parking lots. Flushing the system with MaxLife ATF didn't help either.

This hose cost 4X less than OEM and is bone dry, so I can live with a little buzzing.
bummer, my edelmann is quiet. BUT i bought it knowing i could live with some noise if it came to that
Old 11-08-2016, 09:07 PM

Anything is better than a leaky one.

The return may need replacing too.
So what's that 5/8" hose? Universal is what I would do . What about a steel braided hose?

Last edited by maximatech12; 11-10-2016 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
Anything is better than a leaky one. The return may need replacing too. So what's that 5/8" hose? Universal is what I would do . What about a steel braided hose?
Leaking is definitely bad. A high pressure line like this can go quickly when it goes and it's a small reservoir. The one on my 00 was just a small drip but my 02 went quick. I was lucky that I happened to pull into a parking lot and smelled something. It was literally squirting out every time I moved the wheel. Before that it wasn't leaking a drop.

There is no universal hose. This is a high pressure hose with specific pressed fittings on each side.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:20 PM

Interesting.
So, if it's not the good/poor bleeding, what is it?
Have you tied, or not tied, your hose in the middle?
Old 11-10-2016, 06:56 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE

There is no universal hose. This is a high pressure hose with specific pressed fittings on each side.
He meant the supply hose. It's just a cluster**** paragraph. I initially read it the same way.
Old 11-10-2016, 03:05 PM

If I did it all over again I'd replace the P/S belt while I got the HP hose off. I used the OE suction hose but regret it because it ran me $80. Universal 5/8" > (?) hose will run you under $20 and work just the same
if it's leaking your belt is probably soaking up the oil while under high heat and tension
The pump gets pulled down to do this and puts a strain on the HP hose so it's easier to just replace the belt too.

Last edited by maximatech12; 11-10-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:02 PM

If I did it all over again I'd replace the P/S belt while I got the HP hose off. I used the OE suction hose but regret it because it ran me $80. Universal 5/8" > (?) hose will run you under $20 and work just the same
if it's leaking your belt is probably soaking up the oil while under high heat and tension
The pump gets pulled down to do this and puts a strain on the HP hose so it's easier to just replace the belt too.
You paid $80 for a suction hose You can get that sh^t from any auto parts store for like $10, molded in the same shape as OEM.

If a belt is soaked with fluid, you'll know because it'll squeal like a pig. Bigger concern is the LCA bushings swelling up from the hot fluid.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:52 PM

You don't need molded just cut s 5/8" hose the same size. Slip a slightly bigger hose over it where it runs past the exhaust tube and put some heat material over it.
If you get a hpps hose is get one with the foam + heat wrap .
They sell cheap one without just some aluminum sleeving > super cheap right? I believe the foam insulation helps insulate the hose

Last edited by maximatech12; 11-10-2016 at 05:54 PM.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:22 PM

^^Don't know why you're telling me this, brosef. If you knew all this, I ask again, why did you spend $80?

And all the aftermarket HPPS hoses I researched came wrapped in foil.
Old 11-10-2016, 08:15 PM

What do you mean "The pump gets pulled down"? Did you unbolt the pump to swap the hose? If you're talking about undoing the tensioner to loosen the belt it doesn't move the pump nearly enough to stress anything.

The belt shouldn't get wet unless the hose is really squirting. It usually drips down the hose and onto the pump behind the pulley. The belt is kind of a pain so I wouldn't touch it if I didn't have to. Other than having the car jacked up, there's no other connection between the two jobs.
Old 12-03-2016, 05:31 AM

And I have zero whine... Same thing with other brands. Some report whine, some don't.
I used a replacement brand from APW and it worked great!!
80 bucks and now I'm seeing it for $60!
But the whine could be from small leak in the suction nipple mounting to the pump? I say replace pump and whine will go away?
Old 12-03-2016, 08:18 AM

Aftermarket steering hose whine is to be expected....

One of few Maxima oddities
Old 12-03-2016, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by george__

I disagree ! These aftermarket hoses meet or exceed OE.
Gates, REPN, Duralalst, should all work GREAT!
Old 12-23-2016, 03:35 PM

Why not just cut the crimp out with a hacksaw and remove the old rubber then just band clamp a new hose on?
Old 12-23-2016, 04:03 PM

Why not just cut the crimp out with a hacksaw and remove the old rubber then just band clamp a new hose on?
If you have to ask this question you're in no position to offer any advice on the subject.

The whine from some aftermarket hoses is well documented by people who actually know something. Suggesting an expensive pump replacement is just irresponsible.

I used a replacement brand from APW and it worked great!!
80 bucks and now I'm seeing it for $60!
But the whine could be from small leak in the suction nipple mounting to the pump? I say replace pump and whine will go away?
I disagree ! These aftermarket hoses meet or exceed OE.
Gates, REPN, Duralalst, should all work GREAT!
Old 12-23-2016, 06:25 PM

If a belt is soaked with fluid, you'll know because it'll squeal like a pig. Bigger concern is the LCA bushings swelling up from the hot fluid.
all over the drive shaft and inner tie rod boot too! It soaks the entire area
so will it be ok to just cut the crimp out then replace rubber w/ band clamps?
Old 12-23-2016, 07:02 PM

all over the drive shaft and inner tie rod boot too! It soaks the entire area
so will it be ok to just cut the crimp out then replace rubber w/ band clamps?
No, the hose material is a special high pressure line. You wont find that at AutoZone. The crimping is done with a new crimp with a high pressure crimping machine. I've seen these lines made by a specialty shop we do business with. You're not going to do this at home.
Old 12-23-2016, 09:05 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
No, the hose material is a special high pressure line. You wont find that at AutoZone. The crimping is done with a new crimp with a high pressure crimping machine. I've seen these lines made by a specialty shop we do business with. You're not going to do this at home.
But if you do be sure to stick your face over it and have someone start the car
Old 12-24-2016, 06:37 AM

But if you do be sure to stick your face over it and have someone start the car
That's how you show commitment.

Be careful though. Someone here might read that and start giving it as expert advice from a "tech".
Old 03-22-2017, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by george__

Yeah I'd say if there is a pipe inside the rubber hose and you bend it or kink it it may whine.
The Nissan OEM has a metal pipe inside that flexes. This runs all the way through but has a break in the middle.
Maybe the cheaper hoses have non flex piping that could kink therefore causing a whine.
So yeah I guess the whine could be A defective hose. But you can't see through the hose there's no looking glass so it's real hard to say.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:53 PM

It's a craps shoot so just go Nissan OEM and pay the $300.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:01 PM

It's a craps shoot so just go Nissan OEM and pay the $300.
dafuq man you're all over this thread saying use the aftermarket hoses and then you come back with this months later?
Old 04-01-2017, 05:28 AM

Originally Posted by cornholio
dafuq man you're all over this thread saying use the aftermarket hoses and then you come back with this months later?
sorry bout that but Im wondering
I put some washers back in that I got out of my tool box to replace the OEM washers.
If the new replacement washers were 1/2mm thicker could this be the reason for the noise?
I'm running into this that the original washers fitting with the banjo bolts are all 1mm thick but it seems that most auto parts stores are selling assorted packs of the correct size but 1.5mm thick.

Last edited by maximatech12; 04-01-2017 at 06:04 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 06:22 AM

I need to replace my ps pressure hose, is there a certain type wrench to use, if so what size? short or long ?
Old 04-04-2017, 08:41 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxinout93
I need to replace my ps pressure hose, is there a certain type wrench to use, if so what size? short or long ?
For the top? Use the wrench that has a cut out in it (kind of like oxygen sensor wrench), I can't remember what it's called. Otherwise, you may strip the **** out of it. It's on there pretty tight.
Banjo just needs breaker bar or 1/2 ratchet with cheater.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:34 AM

For the top? Use the wrench that has a cut out in it (kind of like oxygen sensor wrench), I can't remember what it's called. Otherwise, you may strip the **** out of it. It's on there pretty tight.
Banjo just needs breaker bar or 1/2 ratchet with cheater.
two wrenches up top? One to hold the fitting mounted to the car and the other to break the nut loose. I didn't realize it at first when I began to remove it
#1 that the fitting that bolts to the frame and the hose are one piece.
#2 it actually is designed to grip with wrench and hold it while you break the nut loose.
If you try to loosen the nut without holding the fitting it could damage the piping where it connects to the rack

Last edited by maximatech12; 04-05-2017 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:53 PM
Bad *** Newb

two wrenches up top? One to hold the fitting mounted to the car and the other to break the nut loose. I didn't realize it at first when I began to remove it
#1 that the fitting that bolts to the frame is attached to the hose
#2 it actually is designed to grip with wrench and hold it while you break the nut loose.
If you try to loosen the nut without holding the fitting it could damage the piping where it connects to the rack
Yeah. I thought about it later, but I assumed it was obvious
Old 09-19-2017, 03:01 PM

Im seeing two copper washers with the aftrrmarket hoses on Rock Auto then I'm seeing a yellow piece.
My question is where does the yellow piece go?
I just went for the Eddelman but was unsure of where the yellow piece fits after the install.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Father of the 00 VI

i can't find a cheap suction hose for nothing. (return hose if you prefer)

Maximatech did you say 5/8 hose would work?
Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 AM

If they have 19/32" that might be a better match.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:10 AM

Im seeing two copper washers with the aftrrmarket hoses on Rock Auto then I'm seeing a yellow piece.
My question is where does the yellow piece go?
I just went for the Eddelman but was unsure of where the yellow piece fits after the install.
What's the yellow piece made of? If it's plastic it could be a plug to keep crap out of the hose during storage and shipping.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Or a cap for the pressure switch after removing it.

Quick Reply: Experience With A Particular Power Steering Hose