5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

02 vq35 fuel injector replacement / installation

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 AM

02 vq35 fuel injector replacement / installation

Ok so ive had a rough idle / sputter while idle once the car is warm and a strong gas smell sometimes at startup. I replaced 3 fuel injectors / removed the fuel rail from the car but while I was putting everything back togather somehow the rail and fuel injectors seemed off balance so I kinda had to fight with the fuel rail on both sides so they would go in the holes evenly so i could tighten the rail down. But i kinda had to force the fuel injectors down into their hole which resulted in what im assuming is my problem now. Some of the fuel injectors bottoms/ cap and rubber peices got damaged upon installing. So it seems now as if one or more are not working properly. Any better way to install without damaging them? Do the sixth- gen m aximas have the same fuel injectors? Can they be used in our cars ? Vg35

Last edited by maxinout93; 01-15-2017 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:29 AM

I'm pretty sure the fuel smell is normal. The car runs rich out of the factory, and tag on a cold start to it, it's gonna smell of gas. Mine does it, I'm not concerned.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:10 AM

If you have to force anything into place when repairing cars, something's wrong.

You probably damaged the o-rings and need new ones. Dip the injector tips into some gas to facilitate installation.
Old 01-15-2017, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Ok so ive had a rough idle / sputter while idle once the car is warm and a strong gas smell sometimes at startup. I replaced 3 fuel injectors / removed the fuel rail from the car but while I was putting everything back togather somehow the rail and fuel injectors seemed off balance so I kinda had to fight with the fuel rail on both sides so they would go in the holes evenly so i could tighten the rail down. But i kinda had to force the fuel injectors down into their hole which resulted in what im assuming is my problem now. Some of the fuel injectors bottoms/ cap and rubber peices got damaged upon installing. So it seems now as if one or more are not working properly. Any better way to install without damaging them? Do the sixth- gen m aximas have the same fuel injectors? Can they be used in our cars ? Vg35
Originally Posted by mclasser
If you have to force anything into place when repairing cars, something's wrong.

You probably damaged the o-rings and need new ones. Dip the injector tips into some gas to facilitate installation.
Yeah I believe I did damage atat least 2 of the o-rings. Are they expensive from the dealer?
Old 01-15-2017, 05:26 PM

Yeah $5/piece
Sounds like you got bad injectors
Maybe they're defective.
It's not normal to smell fuel ever unless your filling up! Pull the injectors clip them to the rail then turn on the ignition
​​​​if you hold the rail up and see dripping fuel it means they're bad
Old 01-15-2017, 06:34 PM

As long as the o-ring retainers aren't cracked or have big gouges you're all right. The same applies to the o-rings. The 6th gen injectors have a higher flow rate per minute probably 310 or 315cc compared to 300cc for 5.5 gen, but I'm not 100% on that rate and not sure if they're drop in compatible.
Next time use engine oil to lube the o-rings. This is how I did it with no problems. Apply engine oil to the o-rings. Put them in the intake manifold first, you'll hear them snap in when they're seated. Give them a few little twists back and forth to be sure the o-rings aren't binding. Then put the fuel rail over the injectors. Once again give them a couple twists to make sure the o-rings aren't binding. Then put the clips on. Putting the clips on at this point isn't easy but is possible. And it can be done without bending them up. You have to put them on from the backside. You can make room by slightly moving the rail around. Make sure the clips are on right. There is a grove on the clip that seats on the lip of the fuel rail. If you did mess up the O-rings or o-ring retainers you can order them online from a place like injector-rehab.com They're Bosch Type 3 retainers just verify the measurements. Or send them all out and for ~$120 they can be cleaned, flow tested, leak tested, and have all new o-rings and retainers put on.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:12 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Petroleum jelly

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Yeah I believe I did damage atat least 2 of the o-rings. Are they expensive from the dealer?
i always used petroleum jelly around the O-rings not a lot just a little and it should solve the problem
Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM

well thanks for everyones response, the same day i posted this the problem became worse a to the point of the car stalling when ever i came to a stop and its never stalled before. So i took the time to pull the rail with the injectors still attached and turned the ignition switch on and at least 3 of the injectors were damp with fuel. Now i dont know if they were sopposed to be or normal but i changed them out. I was careful and put oil on all the o-rings top and bottom: I seated the injectors in the intake manifold first and then gave a twist to make sure they were not stuck. I then put the clips on and then the fuel rail. I was nervous at first because i didnt think that the fuel injectors were gonna be pushed in far enough in the rail, so i made sure all clips were on right then tighnen down the rail hoping i did it right and didnt have to remove the manifold again lol. Well she fired right up and hasnt stalled since.
Old 02-04-2017, 07:45 AM

Ok im trying to figure out how to test the fuel injectors. I do have an ohm meter but under what setting do I test them? Does key need to be on?
Old 10-04-2020, 03:30 AM

Quick question regarding fuel injectors:
do fuel injector cleaner additives clean your fuel injectors better if you put in a bunch of fuel injector cleaner in a near empty tank and rip it for about 5 miles or so? I feel like it works but I need to know if that fuel injector cleaner Nissan has actually cleans better, I really don't want to be like this guy and having to replace them because it sounds like a hassle.