5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mild power steering leak, and our friend Mr Lucas's Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 11:20 AM

Mild power steering leak, and our friend Mr Lucas's Fluid

G'day all.

Just took the i30 in for an alignment check and my buddy who works there pointed out a small power steering leak. He seems to think it's coming from the pump itself, but we didn't dig far into it.

Would there be any harm or evil repercussions (other than wasting a few bucks if it doesn't work) if I try some of the Lucas stop-leak steering fluid?

I don't mind taking a chance before whipping out the wrenches. I just want to make sure there isn't a history of this stuff doing damage to the steering rack.

I did a search but the last thread on the topic was from 2009 and there might be new opinions or evidence since then.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:28 AM

Odds are the HP power steering hose is leaking.
Old 11-14-2016, 11:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think it would be really beneficial to pinpoint the leak and find out what's going on before dumping some Lucas in there.

Get some dye and a UV light and see what's going on. Most of the time it's the high pressure hose as mclasser said. In my case it was the fat return hose. I also have a bit of a leak coming from the yoke screw. I probably won't mess with that.

But, it really makes sense to understand where the leak is first.